Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Would you keep your convictions to your death bed?

• 19-10-2006 8:26am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭

If you were lying on the bed dying, knowing that the end is near... would you pray? would you call for a priest? would you pledge your allegiance to god?

Or would you be too principled? ;)

Would you keep your convictions to the end? 34 votes

Yes
    0% 0 votes
    No
    67% 23 votes
    Dunno
    14% 5 votes
    Atari shaguar
    17% 6 votes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

Déja Vu springs to mind,

I recall seeing a very similar thread not so long ago

Edit, found it http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2054954298

eh, forgot it was my own, but anywho what the hey.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

I'm nearly sure there is another thread floating around on this, I recall saying I would send out for enough booze and drugs to kill a horse or sumsuch... tis how I'd like to go

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,624 ✭✭✭Conar

Yep. I don't intend to ever believe in fairytales :D

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

FWIW, I picked dunno.

Maybe I'll live to be 100 and my brain will be pickled enough to let me believe the happy stuff.
    Would never call a priest though.

OT, I'd say in 70 odd years time most priests will probably be Chinese with the odd African.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,737 ✭✭✭Asiaprod

Beruthiel wrote:
    I'm nearly sure there is another thread floating around on this, I recall saying I would send out for enough booze and drugs to kill a horse or sumsuch... tis how I'd like to go
    Don't forget to invite me, sounds like it will be a great party:D

• Advertisement

Asiaprod wrote:
    Don't forget to invite me, sounds like it will be a great party:D

You'll have to be quick, I'm on my death bed after all!
    There are loads of drugs I'd like to try but never stupid enough while there is still a tomorrow, death bed, no consequences, sounds like the perfect time :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭legspin

I would like to think I would still be compos mentos enought to hunt any god botherer that came anywhere near me. Having said that, at the funeral I want Led Zep's 'Stairway...' and AC/DC's 'Highway...' played just to cover my bases:p

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

Beruthiel wrote:
    You'll have to be quick, I'm on my death bed after all!
    There are loads of drugs I'd like to try but never stupid enough while there is still a tomorrow, death bed, no consequences, sounds like the perfect time :D

That makes a lot of sense! Why not shuffle off this mortal coil completely off your head thinking your a pink unicorn master of the universe rather than feeling sorry for yourself or telling yourself that you can finally cash in that good behaviour cheque.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

5uspect wrote:
    That makes a lot of sense! Why not shuffle off this mortal coil completely off your head thinking your a pink unicorn master of the universe rather than feeling sorry for yourself or telling yourself that you can finally cash in that good behaviour cheque.:)

Yeah, but it would need planning, make sure you get to try as much as possible before you OD, ha.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭Crucifix

I want to say yes, but as an agnostic I feel I should say "dunno".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Unless whatever is killing me also makes me really stupid, yes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 377 ✭✭sonic juice

I would laugh then when I'm dead well then I wouldn't be laughing anymore.Call a priest?what a bummer before you die and you get some moaning...what good is praying?if god does exit you think he/she will befriend you for calling him names all your life then saying God help me at the last second,not that it matters because there is no such god in the way our imaginations have etched.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,283 ✭✭✭✭Scofflaw

I'd go with Pascal's Wager.

There are a variety of religions that require only a specific statement for you to be "saved". If I have enough time, I plan on running through them all, accepting everyone from Krishna to Christ.

cordially,
    Scofflaw

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,420 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

> I'd go with Pascal's Wager.

I hope that you're going to include a prayer to the FSM too, just in case that's the right story :)

I'm still waiting for any of our christian friends to tell me if it's ok simply to say: "I accept the truth of the one religion which is entirely true and which also requires me to accept it as true before death, so that I can gain the rewards promised." That covers a large class of religions, not just the ones listed. A meta-religion, so to speak.

Scofflaw wrote:

There are a variety of religions that require only a specific statement for you to be "saved". If I have enough time, I plan on running through them all, accepting everyone from Krishna to Christ.

But don't you have to actually mean it? :D

Beruthiel wrote:

For a lot of religions, apparently not - the formula is sufficient. For many non-Abrahamic religions, there is also no exclusivist requirement - it is possible to have multiple faiths.

For early Christianity, baptism was usually left to the deathbed, since the sacrament is seen as washing away sins.

cordially,
    Scofflaw

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

DaveMcG wrote:
    If you were lying on the bed dying, knowing that the end is near... would you pray? would you call for a priest? would you pledge your allegiance to god?

Or would you be too principled? ;)

If it made me feel better you're damn right I would :D

I don't owe anyone my atheism, if someone said "I'll blow your head off if you don't say you love Jesus" I would start singing and dancing like the church in the Blues Brothers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 279 ✭✭adam_ccfc

I picked yes, as I cannot foresee ANY event (including impending death) which would change my views on the matter.

Scofflaw wrote:

I forgot to mention that one has to start with the Biblical God, on account of the First Commandment.

cordially,
    Scofflaw

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭bluto63

Beruthiel wrote:

That's why I feel it would be a waste of time.

• Advertisement
Advertisement