Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boardwalk is a health hazard!!

Options
  • 19-10-2006 9:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Thanks to the LUAS being f*cked up yet AGAIN I had to walk in the rain up to Tara st station.

I walked down the boardwalk along Eden quay - ironically because there's so many broken paving stones I didn't want to trip in the rain - slipped twice and then fell onto my right knee and now it's pretty badly cut and i'm in a lot of pain.

There's hardly any leaves on the boardwalk so it was the actual surface that was causing the problem. Other people were slipping around too. I wasn't wearing unsuitable footwear at all.

How long I wonder, before someone breaks a limb and sues Dublin corpo? :mad:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,643 ✭✭✭magpie

I love this stuff. There are also ferociously slippery paving stones on Grafton Street (the decorative ones that are every 5 stones or so).

In fairness nobody could've expected anyone to specify non-slip surfacing materials. Its not like it rains here very much, is it?

Idiots.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

magpie wrote:
    I love this stuff. There are also ferociously slippery paving stones on Grafton Street (the decorative ones that are every 5 stones or so).

In fairness nobody could've expected anyone to specify non-slip surfacing materials. Its not like it rains here very much, is it?

Idiots.

I don't think it's the surface that's the problem, I think the wood hasn't been treated properly so there is probably gungey mould growing on it that causes it to turn into an ice rink in the wet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 Rooshter

eth0_ wrote:
    I walked down the boardwalk along Eden quay - ironically because there's so many broken paving stones I didn't want to trip in the rain - slipped twice and then fell onto my right knee and now it's pretty badly cut and i'm in a lot of pain.

Even if it was dry you could just as easily have tripped over some junkie's legs or slipped on a syringe - that boardwalk is a health hazard in any weather!:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,505 ✭✭✭daymobrew

eth0_ wrote:
    They might plead ignorance until someone tells them (hint, hint).
    When you talk to them (though finding the right person will take a while), they might have a good explanation for the situation and might even have a plan.

Yesterday I rang DCC about flooding on East Wall Road (from the rain on Tuesday). I was somewhat surprised to find that they know about the issue, though less than happy that a dispute over who damaged the drains that is preventing it being fixed. So, give them a call! Be persistent and don't be afraid to write to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭lightening

Are Dubliners getting like Americans? Will we have to put signs up everywhere,

"slippery surface"

"rain my cause surface to be wet and slippery"

"ice is slippy, there is a chance you will fall"

People trip up, they slip, they fall. I fell going down the steps of the ha'penny bridge. You don't always have to look for someone to sue.

• Advertisement

lightening wrote:

People trip up, they slip, they fall. I fell going down the steps of the ha'penny bridge. You don't always have to look for someone to sue.

WHERE DID I MENTION SUEING ANYONE????
    Read the post before you reply in future!

eth0_ wrote:

There is where you mentioned someone sueing someone, take a chill pill, relax with the upper case typing... The post was not directed at you, just a general comment.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

well the more people that sue, the more likely DCC will fix the problem - a bit of a catch 22 situation really :)

irishbird wrote:
    well the more people that sue, the more likely DCC will fix the problem - a bit of a catch 22 situation really :)
    What about the phone? If you don't get a result you can write to DCC. You could contact the local councillors.
    You will definitely get a reaction if you contact the County Manager.

My mother rang me today to tell me about an article that was in the Evening Herald yesterday (Friday) about the boardwalk turning into an "ice rink".
    She quoted me VERBATIM what I had written in my original post here!

lol

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

lol, you're famous :p Perhaps when you're telling people about it, don't mention what paper it is :o;)

Well... if its in the Herald, its gotta be true. Go and sue the government.

• What's with the sarcastic replies? They SHOULD put up signs if it's genuinely dangerous. In a country with as much rain as Ireland, there shouldn't be surfaces which are dangerous when wet.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

What's with the sarcastic replies? They SHOULD put up signs if it's genuinely dangerous.
    Thatis ridiculous. What next? Signs informing, or 'warning' us that the pavement is hard and we may be hurt if we fall on it?
    Leaving your house is a calculated risk, a bit of caution on your own part will go a long way. You shouldn't need someone to tell you what is and isn't safe.

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭Pines

Thatis ridiculous. What next? Signs informing, or 'warning' us that the pavement is hard and we may be hurt if we fall on it?

Think of the muppets who went into the lion enclosure in Dublin Zoo a few months back. Should the lion enclosure have carried warnings? No, for as you point out, you know that you'll get hurt if you go into the lion's den, so no signs are warranted. But the analogy ends there. Say the lions and tigers were in a part of the Zoo that was free roaming and you could walk through an unsigned gate to get there - then you'd fully expect a prominent warning sign.

Same thing with your pavement analogy. If a pavement is unexpectedly dangerous (say a slab that tips unexpectedly and dumps you on your backside), then it ought to be fixed and in the meantime, a warning is not out of place. But if (your scenario) a well maintained pavement simply has the potential to injure you when an accident happens, no warnings are needed that you could potentially hurt yourself in some circumstances.

The OP slipped twice on a boardwalk that's designed to be ... well ... walked on. If that's happening a lot in the rain, then some sort of remedial action, combined with a warning in the meantime, is hardly an overreaction.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭tom-thebox

eth0_ wrote:

Lucky you didnt land on a sharp object

I really thought everyone knew surfaces are more slippy when they are wet, however maybe we are coming to the time where we have to put up signs to warn people.

I believe people trip up, they fall, they slip. Thats life.

lightening wrote:
    I really thought everyone knew surfaces are more slippy when they are wet, however maybe we are coming to the time where we have to put up signs to warn people.

I believe people trip up, they fall, they slip. Thats life.

It wasn't the wet weather that caused the problem..there's slimey mould that's growing on the surface of the boardwalk that should be removed by the council, if the thing was properly maintained.

Well I was going to say that we should all know that varnished wood will be slippery when wet. Because I know this, I don't run on wooden surfaces when my feet are wet.Same for smooth concrete slabs, I don't run or walk in any way that could result in injury, when they are wet.
    But if you slipped on some mould, then I think you need a new pair of shoes.

Etho, just look where you are going and thread carefully, maybe read up on certain surfaces and see how they react to their environment. For instance, trees on the quays will affect the wood along with wet weather and make it a little bit slimy underfoot at certain times of the year.

YOU and no one else bought up breaking limbs and sueing Dublin Corpo. Innovative plans and fantastic ameneties to our cities can be ruined and closed down with this attitude.

For this very reason there is a lack of skateboard parks, playgrounds and outdoor public swimming areas. Claims and massive insurance bills and public liability bills can cripple good plans. Dublin is a medieval city blessed with trees and decent foliage. With its hilly small streets and underground roots there will be wet slippy leaves, uneven paving, and wooden surfaces will get slippy. Thats all part of living in certain cities. Paris, Prague, certain parts of London and other old cities have the same issues.

• Advertisement

eth0_ wrote:
    It wasn't the wet weather that caused the problem..there's slimey mould that's growing on the surface of the boardwalk that should be removed by the council, if the thing was properly maintained.
    Have you contacted Dublin City Council (672-2222)? I don't know the boardwalk in question so I cannot do so.

lightening wrote:
    YOU and no one else bought up breaking limbs and sueing Dublin Corpo. Innovative plans and fantastic ameneties to our cities can be ruined and closed down with this attitude.

For this very reason there is a lack of skateboard parks, playgrounds and outdoor public swimming areas. .

I didn't bring up MY sueing dublin corpo, I said I could see someone breaking a limb and sueing the corpo...i'm not going to take legal action because I cut my knee, get real!

There's *loads* of playgrounds and parks in Dublin, I think the weather precludes outdoor swimming facilities, and a lot of people are of the opinion that skateboard parks encourage antisocial activity.

When the corpo can't even keep the boardwalk CLEAN and free of the junkies and alco's - that must bring huge embarrassment to the people of the city if they have visitors over, what hope is there of them cleaning the scum off what is one of the nicest features of the liffey?

And to the person who said I shouldn't have walked on the boardwalk if there was slime or moss on it - if you even knew the place you'd know theres only an entrace/exit at either end of Eden quay, unfortunately I don't possess the power of levitation so I had to walk/slip to the end, with fellow pedestrians.

daymobrew wrote:
    Have you contacted Dublin City Council (672-2222)? I don't know the boardwalk in question so I cannot do so.

Left a message, have had no reply though.

eth0_ wrote:
    I didn't bring up MY sueing dublin corpo, I said I could see someone breaking a limb and sueing the corpo...i'm not going to take legal action because I cut my knee, get real!

Your are splitting hairs now, you bought up sueing.
    eth0_ wrote:
    There's *loads* of playgrounds and parks in Dublin,
    There could be more

eth0_ wrote:
    I think the weather precludes outdoor swimming facilities,

That's your thought, there are plenty of competitive outdoor swimmers, polo players, triathletes and daily recreational swimmers that will disagree with you there.
    eth0_ wrote:
    and a lot of people are of the opinion that skateboard parks encourage antisocial activity.

Its a healthy sport, is it better than having Alcos and junkies as you like to call them?
    eth0_ wrote:
    When the corpo can't even keep the boardwalk CLEAN and free of the junkies and alco's - that must bring huge embarrassment to the people of the city if they have visitors over, what hope is there of them cleaning the scum off what is one of the nicest features of the liffey?

There are alchaholics in most familys and druggies in all cities. Travellers who know what is what and have been around know this, expect it and put up with it.

You're missing the point entirely, what happened was your fault.
    No-one else is responsible for your falling but yourself.

eth0_ wrote:
    Left a message, have had no reply though.
    Cool. You could try the road/footpath maintenance depot at Aldbrough Parade (855-5404). They might cover this boardwalk. IMO you get better results when you talk to the 'guys on the ground'.
    eth0_ wrote:
    There's *loads* of playgrounds and parks in Dublin
    WRT playgrounds, until last year, there was only 1 playground (and a tiny one at that) serving the whole of Dublin 15 with its ~90,000 people. We have more golf clubs in the country than playgrounds.
    lightening wrote:
    Claims and massive insurance bills and public liability bills can cripple good plans.
    My residents association is planning a Clean Up Day for our very localised area (just two quiet cul-de-sac roads). Another residents association recommended Public Liability insurance - they'd been sued a few times during similar clean ups!

Anyone remember when Dublin City Council turned off the audible pedestrian signals in the city because sighted pedestrians were crossing when they heard the sounds, even when they were for an adjacent crossing? The NCBI had to fight hard to get the audible settings, essential for blind/vision impaired people, turned back on.

daymobrew wrote:
    Another residents association recommended Public Liability insurance - they'd been sued a few times during similar clean ups!

Jaysus... your kidding, maybe you should have a team of people clean the streets of rubbish so no one will trip over the day you are doing the clean up.

You're missing the point entirely, what happened was your fault.
    No-one else is responsible for your falling but yourself.

If you're going to troll, don't post, thanks.

I didn't slip because of WET WEATHER.

I'm not bringing this up to p*ss and moan, i'm doing it to let other people know to be careful, which is why i rang Dublin Corporation instead of contacting a solicitor and trying to get compensation for a small injury - which is the type of person you seem to think I am.

eth0_ wrote:
    If you're going to troll, don't post, thanks.

I didn't slip because of WET WEATHER.

I'm not bringing this up to p*ss and moan, i'm doing it to let other people know to be careful, which is why i rang Dublin Corporation instead of contacting a solicitor and trying to get compensation for a small injury - which is the type of person you seem to think I am.

If you're going to accuse people of being trolls, which you seem to think I am, then don't post, thanks.
    And I was just letting you know that your footwear see, inapporpriate for walking on wet wood, or was it the moss that made you fall?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 583 ✭✭✭monkey tennis

lightening wrote:
    Are Dubliners getting like Americans? Will we have to put signs up everywhere,

"slippery surface"

You appear to have missed the point completely. There should be no need for any signs in the first place, as a boardwalk in a city prone to rain should not have a surface that tends to become slippery in the rain. If said boardwalk does become slippery in rain, i.e. most days, the surface should be either changed or treated appropriately. Otherwise, people expecting the surface not to be slippery (as it shouldn't be), are going to slip.

Advertisement