Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Saying goodbye to Earlsfort terrace

Options
  • 19-10-2006 11:22am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭

As some of you may know from early 2007 onwards earlsfortt tearrce will be no more...sob:( ! The medicine Chaplain,med soc and I were thinking of having a big bash to say goodbye to it.
    The ealsfortt terrace move is quite a significant part of UCD's history as it heralds the last big move of a faculty out to Belfield. Earlsfortt terrace was where many old alumini and prbbaly many of your parents went to UCD.It has also hosted some of the most influential people of Irish history as its students such as Douglas Hyde,Eamon De Valera and my personal fave Kevin Barry. From 1919 to 1922 UCD's Earlsfortt terrace was also the location for the Irish houses of parliment.
    Anyway, we need some suggestions on what to do in order to give ET/the terrace the send off it deserves.
    So any suggestions would be much appreciated?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭dajaffa

Well Panda,

Myself, Steph, Byrno + Gubbie (Eng type) have rough plans going to have an "ET's going home" ball, if possible held in ET itself, with help from Ents + we might get the likes of medsoc, engsoc, radsoc + physiosoc invovled too. It'd prob be the best if you got involved with us too (if you can get to next council r something) + make it the best ball since *insert name of really cool ball type thing*!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

I had,
    The time of my life,
    And I never felt this way before.........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

dajaffa wrote:
    Well Panda,

Myself, Steph, Byrno + Gubbie (Eng type) have rough plans going to have an "ET's going home" ball, if possible held in ET itself, with help from Ents + we might get the likes of medsoc, engsoc, radsoc + physiosoc invovled too. It'd prob be the best if you got involved with us too (if you can get to next council r something) + make it the best ball since *insert name of really cool ball type thing*!

We were thinking of a trip down memory lane type event. A cheese and wine reception in the terrace with pictures up of each decade of the terrace ranging form the 1920's to this years med day with old alumni and current student alike invited. Then a speaker from each decade (if possible) talking about their memories of Earlfortt terrace.
    But a union ents event is a good idea too......

Maybe we can have a meeting next week in the terrace to discuss it? Anyone who wants can come along then

• Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

Excuse my ignorance on this one but where the hell is Ealsfortt/Earlfortt/Earlsfortt Terrace?

I thought the place was called Earlsfort Terrace, how can you get it wrong so many times!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,635 ✭✭✭tribulus

edit: nevermind

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,727 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

Earlsfort Terace is near Leeson Street and St Stephen's Green. It's where Arthur Cox, the Conrad Hotel and the National Concert Hall are.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

Earlsfort Terace is near Leeson Street and St Stephen's Green. It's where Arthur Cox, the Conrad Hotel and the National Concert Hall are.

I gather that now, I initally thought I'd been spelling it incorrectly for years.

What happening to those bulidings once UCD has vacated them?

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,727 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

Actually, I just spotted a spelling mistake. It's Earlsfort Terrace.

Bluetonic wrote:
    I gather that now, I initally thought I'd been spelling it incorrectly for years.

What happening to those bulidings once UCD has vacated them?

the national concert hall will finally get their claws on it:)

panda100 wrote:
    Maybe we can have a meeting next week in the terrace to discuss it? Anyone who wants can come along then

Yeah u so should. Mention it to Byrno + sure we can sort sh1t out. Last year Pete (anatomy porter guy) was saying that there could be a disco in the museum r sumtin. I think ppl from other courses should be encouraged to see the museum be fore the move cause stuff will be displayed in the new library but there isn't room for all of it.

• Advertisement

dajaffa wrote:
    Yeah u so should. Mention it to Byrno + sure we can sort sh1t out. Last year Pete (anatomy porter guy) was saying that there could be a disco in the museum r sumtin. I think ppl from other courses should be encouraged to see the museum be fore the move cause stuff will be displayed in the new library but there isn't room for all of it.

A disco in the museum??!!That would be so cool!! Even though I dont think I fancy dancing around those pickled testicles :) Il ask Pete tommorow and arrange a meeting for next week so!

Just spoke to one of the girls on the medsoc comitee and med soc have alreasy organised it all.
    Theres a drink reception and possible disco in the Kevin Barry room before Christmas:)

• Registered Users Posts: 950 ✭✭✭Feral Mutant

As far as I know I'm still in Earlsford Terrace every Tuesday and Thursday till the end of semester 2 so I've got plenty more time with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 281 ✭✭Samos

Bluetonic wrote:
    Excuse my ignorance on this one but where the hell is Ealsfortt/Earlfortt/Earlsfortt Terrace?

I thought the place was called Earlsfort Terrace, how can you get it wrong so many times!

Hey, panda, what's the story with spelling "Earlsfort" with two t's? I guess the other spellings are typos, but you always seem to spell it with two instead of one... just wondering if there's a reason.

Anyway, I've some found memories of ET (the building, not the cute alien!), but I don't think it will be closing until next summer, so maybe it's a bit premature to organize something now.

panda100 wrote:
    Just spoke to one of the girls on the medsoc comitee and med soc have alreasy organised it all.
    Theres a drink reception and possible disco in the Kevin Barry room before Christmas:)

Ah be that'll end up being a med thing, boo. There should be a big med/eng (physio/radio 2 :)) shindig

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭gubbie

Ya and I'd like to point out that engineers are gonna be there longer then the meds (since our building isn't complete yet) so we really should be allowed in in the festivities. Plus no one knows how to have fun like the engineers (when we're not studying that is)

Samos wrote:
    Hey, panda, what's the story with spelling "Earlsfort" with two t's? I guess the other spellings are typos, but you always seem to spell it with two instead of one... just wondering if there's a reason.

Anyway, I've some found memories of ET (the building, not the cute alien!), but I don't think it will be closing until next summer, so maybe it's a bit premature to organize something now.

I dontt know.I justt like putting extra t's on to the end of things things :0

Dont worry jen and dajaffa.Of course It wont be just a med thing.I think they just wanted to get it organised quickly and with their own resources. Im ringing the auditor tonight so Il make sure theres plenty of union and eng involvment. Also I really want to do my trip down memory lane idea as well:)

Any funny/sad/strange memories would be much appreciated :)

The stairs that hits a wall, good times + much embarrassment

• Registered Users Posts: 3,608 ✭✭✭breadmonkey

I've said it before and I'll say it again:

I will eat my computer if we have moved out by next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭Vorsprung

Eh....I'm fairly sure Med Soc haven't organised anything, I'm on the committee and we've been working towards Med Ball which is next week. Patrick the Auditor has been in touch with Prof Powderly's office, and if he agrees we've got an alcohol permit in the bag. Big IF though! Didn't realise (though I probably should have!) that there were so many people interested in doing something huge.

Patrick did mention today that he was talking to someone in the Med/Med Science office beside the shop and there's talk of having a "dignified" (boo!) event involving graduates and senior academics. We'll have to see what happens!

If there is a meeting about it we'd definately be up for going along, it would be great to get a big thing going!

• Advertisement

dajaffa wrote:
    :mad: and so much wasted energy :mad:

Oh and I've heard from eng soc that they may be planning something themselves!

Eh....I'm fairly sure Med Soc haven't organised anything, I'm on the committee and we've been working towards Med Ball which is next week. Patrick the Auditor has been in touch with Prof Powderly's office, and if he agrees we've got an alcohol permit in the bag. Big IF though! Didn't realise (though I probably should have!) that there were so many people interested in doing something huge.

Patrick did mention today that he was talking to someone in the Med/Med Science office beside the shop and there's talk of having a "dignified" (boo!) event involving graduates and senior academics. We'll have to see what happens!

If there is a meeting about it we'd definately be up for going along, it would be great to get a big thing going!

Debs told me that there was a big bash organised in the kevin Barry room :) Thats cool anyway Il organise a time and place for next week and hopefully we can all meet up to discuss it!

Talking about Kevin Barry whats happening to that window?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭ucd_guy

dajaffa wrote:

It probably formed the basis for Hogwarts!

As for a a bash, why not have class photographs of the last couple of classes to be in the Terrace taken, and put up in the new building? Think there's at least two engineering classes and one med class stalking the lonely, cobweb filled halls!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭Breezer

Any kind of party sounds good but from reading this I'd swear I'm the only person actually happy to never ever have to endure classes in this place again? Does no one else at all actually hate the place? :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭Chakar

gubbie wrote:

Its gonna be moved to Belfield whoo hoo.It will rightfully be given a pride of place on campus and it is my understanding it will be well protected from hazards and people.

Oh and bye Earlsfort Terrace.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭Vorsprung

gubbie wrote:

Med Soc have been fairly involved in that (well the auditor has) as the window was originally commissioned and paid for by Med Soc back in the day. The plan is to try to move it to the new Health Sci building (I think?), but its fairly old so they're not too sure if it'll work. If not, they're gonna look into making another one exactly the same.

EDIT - Sorry Chakar just saw your post after I posted mine

• Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭Byrno

Breezer wrote:
    Any kind of party sounds good but from reading this I'd swear I'm the only person actually happy to never ever have to endure classes in this place again? Does no one else at all actually hate the place?

I have to admit that I can't wait to be out of there. ET is just too quiet, apart from the library where every noise echoes around the room. Granted, that said I will miss it. It has grown on me - like a wart but it has grown on me. I will miss the Iveagh Gardens!

Advertisement