Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

eircom to enable another 100 exchanges - Broadband available to 120k more ppl

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 54,318 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

lads just a question for ye

if broadband is available in your area
    but its still not a dead cert that you can get it still right?

what could i do to improve my chances of getting it

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭zugvogel

lads just a question for ye

If broadband is available in your area
    but its still not a dead cert that you can get it still right?

what could i do to improve my chances of getting it

Ability to get bband =f(shared line -> true or false, line quality -> good or bad, distance from exchange -> <= 5 miles).

Work out how far you are from your exchange and checking your dialup speeds should tell you a lot. If you're less than 5 miles from the exchange and get good consistent dialup speeds I'd say that's positive.
    If you're on a paigain (sharing line with neighbour(s)) thats fine for voice calls bad for dialup and a non runner for bband.

Zug.

PS I'm not a bband expert but I think sussing out the above will give you a fair idea.

zugvogel wrote: »
    Ability to get bband =f(shared line -> true or false, line quality -> good or bad, distance from exchange -> <= 5 miles).

Work out how far you are from your exchange and checking your dialup speeds should tell you a lot. If you're less than 5 miles from the exchange and get good consistent dialup speeds I'd say that's positive.
    If you're on a paigain (sharing line with neighbour(s)) thats fine for voice calls bad for dialup and a non runner for bband.

Zug.

PS I'm not a bband expert but I think sussing out the above will give you a fair idea.

no shared line and i live 1 minute away from my exchange and i get speeds of 44kbps

somtimes even faster

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

no shared line and i live 1 minute away from my exchange and i get speeds of 44kbps

somtimes even faster

I wouldn't be too worried in that case, your pretty likely to be able to get it.

I wouldn't be too worried in that case, your pretty likely to be able to get it.

god i hope so

a local TD is hoping to get it in my area

he's going to use the government broadband scheme

• Advertisement
  • Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Which one? The Group Broadband Scheme which was canceled in April 2005 (although they didn't announce it until this year), or the National Broadband Scheme, which might never happen?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 flakey

Zug.

hi i work for eircom broadband. if ur on a carrier line(line share) u cant avail of bb theres a deployment plan out in mid jan dat will give dates of wat exchanges will be enabled, and all bb speeds will be doubled in new year no extra cost 1mb will jump to 2mb and so on.....:D no extra cost

• Registered Users Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭bealtine

flakey wrote: »
    hi i work for eircom broadband. if ur on a carrier line(line share) u cant avail of bb theres a deployment plan out in mid jan dat will give dates of wat exchanges will be enabled, and all bb speeds will be doubled in new year no extra cost 1mb will jump to 2mb and so on.....:D no extra cost

Thats all good news. Thanks for sharing with us.

Any plans to fix crap lines, considering we have the highest line rental?

bealtine wrote: »
    Thats all good news. Thanks for sharing with us.

Any plans to fix crap lines, considering we have the highest line rental?

I wonder will the download caps be increased as well? It would seem logical to do that?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

No connection.

Unless the main network is cheaper, they have to charge more for higher cap.

• Advertisement

Civilization came to the Nurney district today. Just got the DSL modem in the post. Plugged everything in and away we go – brilliant, and her in doors is delighted to … no more waiting for me to get off the internet when she wants to call the mother in law!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,142 ✭✭✭nilhg

Civilization came to the Nurney district today. Just got the DSL modem in the post. Plugged everything in and away we go – brilliant, and her in doors is delighted to … no more waiting for me to get off the internet when she wants to call the mother in law!

You just made my Uncle Paddy a very happy man, his only experience of broadband so far was with 3.:eek:
    His order is in the system since 9.30 AM.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 trixiebodacious

Does anyone know anything about Broadband availability (at a reasonable price!) outside Nenagh - Dolla/ Silvermines area? The Eircom site states my phone line does not suitable for Broadband....How long ago were they supposed to have rolled it out all over the country?! So frustrating!!

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭robert muldoon

Where will we be able to see these sites that will be enabled, will they be on the eircom website, perhaps you could give a link site

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭thefinalstage

Its the new year and no announcement? Not like Eircom if its true.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭Alan666

Yip, could write a book on them. I spoke to them today and was told that projected map of exchanges due for upgrades this year will now be availble in Mid Feb. Hmmmmmm.. Lets see about that.

As someone as frustrated as me one said, you know if your exchange accidentlally blew up it would have to be replaced with a new 'enabled' one.
    How long more can I wait.....;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

Nah, they'd just leave you without service and have Comreg compliment them on disregarding their Universal Service Obligation and give them a monetary reward for their actions by letting them increase line rental AGAIN!

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭Alan666

As things are taking a downward spiral, I decided I will have to go back to my SkyDSL dish on the wall outsite (one-way Sat Bband solution that still requires dialup), meaning I need to go for one of the Anytime dialup minutes packages like Perlico 180. Only to find wehey they've dropped the product, in place of preferring to screw the already 'no broadband available suckers' to pay a per minute rate of 3.8 cent per minute peak - only package available.

Im trying to run a business here and FOR THE LIFE OF ME still cant fathom how we can have a system, in Ireland, thats LEGAL, whereby those who are v.fortunate if their excahnge is enabled qualify for massive choice of ISP deals, versus the bottom of the pile gang who have NO CHOICE but dialup, but (heres the best bit), instead of having a minscule apologetic tariff because all you can offer them is dialup, no you decide hey, lets screw them further and charge them 10 times that of the guy whos getting 2MB download versus Mr less than 56k surfer dude.
    Seriously, this should actually be an offence - there a name for it - extortion.
    As soon as Eircom enable my exchange Ill go with someone else - just to make me smile a little.
    Rant over.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭thegills

Alan666,
    You've probably been asked this already but have you exhausted all wireless options? What part of the country you live in?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭clohamon

hi i work for eircom broadband. if ur on a carrier line(line share) u cant avail of bb theres a deployment plan out in mid jan dat will give dates of wat exchanges will be enabled

Flakey is there any news on the deployment plan?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭bijou

OK – So I do line checker on eircom website at beginning of Dec07 it says suitable subject to confirmation and has the facility for me to order the BB via the website (I take a copy of this) then I do the linecheckers on the websites of BT/Talk/Talk/Digiweb. All say suitable. As I was a Talk Talk customer I placed the order for BB online and was told that order would be processed. 1 week later did checker again was showing line not suitable – gets onto talk talk to find out what’s going on. They say no problems with them - order progressing.

To cut a very long story short I find out my 8/9th month old line is a carrier/split line loads of problems with Talk Talk over this. An eircom sales guy calls to house and tells me that if I sign back up with eircom as a business customer he can get the carrier “lifted” and the line be made suitable for BB. Once BB is connected he will swap me onto the residential package. So I sign back up to eircom. In the meantime I talked to an eircom engineer who said there is no problem in lifting the carrier which sort of confirms the sales guy’s story. The engineer then says ring up eircom and say you need the carrier taking off. When I rang eircom they basically said "TOUGH" line not suitable and neither the engineer or sales guy should have told me the carrier could be lifted and wanted me to give them the engineer and sales guys names (which I refused).

The exchange is enabled and I live 1 1/2 miles away from it. I’m soooo tempted to tell them to stick the line and get disconnected – anyone have any ideas/advice before I do something I regret!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

That is a horrible story. Stuff their line, get it disconnected and go with Digiweb Metro.

Actually, if you don't want to lose your phone number talk to Digiweb before you disconnect eircom. Get Digiweb to port your number over to their service.

Or port it to Blueface [will work with Digiweb Metro]. Don't have all of your eggs in the one basket anymore :)

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭bijou

IrishTLR wrote: »
    That is a horrible story. Stuff their line, get it disconnected and go with Digiweb Metro.

Actually, if you don't want to lose your phone number talk to Digiweb before you disconnect eircom. Get Digiweb to port your number over to their service.

Or port it to Blueface [will work with Digiweb Metro]. Don't have all of your eggs in the one basket anymore :)

Would love to but only one other provider in area (wireless) and I don't have line of sight and 3G is almost the same speed as dial up (depending on which way the wind's blowing:rolleyes:)

• Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭johnb25

clohamon wrote: »
    Flakey is there any news on the deployment plan?

I live in the Dundrum, Tipp exchange area, which is on the famous list of 100 announced some time ago. I called Eircom in early Jan to ask about progress, and was told it was scheduled for February 08. I called again earlier this week to see what the latest is, and was told it is not on the list at all:eek:.
    Does this new deployment plan mean that anything not done from the original list is now scrapped? Or else the powers that be assumed that if it was on a list that long, it would have been done by now!

I was seriously considering satellite, as we have no wireless provider in the area either.
    Is there a new wireless system being introduced that does not require line-of-sight? (I don't mean the mobile/cell providers)?

johnb25 wrote: »
    I live in the Dundrum, Tipp exchange area, which is on the famous list of 100 announced some time ago. I called Eircom in early Jan to ask about progress, and was told it was scheduled for February 08. I called again earlier this week to see what the latest is, and was told it is not on the list at all:eek:.

i taught dundrum had broadband because of that iron works factory (can't remember name)

O'Dwyer Steel...no, Dundrum exchange is not enabled.
    I phoned Eircom again yesterday, and got a difference person with a different story.
    They said it is on the list for Q1 2008....so I will phone @ end of March and see what the story is.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,018 ✭✭✭knipex

Dont believe a word.

When I was buying my house I called Eircom to see if broadband was available(the previosu owner gave me their number). Eircom told me the exchange was due to be enabled within the next 2 months so I bought the house.

That was 3 years ago and Croom (my local exchange) was only listed for upgrade on the last list and I am still waiting.

When you ring eircom BB sales they will tell you anything to get you off the phone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

Being on some list does not mean anything. A new list can be written at any time. Due to be enabled also means nothing.

knipex wrote: »
    Dont believe a word.

When I was buying my house I called Eircom to see if broadband was available(the previosu owner gave me their number). Eircom told me the exchange was due to be enabled within the next 2 months so I bought the house.

That was 3 years ago and Croom (my local exchange) was only listed for upgrade on the last list and I am still waiting.

When you ring eircom BB sales they will tell you anything to get you off the phone.
    SkepticOne wrote: »
    Being on some list does not mean anything. A new list can be written at any time. Due to be enabled also means nothing.

I am as cynical as the next person, just reporting here what I have been told.
    When I posted originally I was also interested to see if many of the exchanges on the list of 100 actually got done, or if the list meant anything....I guess not

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

johnb25 wrote: »
    I am as cynical as the next person, just reporting here what I have been told.
    When I posted originally I was also interested to see if many of the exchanges on the list of 100 actually got done, or if the list meant anything....I guess not

AFAIK the list of 100 is done except for a few that you could probably count on one hand.

Advertisement