Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The people of the Amish Community ?..

Options
  • 19-10-2006 2:55am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,797 ✭✭✭

For many years I have been aware of the Amish Community, their lifestyle and beliefs. The dignity in which they dealt with their recent tragedies has only served to strengthen my personal belief that their sinple lifestyles.

Can teach us a lot, in a world where technology and instant communication, has not brought happiness to so many human beings.

Do we have lessons to learn from them, I would be interested in your views ?..

P. :cool:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭JIZZLORD

this has absolutely nothing to do with the northwest, so why bother posting it here?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,797 ✭✭✭Paddy20

JIZZLORD wrote:
    this has absolutely nothing to do with the northwest, so why bother posting it here?

If you truly believe that the North-West and it's members interests are only restricted to issues 'resticted to the North-West' of Ireland, that do not encompass humanity as a whole, then I feel sorry for you as an individual.

Let other members decide if the subject is relevant as they are members of the human race ?..and at times I freely admit that matters that concern me personally, may become threads on this my home-area forum, and for that 'as a commited human being','I will never apologise to anyone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,650 ✭✭✭shayser

Don't know a whole lot about them, but absoutely agree with you regarding their recent tragedy. While corporate and political America is currently hell bent on an exploitative, murderous and revengeful crusade, the manner in which this community responded to their tragedy was moving. I learned from it.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Tall Tom

I live about 45 minutes - 1 hours from where that incident happened, and it really affected a lot of us here. The Amish people are the kindest and friendliest people you will ever meet in your life. I don't know if it was broadcasted over there, but the oldest of the girls being held hostage asked to be first to be shot in hopes that the younger girls would be freed eventually.:(

Last week, the Amish were going to tear down the school to put that bad memory behind then. A local construction company went to the Amish and offered to level it and remove the remains for free. That building was gone in 1/2 a day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭deman

We all have a lot to learn from the Amish community. The whole world would be living in peace and harmony if we could follow their ways. The truth of it all is, however, we can't.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

Yes you can. I don't think we need to subscribe to Amish (or any other cultures) beliefs or practises lock stock and barrel, but we can take on board the kindness and compassion. There's still room for that in our society I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭bettlebrox

Paddy20 wrote:
    If you truly believe that the North-West and it's members interests are only restricted to issues 'resticted to the North-West' of Ireland, that do not encompass humanity as a whole, then I feel sorry for you as an individual.
    Paddy, forums are setup to deal with certain subjects. Would you talk about Photography in the Mythology forum? Would U talk about the Leaving Cert in the Junior Cert forum? What happened to those children was awful, but what is the relevance to the NW forum?
    Paddy20 wrote:
    Let other members decide if the subject is relevant as they are members of the human race ?..and at times I freely admit that matters that concern me personally, may become threads on this my home-area forum, and for that 'as a commited human being','I will never apologise to anyone.
    We all know you have a big heart, and appreciate you for it. But, rules are for a reason, if people posted anything they wanted in any forum how would people find what interests them?

What you could do, is invite people U know from the NW forum to comment on subjects you start in other forum. Or start using the Blog things boards.ie has and link to the new threads you start.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭deman

bettlebrox wrote:
    Paddy, forums are setup to deal with certain subjects. Would you talk about Photography in the Mythology forum? Would U talk about the Leaving Cert in the Junior Cert forum?

Maybe boards.ie should think about starting up a forum "Brutal Murders".:confused:
    I for one welcome non-NW topics in the NW forum from time to time.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

In most of the other forums the OP would have gotten a ban for repeatedly posting on topics that have nothing to do with the forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 46,095 ✭✭✭✭muffler

In most of the other forums the OP would have gotten a ban for repeatedly posting on topics that have nothing to do with the forum.
    And in most of the other forums the users would leave it to the mods to decide what is right and wrong. You are behaving like the soccer player running up to the ref looking to get another player booked. That by the way is a yellow card offense nowadays.

This is not the first time you have questioned the moderation of this forum and if you are not happy with it take it up somewhere else

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Whilst I agree that the Amish are an amiable and admirable group of people from whom we can all learn (barn raising etc...), I view their religious beliefs as laughable and partly xenophobic. That said, they do vary massively from community to community.

The fact that they live independently and peacefully should not be enough to gain praise from outsiders.

They kinda remind me of the episode of the Simpsons with "The Leader"

I believe the North - West forum members like to express their opinions on humanatarian issues, that may be of concern to them.

Broadening topics/threads, helps get rid of ignorance, which is exactly why my threads tend to cover a wide spectrum of human affairs, and I appreciate the views of my fellow N.W. Forum members.

It is also interesting to note that someone gave this ths thread a Star ;) , that must tell you and the rest of us something that is heartening about people from the North-West ?..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭JIZZLORD

This board is for discussions relating only to the to the North West region. It can be used for news, sport, or anything that you wish to discuss on in the North West area..

straight out of the charter!

the northwest has nothing to do with the amish community, i believe there is a reformed amish community in waterford. i just feel that this has absolutely nothing to do with our region, i'm not being heartless, i believe that what happened truly was horrific, but such topics belong in somewhere such as spirituality.

What he said only more diplomatically than I.

How about I suggest Paddy20 that you swop Amish for Travellers in your post?

• Registered Users Posts: 46,095 ✭✭✭✭muffler

This thread seems to be annoying one or two people who appear to want to do the modding duties round here. This is how I see it.

Paddy20's original post give a short general summary of the Amish community and their lifestyle and invited comments on the possibility of people in the North West learning from their amiable approach to life and I quote from Paddy's post: "Do we have lessons to learn from them"

Paddy's intentions seem to be along the lines that we could all take a leaf out of the Amish community's book which is something that could be discussed in a lot of forums (or fora). I dont think it was ever his intention to invite debate about the Amish people or how they could live or integrate in the North West but merely using their traditions as a springboard to encourage discussions on things we could do to be more humble perhaps.

Maybe not one of Paddy's usual anti establishment rants but I can see plenty of reason to leave the thread open.

Peace brothers! :)

muffler wrote:
    This thread seems to be annoying one or two people who appear to want to do the modding duties round here. This is how I see it.

Paddy20's original post give a short general summary of the Amish community and their lifestyle and invited comments on the possibility of people in the North West learning from their amiable approach to life and I quote from Paddy's post: "Do we have lessons to learn from them"

Paddy's intentions seem to be along the lines that we could all take a leaf out of the Amish community's book which is something that could be discussed in a lot of forums (or fora). I dont think it was ever his intention to invite debate about the Amish people or how they could live or integrate in the North West but merely using their traditions as a springboard to encourage discussions on things we could do to be more humble perhaps.

Maybe not one of Paddy's usual anti establishment rants but I can see plenty of reason to leave the thread open.

Peace brothers! :)

Spot on muffler,

I also note that members have now given this thread '3 Stars' ;) .Now that must make the knockers think and appreciate our N.W. Forum members unblinkered views and opinions :) .:)

One of this threads Stars has been deleted ?...

As I have never had a thread with stars before, I would love to know who deleted the star, and why ?..

After all this is just a thread on a forum on Boards.ie. It is not something to be taken so seriously, or treated in a petty minded manner.

Is the person responsible prepared to openly admit it was them ??, as I am a bit confused :D

• Registered Users Posts: 78,404 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Paddy20 wrote:
    One of this threads Stars has been deleted ?...
    The stars are averaged. The first person gave the thread 1 star out of 5 (terrible), someone balanced that with a good mark resulting in an average socre overall, then someone else gave it a bad score, reducing the average again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,888 ✭✭✭nanook

paddy the public are staring to vote, before they could speak but now they are voting.

Good topic, dont see the relevance to the NW if it is opinions your are looking for.

Dont want to go against muffler here but i would have suggested this may be better suited to the After Hours section.

Victor wrote:
    The stars are averaged. The first person gave the thread 1 star out of 5 (terrible), someone balanced that with a good mark resulting in an average socre overall, then someone else gave it a bad score, reducing the average again.

Victor,

Thanks for the explanation, as I never knew how *Stars worked. :)

• Advertisement

nanook wrote:
    paddy the public are staring to vote, before they could speak but now they are voting.

Good topic, dont see the relevance to the NW if it is opinions your are looking for.

Dont want to go against muffler here but i would have suggested this may be better suited to the After Hours section.

nanook,

I am not sure what you mean. I thought voting was to do with poll's ?..

Anyway I personally would love to see an Amish Community in the North West, which probably has a lot to do with my reason for posting this thread on the N.W. Forum.;) .

There is some method in my madness !.

I recall coming across the screamers when they were in Bunbeg. They were like very noisy Amish.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,888 ✭✭✭nanook

i know its off topic but i thougt the screamers where in burtonport

• Registered Users Posts: 14,298 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

nanook wrote:
    i know its off topic but i thougt the screamers where in burtonport

yeah they were definitely in burtonport...ive never heard of them being in bunbeg.

I meant that I could hear them in Bunbeg :D

Actually two of them arrived down one time to the office dress up in 18th centruy garb and enquired about getting their computer fixed....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 421 ✭✭superdudeman007

Are you aware of the irony of using an internet message board to show how much you admire a community that lives without electricity and luxuries?

Are you aware of the irony of using an internet message board to show how much you admire a community that lives without electricity and luxuries?

superdudeman007,

I totally agree with you, it is ironic ;) .

Advertisement