Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

animal deaths

Options
  • 19-10-2006 10:29am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭

Hi
    My ever faithful German Shephard max died recently and i am completly lost with out him. He was 10 years old. What i am writing about is the way people made fun of his death and by people i mean members of my family and friends. Losing a dog is like losing a member of your family and the pain i feel can sometimes bring me to tears. What i am trying to say is please be understanding when someone loses a pet. It is a very emotional time.:confused::confused:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 331 ✭✭EWheelChair

My brother had a German shepherd called Max, he died two years ago aged 12 i think. We all loved him to bits so everyone was fairly upset about it.

You'll be in a **** place for the next few weeks/months but it will ease over time. Ask your family and friends to be more considerate.. its hard for people to understand sometimes how attached others can become to animals, espically animals that you've spent a good chunk of your life with.

Just keep your head up and think of all the good times :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 981 ✭✭✭tj-music.com

Hi
    My ever faithful German Shephard max died recently and i am completly lost with out him. He was 10 years old. What i am writing about is the way people made fun of his death and by people i mean members of my family and friends. Losing a dog is like losing a member of your family and the pain i feel can sometimes bring me to tears. What i am trying to say is please be understanding when someone loses a pet. It is a very emotional time.:confused::confused:

I am sorry for your loss. Had to go through it a couple of times myself and I know how you feel. I am sorry to hear that the people around you are so insensitive about it.

I know it is not much of a comfort right now but the only thing that really matters is remembering the good times you´ve had with your dog - you can´t change people but they can´t take away what you remember.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 488 ✭✭SuzyS1972

Thats awful on both fronts.
    I understand how you feel - people can be so insensitive at times can't they.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭hamsterboy

Losing a pet can be so difficult. I feel for you as I know the pain that you are going through. Like the previous poster said, keep your head up and always remember the good times. I've lost quite a few and know that things get better with time, though you'll always think of them fondly.

PLUS

I am a 32 year old semi professional musician with experience playing with thrash metal, death metal and hardcore punk bands and yet I can't read the poem here without welling up! I defy you to try

• Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭trilo

Losing a pet is as truamatic as losing a human loved one. I suppose some people find that hard to understand. On my 17th birthday i lost a cat to poison and then my faithful doggy companion 2 days later to posion as well. (damn stupid wanabe farmers), and it was christmas time as well.

Hamsterboy, i read that poem and i did have a few tears in my eyes after. Rainbow Birdge sounds lovely. i think that was where Rex went, i seen him 2 days after he died, walking up the road by our house, maybe he was ready to really go to Rainbow Bridge then.

noels little bu heres a hug, ((((((hug)))))

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,399 ✭✭✭Kashkai

My last dog died in 2000. I'd had him for 15 years at that point which was exactly half of my own life. My wife couldn't understand why I was so sad over his death as "he was just a dog". Well he wasn't just a dog, he was a lovable little character, a good "listener", a great guard dog and a good companion.

I haven't gotten another dog since as I don't feel I could ever get another dog that would live up to his predecessor and it wouldn't be fair to compare a new puppy with my dog Prince. My oldest daughter wants to get a dog now and I'm using the excuse that we have young babies to put off getting another one. However, I'll have to bite the bullet one day and get her a dog. I just hope I can give the poor pooch a chance and not be comparing his every nuance with my old lovable mutt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 180 ✭✭mjffey

hamsterboy wrote:
    I am a 32 year old semi professional musician with experience playing with thrash metal, death metal and hardcore punk bands and yet I can't read the poem here without welling up! I defy you to try

Hamsterboy,

I have that poem on our Cattery website on the in memoriam Page.
    We lost in the last 6 months three of our own cats, 14, 24 and 3 years old. They now all rest in our little "forrest" at the back of our kitchen.
    You have to go over a little bridge to get there and one of the neighbours made a sign out of wood with Rainbow Bridge carved in it. We have to find a nice place for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭random_banter

Its very hard for people who never learned to connect with a pet or never had any to realise how important they are and how close to them we become.

My dad is the most emotionless person ever- never shed a tear at his mothers or sisters funeral, didnt seem to go through any sort of grief period at all but when our last lab passed away in 2001, he was inconsolable. He became very depressed and it took him a long time to get over it. Of course he would never admit it to us but he swore we would never be allowed to get another dog (he said it was because he just didnt want one but we know it was really because he didnt want to have to go through the grief ever again).

Even last January my little cat died and he never behaved like he liked her at all, but when he was burying her in our garden he burst into tears. I'm 20 and ive never seen my dad behave so emotional as when our pets have died!

Just remember that some people cant understand what youre feeling, and theyre worse off for never having experienced the companionship of a pet. Some of our best family memories include dogs we've had in the past, and we really enjoy telling funny stories about our dogs from years ago. Hopefully once your grief has gone you'll be able to enjoy that too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Sorry to hear about your loss OP. Take a look at the departed pets thread in this forum, its one of the stickies at the top. There are some nice, touching stories there and it will show you that you aren't alone.

Advertisement