Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Music on ad for RTE Guide

• 19-10-2006 9:23am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,740 ✭✭✭

Just heard an ad for the RTE Guide on 2FM (or whatever it is they want you to call it now!) and wondering if I'm right in thinking the music is The Scissors Sisters "Dont feel like dancing..."

Am I right? :confused:

Can RTE just rob the music or do you think they got permission from the record company??

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

They would have to pay quiet a large sum of money for the use of the music.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,740 ✭✭✭sudzs

Would have thought so!

But I'm not 100% sure it is the Scissor Sisters... just about 99% !

Wonder can I have another listen to it on www.rte.ie It was on during Gerry Ryan around 9.20 if you want to check it out!

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭ifconfig

RTE are definitely using the same Scissor Sisters track for the trailer
    for next week Killinaskully episode on TV. I'd guess that RTE must
    pay a large subscription to IMRO or whoever to cover the likes
    of regular radio programming as well as clips for their promo material
    rather than paying royalties directly to the bands/artists themselves.
    This is only a hunch though...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

Many, many times this has occured where a popular tune of the day are used in trailers for programmes. RTÉ are not alone in doing this.... hardly earth-shattering stuff. Ad agencies do it all the time, even to promote new music.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,740 ✭✭✭sudzs

I don't think anyone's earth was shattered DMC!

I was just wondering if indeed it was the music and also if RTE were pulling a fast one.

It wouldn't be the first thing they robbed... Just look at the programmes they produce...!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

sudzs wrote:
    I don't think anyone's earth was shattered DMC!

Your first post described surprise that the tune can be used in ads or trails. Me and the other posters have advised that its quite normal.
    sudzs wrote:
    I was just wondering if indeed it was the music and also if RTE were pulling a fast one.

As outlined by the author of "Fly Fishing", tis a bit daft and naive to assume that RTÉ don't pay for the music that is played on their airwaves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

sudzs wrote:
    It wouldn't be the first thing they robbed... Just look at the programmes they produce...!

yawn. just like every other network on the planet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,314 ✭✭✭Talliesin

I've just deleted a post referencing boards' current legal situation and another because it quoted that post in replying.

What do we have to do, remove three letters from everyone's keyboard?

And yes, you do have to pay royalties when you use music in trailers, adverts, promos etc. This is usually done through music right organisations in the country in question.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 751 ✭✭✭Chillwithcian

It definitly was the siccor sisters ad

• Closed Accounts Posts: 371 ✭✭MiniD

It definitly was the siccor sisters ad

If you listen carefully, you will hear this music is similar to "I don't feel like dancing" but it is actually production library music.
    There are many chart music soundalikes available to use in ads.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 751 ✭✭✭Chillwithcian

MiniD wrote:
    If you listen carefully, you will hear this music is similar to "I don't feel like dancing" but it is actually production library music.
    There are many chart music soundalikes available to use in ads.

Just asked my dad who works in rte to confirm it for me......It is ''dont feel like dancing'' exept the backing track version with no lyrics.

Just asked my dad who works in rte to confirm it for me......It is ''dont feel like dancing'' exept the backing track version with no lyrics.

If you play the music for "I don't feel like dancing" alongside the ad, you will hear the difference. Besides, RTE don't actually make the ad for the RTE Guide.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

MiniD wrote:
    If you play the music for "I don't feel like dancing" alongside the ad, you will hear the difference. Besides, RTE don't actually make the ad for the RTE Guide.
    It doesn't matter if there's a difference. Whether its a sped up, slowed down, or different frequency version of the original, or even if it's a copy of the original performed on a tuba and harpsichord, the original authors would still be entitled to royalties.

Bard wrote:
    It doesn't matter if there's a difference. Whether its a sped up, slowed down, or different frequency version of the original, or even if it's a copy of the original performed on a tuba and harpsichord, the original authors would still be entitled to royalties.

Not necessarily, unless, as you say, it was a direct copy of a piece of music. You would then need to credit the artist and pay the appropriate fees.
    There are lots of music production librarys who produce similar sounding pieces of music to recent chart hits, but they are all original works which just sound alike. In such cases, the user of the music simply pays royalties to the production library and composer. This is also true for movie and tv themes, where you can get a piece of music in the style of, for example, the James Bond theme. This will sound similar but it is not the actual piece of music used in the movies.
    On the ad in question, RTE Guide, I have heard it many times and while it does sound a little similar, it in no way copies the original song. Unless there is another version out there which I have yet to hear.

Advertisement