Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trees Budding Out of Season

Options
  • 19-10-2006 9:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 22,777 ✭✭✭✭

At the weekend I was speaking with a mate of mine who works in a park in North County Dublin.
    My mate was telling me that he has noticed that quite a number of trees in the park are starting to sprout new buds out of season.

This chap has been working in the park for over 15 years & tells me that this is the first year ever that this has been seen. Has anyone else noticed this in their locality? Anyone know if there are any implications for trees getting their knickers in a twist like this?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭Roen

Yeah it's happening in the back garden too, the poppies are out again and the camellias are budding this week. I think I mentioned in an earlier post about seeing Dragonflies out and about in the second week of Oct too.
    I guess it's just very mild. I know the weather has been crap for the past week but so far this month it's been good.
    I don't really know what the implications will be but I guess that the frost will kill off the buds and the tree/flower will recover again come Spring.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭artieanna

My raspberry bushes are fruiting again, picked some lovely ripe ones today....very bizarre....must be the mild weather.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Your mate mustn't be very observant. There are of course buds forming on trees; Ash, Chestnut and Sycamore are the most noticeable. Catkins are forming on Hazel. This is all perfectly normal for October. Likewise the daffodils breaking through the soil and the odd flower on rhododendrums.:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭Roen

Rhodys are flowering again down here as you mentioned Srameen.

Advertisement