Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Water level in toilet bowl

Options
  • 19-10-2006 11:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭

Folks,

What is the correct water level in a toilet bowl?

I've two Fulin toilets in my house and some other type in main bathroom. The one in the main bathroom has the bottom of the bowl full - correctly in my opinion. However in the two Fulin toilets the wather only fills about 2/3rds of the end of the bowl.

I'll try to get a pic uploaded as the explanation above is not too clear I think.

They flush fine etc. but the low water level has obvious problems and the builder reckons they're fine :mad:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,033 ✭✭✭Snowbie

I wonder would the ubend at the back of the loo be to low? flushing to much water out.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Morkin

Perhaps. If so is it an installation or a product problem?

M.

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭tapest

Morkin wrote:
    Folks,

What is the correct water level in a toilet bowl?

I've two Fulin toilets in my house and some other type in main bathroom. The one in the main bathroom has the bottom of the bowl full - correctly in my opinion. However in the two Fulin toilets the wather only fills about 2/3rds of the end of the bowl.

I'll try to get a pic uploaded as the explanation above is not too clear I think.

They flush fine etc. but the low water level has obvious problems and the builder reckons they're fine :mad:

Morkin
    The water level in the botton of the toilet pan is determined by the height of the bend in the outlet (of the pan). i e the bottom not the top of the outlet bend. The only way I can see the level being lower than this is if some syphoning action is going on...and I don't see how this could happen. Water level may appear lower than it really is if the pan was not installed level,ie tilting back slightly. Now although the water level is correct you can see more of the front of the pan out of water and you think the level is lower. Check with builders level across top of pan ...left to right and more importantly front to back
    Hope this helps
    t

Cheers tapest. will do. Will try to get some pix up as well.

M.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,142 ✭✭✭TempestSabre

Would suction be a problem if theres a problem with a vent on the soil stack? I've had that problem with a kitchen waste, the suction was pulling water out of the trap. Added a vent and it fixed the problem.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,410 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

tapest wrote:
    Water level may appear lower than it really is if the pan was not installed level,ie tilting back slightly. Now although the water level is correct you can see more of the front of the pan out of water and you think the level is lower.

If the pan wasn't level, tilting back like you said. the pan would hold less water, not just appear to.
    Imagine if you had a toilet full of water, that you were free to tilt back and forth. If you tipped it back slightly some water would flow out, and the more you tipped it the more it would flow, until the point it was empty.

Morkin, i'd still check the toilets with a spirt level. But also check the one you think is right. If two toilets appear low then it is possible that the other one is tilted forward and therefore holding more water.

Just had the builder in and we looked at the same toilets in other houses. Some were the same low level as mine but one was okay. The okay one had its U bend at a level lower than the soil pipe and was connected with a stepped (up) white connector. All the other were wither slightly lower than the soil pipe level and connected straight through or the soil pipe came out of the ground and the toliets were connect with a right angle connector.

Toilet are almost perfectly level. Certainly not off enough to be causing the low water level.

Opinions? Is the step up connector a botch? Is there an issue with using one?
    My d/s toilet can get one fitted easily as the soil pipe come from the ground. Upstairs (as shown in pic) will be more of a problem.

Thanks,

M.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭rooferPete

Hi,

Do the pans with the low levels of water rise and drop back a few times after flushing ?

It may be a small blockage in the pipe from the back of the pan as it exits through the wall, if the pipe is rising even slightly it can cause minor blockages.

A simple test is to slowly pour a couple of glasses of water into the pan and see if the level rises and holds until it is flushed again, if it does then I would check the level of the pipes and the vent on the soil stack.

You might try filling two buckets of water and flushing the toilet, then pour the two buckets down the pan very fast, that may force any waste in the pipe to flow into the soil stack.

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭tapest

Morkin

the side view shows ut all. You can estimate the water
    mark.It might be the design of the pan that's causing
    the problem. That while soft plastic collar is called a
    multiwick and they come in all shapes and sizes and
    angles. I honestly don't know how to advise you, If you
    cut the outlet plastic 4" pipe and use multiwicks, you
    are effectively putting extra bends in. too close
    together and you may have blockages.

Maybe and I did say maybe you could tilt the pan
    forward. even though all connections(including cistern
    to pan) are flexible to some degree, you wont be able
    to get much on it, Loosen screws and use 2 thin timber
    wedges to test ??
    t

edit..this was typed at 3am when my "Boards went doen on me....and just when I copy & paste....what do I see ....Is the big Roo stalking me..following my trail of buscuit crumbs ( private joke)
    t

• Registered Users Posts: 78,438 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Do the thing with the glasses of water.

I have two suspicions:

1. The toilet pans are seconds and they were botched, or
    2. There is no soil vent pipe fitted and this is dragging too much water out - when you flush the toilet, do you get gurgling from the wash basin?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,142 ✭✭✭TempestSabre

I didn't think those wastes were plumbed together, I thought they were kept seperate.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,438 ✭✭✭✭Victor

They can be, the important thing is to have the vent pipe.

Apparently the bowls are not faulty in all the other same style bowls have the same problem throughout the estate - I popped into some other houses. The only case where they are okay is where the stepped multi-wick is in use.

i tried slowly adding water and it still drains to the same level and tried unbloceking/heavy load flushing but with no change in the final water level.

The system is vented.

Looks like I need to get a new style of toilet (at my own expense) or accept the crap chinese ('Fulin' brand) procelin :(

M.

Advertisement