Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving from UTV to BT - least painful procedure?

Options
  • 18-10-2006 11:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 23

Before UTV force me into another 6-month minimum contract period, I'm going to brave the BT billing system and make the move...

I've seen bits and pieces in lots of posts, but no definitive guide on the best way to switch. If we come up with one here, maybe a moderator would like to copy and paste into a Sticky thread?

So this is the procedure as far as I am aware. Please post updates, corrections and comments as necessary.
    1. Order from BT, over the phone (is there online ordering system still losing orders?).

Bear in mind that if you are living in rented accommodation, they require a deposit, even though they might not tell you that. (Is this still the case, and is it e120?)
      Also, if you already have a DSL modem (other than the one you need to return to UTV), make sure to tell them that when ordering so that the connection fee is waived.

2. Fill in and return the DSL Transfer Authorisation Form they send you.
    3. Set up a Direct Debit to pay for the BB.
    4. ....wait until the transfer happens (how do you know - do BT contact you?)
    5. Set up your new/existing modem with your new account settings from BT
    6. Notify UTV that you are cancelling, and return their modem.

One other question...

How long does the transfer usually take, or what time of the month should you start the process, so that you have time to cancel with UTV before they charge you for an extra month's service?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭Beano

I've been with UTv since they started doing broadband and I havent heard anything about being forced into another 6-month minimum contract period. Can you explain what you mean by this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 abcd

Beano wrote:
    I've been with UTv since they started doing broadband and I havent heard anything about being forced into another 6-month minimum contract period. Can you explain what you mean by this?

In the last few days they've introduced price reductions on all but the most basic BB package (Look at their website or log in to your UTV account to see them, e.g. the standard package has dropped from 29.99 per month to 20.99). There's a thread here about this too.

However, if you are an existing customer, to qualify for these lower prices, you need to enter into a new 6-month minimum contract, and sign up to their new terms and conditions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 208 ✭✭monkey24

I honestly think you should think twice regarding BT. I have been trying to order their package for the past 3 days. They are without doubt the worst company I have had to deal with. They lost my online order. I have never managed to talk to a Sales or Customer service rep without having to order a call back after being put on hold for an hour. When I do get one, they don't have a clue what to do, put me on hold and eventually tell me they will get someone to ring me back. Honestly, I cannot believe they are an actual company, they are useless. All I want to do is order something from them thats it. I hear their billing system is even worse so am thinking of just going with eircom.

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭dogpile

I applied online for BT 2 weeks ago, got an automated email instantly telling me there was a problem with my application someone would be in touch..5 days later I get a call asking me for details I'd originally filled out online..yesterday 1 week later I get another call asking me do I require an application through the post? I said I had gotten a call last week where I gave relevant details:rolleyes: 2nd caller was unaware of this and said ok you should be set up then...3rd call today to say I have been set up and will recieve what I need in 2 weeks....should I hold my breath:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 abcd

I know its been a while since I posted this, but one last try. Has anyone got any comments on the correctness / accuracy of this switching procedure?

• Advertisement
Advertisement