Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Opel Astra

Options
  • 19-10-2006 8:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭

Friends:

What do u think about Opel Astra Car

I have two options for this Car:

1- 1997 Astra 1.6, one owner, New Tyres, Full service history

2- 1998 Astra 1.4, 3 owner, would need new tyres, 3 owner

the second one is cheaper than the first one, it is less by about 300 Euro, both of them low mileage around 50000

need advice plz

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭ballinloughan

First one sonuds like the one to go for ...
    I had a 92 1.4 years ago and drove in until 115,000 no problem ..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭kluivert

1.6 engine might be a 8v unit, the 1.8 16v ecotec is well proven will not give you any trouble and is easy on fuel for a 1.8. 1.8 all the way.

I have a 1.4 and it still going strong. Regular maintenance of the ecotec engine will see it last a very long time. Check timing belt change, revised to every 40k miles. 1.8 oil filter is at the back of the engine as well.

If you want a full opinion log onto www.astra-sport.co.uk these boys know the car inside and out. If I ever had a problem I went here first. They have saved me €€€'s

• Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭mmalaka

ok the 2nd car is 1.4 not 1.8

so??

mmalaka wrote:
    ok the 2nd car is 1.4 not 1.8

so??

Sorry

I would go with the 1.4, Astra Mk4 is far better car than the Mk3.

• Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭mmalaka

I do not know what u mean by MK4 and MK3??!!!

So Mk4 is the 1.4 ??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

The MkIII Astra was on available from 1991 - 1998:
    mikeodwyerAstRed688.jpg

The MkIV Astra is the newer model from 1998 - 2004:
    costellomotorsAstBlu616.jpg

As already mentioned the Astra needs the timing belt changed every 40k miles plus the water pump also needs replacing at the same time too.

Another dodgy thing in the 1991 - 1998 Astra is the fuel pump.

If you can stretch your budget to a post 1998 MkIV Astra then go for that one. The newer the better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 687 ✭✭✭Tush

Let the battery go dead in my Astra Key and just recently replaced it with a new one,but the prob is the central locking wont work now.think the key may need to be coded again,can you do this yourself or must you bring it to a dealers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

Had a 2000 astra 1.4 a while ago I bought second hand from merlin motor city. It was the worst car I have ever owned. Slow....heavy....ugly...I had a bad problem with the breaks. It stopped working for no reason twice and the AA had to come and rescue me. I sold it on as quick as possible. Not to say they are all bad and the new sport version looks great but I had a bad time with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

Assuming both are the same model and both have had timing belts & water pumps done, I'd go for the 97. 1 owner and FSH vs. 3 owners and no SH is not a difficult choice.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Silverfish

Tush wrote:
    Let the battery go dead in my Astra Key and just recently replaced it with a new one,but the prob is the central locking wont work now.think the key may need to be coded again,can you do this yourself or must you bring it to a dealers.

Put the key in the car, turn it once, hit the lock button, and hit it again within 30 seconds, this should re-code the key.

I have a 00 Astra 1.4, love it to bits, handles lovely and gives very little trouble. All I can say though is don't on your life let the casing on the wing mirrors get broken.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,680 ✭✭✭Skyuser

Silverfish wrote:
    I have a 00 Astra 1.4, love it to bits, handles lovely and gives very little trouble. All I can say though is don't on your life let the casing on the wing mirrors get broken.
    Mine got broke. Why do you say this. I also saw THREE astras parked in the same car park with a broken wing mirror case :D

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Silverfish

Skyuser wrote:
    Mine got broke. Why do you say this. I also saw THREE astras parked in the same car park with a broken wing mirror case :D

Well, the plastic bit that clips on over the frame costs 80 euro, the paint is another 20 euro or something, and to get it sprayed ( by Opel, if you're a mug) costs 60 euro.

Slow Heavy and Ugly - what where you driving before hand - a Beamer or Merc.

Astra is a class car, cheaper than the Golf, quicker than the 1.4 Golf, less known faults than the Golf (See Honest John), better handling than the Golf. But people will still pay big money for a Golf.

Personally am a fan of the new Golf's but the new Astra again beats the new Golf again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

Slow....its a 1.4 petrol and I had a saloon....contenental drift goes from 0-60 faster. Heavy....well its no lotus is it. Ugly....well beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Before the astra I had a scoda fabia....and after a mazda 3. Lets get real here its an opel and has a small engine in a big heavy body. Mine depreciated 3500 euro in the 6 months I had it. This was just my history with the car. Am sure others (espically those who currently are stuck with one) love it.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 jmd

Check was the Overhead Gasket replaced they temded to go around the 50 -60K mark. The 1999- 2000 model didn't seem to have this problem

• Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭danger_mouse_tm

Silverfish wrote:
    Well, the plastic bit that clips on over the frame costs 80 euro, the paint is another 20 euro or something, and to get it sprayed ( by Opel, if you're a mug) costs 60 euro.

I was that mug! 00 silver astra DTI2.0 best car ever. Some cow flying up the canal road in Naas rusing for the school in her 97 battered dawoo smacked my mirror, five minute of arguing later I'm on my way up to the opel dealer, "just fix it, whatever it costs". went back a couple of hours later ( after i calmed down) and parted with over 150 euro!! Went down to roscommon that night for a booze up.. left the hotel the following morning to find that someone had taken a fancy to my new wing mirror frame and had made off with it! Scumbags! Drove around Roscommon for ages before i found another silver astra:D

• Registered Users Posts: 16 jmd

Sorry Danger_Mouse that that happened in my town, Thugs know no boundries of course.

Advertisement