Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Union funds on bus to camp

Options
1235»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

And Btw, I was a bit freaked out to get comments on my posts via text from someone I dont remember giving my phone number to..

You gave me you number at Sebs head shaving when you wanted me to text you to tell us where and when we were going into town.(sorry I never did as I totallly forgot about you when we got to the porterhouse)My text at the weekend was to wish you good luck in class rep training. A kind gesture from one class rep to another....Sorry to have freaked you out!I dont remember being 'freaked out' when you asked to add me as a friend on bebo.:) so Maybe next time you can tell me you were freaked out via pm instead of during a thread debate,thanks kaptainredeye.

I would reply to your otherposts but really I dont want to have a debate with you over my usage of the word 'event':rolleyes: . Next time I will use a theasarus to find a more sobering word for what took place in Rossport.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,885 ✭✭✭Stabshauptmann

Ok appologies, I prob did very well give you my number - just when it came up without a name (I didnt have yours) I forgot ever giving it to you.
    And as for bebo, Im not friends with half the people on my bebo, i think that goes for most ppl on the site. I was going to start deleting ppl but one girl threw a hissy fit about it being really rude so I left it alone.

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,727 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

Alright, that's enough guff folks. Let the thread die please.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 801 ✭✭✭Vainglory

cast_iron wrote:
    I would say it's not really going anywhere is probably more accurate!

To answer to your questions...

1. Because, in fairness you the issues you list are very different to the "Shell to Sea" Campaign. Those 3 you listed are charity issues which most students (and general population) would have sympathy for. As you said, all worthy causes. Wether Shell to Sea is, is really for another debate.

2. You answered it in your question - some people fundamentally disagreee with it. Who here would not sympathise with charity. What kind of students would we be if we didn't support Aid to Africa and the like? Shell to Sea is far, far from a charity.

3. Similar to questions 1 and 2. It's Shell to Sea - not charity work.

4. Em, no. It's what makes life so interesting, and it's how the real world works.

So hang on, are you saying now that issues that aren't directly relating to students are okay if they are charity-related? Or that they're okay if most students agree with them? You keep confusing your message.

You ask "who here would not sympathise with charity". Many people would have issues with giving to charity, or at least certain charities, for various reasons. You're claiming that doing activity X is okay, because according to you, most people agree with activity X. You have no basis for that claim other than your own assumption. I, at least, have two overwhelmingly passed motions at SU council as the basis for my claims.

Blush, could Make Poverty History week and the week raising awareness about developing world issues not also have been done outside of Union time? Do you disagree with union time and money being spent on them?

The point I am making is that there should never be a hard and fast rule "no non-student issues, ever." I have shown with various examples that even without making reference to Shell to Sea, this is not the case in the Union and never has been. The rule can't be qualified either, e.g. "only if the majority of students agree with it" because we're not going to run referendums for every single motion either. People should be free to propose support for non-student issues, and if that support is given, then that's fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭GusherING

I have to agree with Vainglory's argument about what is and is not a student issue (I'd rather not discuss my own opinion of Shell to Sea as its irrelevant here). It seems that most opposed to this bus do so because they are opposed to Shell to Sea, not for any other reason. The bus as a waste of union money excuse is a pretext for their opposition and an opportunity to criticise those who support it. This is supported by the lack of consensus on this thread on whether Fair Trade (I have my own opinions on that too) or other charitable causes are student issues. I arrive at the conclusion that the debate on the subject of Shell to Sea would be better served if people dropped the pretext and discussed the merits of the Shell to Sea/ Corrib Gas field issue directly.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 801 ✭✭✭Vainglory

GusherING wrote:
    I have to agree with Vainglory's argument about what is and is not a student issue (I'd rather not discuss my own opinion of Shell to Sea as its irrelevant here). It seems that most opposed to this bus do so because they are opposed to Shell to Sea, not for any other reason. The bus as a waste of union money excuse is a pretext for their opposition and an opportunity to criticise those who support it. This is supported by the lack of consensus on this thread on whether Fair Trade (I have my own opinions on that too) or other charitable causes are student issues. I arrive at the conclusion that the debate on the subject of Shell to Sea would be better served if people dropped the pretext and discussed the merits of the Shell to Sea/ Corrib Gas field issue directly.

Hear hear.

The "only student issues" pretext is, and has always been, a veil that many people have hidden behind for far too long.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement