Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

first time snowboarder...

Options
  • 19-10-2006 2:08pm
    Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,331 ✭✭✭

this is mirrored from the travel forum but was advised to try here so any help would be appreciated :)

myself and the missus are off to Andorra in January for some snowboarding and skiiing fun I'm a "virgin" snowboarder so just looking for some info on what to bring really, i have the boots and board and lessons and insurance hired no prob but just wondering about clothing etc and what people reccommend. Date im going is 14th january and the region is pas de la casa (chez paulo is the resort i think)

btw, im doing snowboarding and shes going skiing, im guessin we can share slopes together after the lessons?? any help is much appreciated thanks folks

Splinty

original linky here

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭SideshowBob

First off, I should say that I haven't snowboarded but I've been skiing with snowboarders so the very next thing I'd arrange if I were you is an ass-pad. It'll save you so much pain. Get an old ground mat that you'd sleep on when camping, cut a section and fold it a few times so that it'll cover your backside and tailbone comfortably while still fitting into your ski trousers. I'd also bring a backup one.

As for snow clothes - you'll need a good jacket, a pair of salopets (ski trousers) - make sure these have braces and a high waistline so that they don't fall down easily and so that no snow will get into your clothing when you fall, a decent pair of skiing gloves - boarders sometimes get tougher gloves cos some of them like to trail their hands in the snow and, as a beginner, you'll prob spend a lot of time doing this. As for inner layers, it's kind of up to you. Under my coat, I wear a fleece coat and then a long-sleeved polyester t-shirt and that's usually enough to keep me warm, dry and happy. If you sweat a lot (I do) then don't wear cotton clothes, they just hold the sweat against your skin and when you stop moving, it gets cold (hard experience talking). I know other people who wear more layers so first time out try more layers - better too warm than too cold. Also, you'll need socks with loop stitching (I think), not sure why, might be something to do with heat but bring a few pairs, nothing more uncomfortable than dirty socks. You should be able to get most of this stuff in TK Maxx - I got stuff there two years ago thats still going strong, despite some serious tumbles. Lidl/Aldi do sales before christmas, the gear is ok but if you think you'll go a few times, I'd spend a little more in TK Maxx. Of course, if you have the cash, you can spend as much as you like in any number of outdoor type shops.

You might want to get goggles, about €30-40 will get a decent pair - they're the only way you'll see if it starts snowing anywhere near heavy. Some of the tinted ones give you better resolution of the snow in poor light and they will help protect your eyes if it gets very cold.
    You will need sunglasses. Bring two pairs, cos you'll end up losing/breaking one pair (again, hard personal experience!).

For apres ski, bring a good pair of boots and some warm clothes for moving from place to place, obviously indoors is well heated.

And yeah, skiers and snowboarders try to share the slopes as best possible so you'll be able to spend plenty of time with your gf.

All you'll really need tho is the ass-pad and a good sense of humour! Be prepared to hate it in the first day and love it by the fourth. You or your gf will want to go home at some stage on the first day, gaurantee it. Just stick with it tho, it's worth it. You'll never want to leave by the fifth day and be so tired by the sixth that you won't know whats going on. Heading to Avoriaz on the same date, can't wait. Anyone been there?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭Static M.e.

I went from Skiing to Snowboarding.

You can buy ass protectors (Aka Superman Pants) in Andorra they cost about €40 or so, I orgionally got mine in Andorra (Soldau) about 3 years and its still perfect, I went for foam with hard plastic covering my ass bone (I forget the name of it) But Its very important Ive had some nasty falls over my time and very nearly tore myself a new one at one stage but everytime the pants took the brunt of the damage. I cant recommend them enough get them before you hit the slopes.

As was mentioned you will spend the first 3 days on your ass constantly, either from failing or while listening to your instructor but each day you will progress more and more and by day 5 you will have no trouble tackling the slopes.

The first time I went I also purchased some Tk clothing, jacked lasted me 2 years while the pants only 1 trip. I ended up getting a decent set of pants without the shoulder straps but with an adjustable waist I also have vents in the side in case I over heat on a hot day. After that I just wear T-shirts and a jacket. I also carry around a bag with spare T-shists, water, suncream etc.

Good Gloves are quite important, your hands will be constantly in snow, so you need to make sure that the wrist band is tight and comfortable. What will really annoy you after a while is cold hands all day, and even after leaving them on the radiator for the night they are still wet in the morning.

Goggles are also extremly important, you can of course go with your sunnies as some do but I dont recommend it. Too easy to break and come off your face when you fail. What you dont want is your goggles steaming up on you, this happens alot with cheap goggles, to fix this by the way what I do is hang they around my neck while boarding and the air clears the steam away. Try not to place your goggles on your forehead while resting/waiting the steam from head will steam them up.

What I recommend is for you to borrow what you can from friends, alot of people have Ski/Snow board gear, it would save you a lot of money if you can borrow it, then if you like it, you can always get some good stuff next year.

Important stuff to bring everywhere with you.
    Suncream: you can get badly burnt, I put some on first thing in the morning and then every break time.
    Lip balm, alot of the time your lips will be the only thing exposed to the cold.
    Bring plenty of water with you, I carry two bottles with me all the time.
    Also carry some snacks incase you get hungry and dont want to stop just chuck some cereal bars in your bag.
    Get dressed in layers so if you get hot you can take layers of clothing off. Personnaly all I really wear is jocks, Superman pants, Skipants, Tshirt and jacket, and then sometimes Im still roasting. Other people wear alot more than me though, on your first day you will be sitting around in the sun alot so you wont need alot of clothing dont go overboard just because you think you will be cold. Around that time of the year in Andorra the sun can be quite hot, Tshirt weather hot, but you still wear your jacket incase you fall..

Thats all I can think for the moment, any more questions please ask!!

And yes after lessons you can both share the slopes :) one other thing if you are going to do lessons try and get the early morning lessons that leaves you free for the rest of the day to enjoy the slopes in relative peace, it will pay off later on during the week

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,331 ✭✭✭Splinter

oh kool, thanks folks :) one more question...where can i get goggles? camping shops?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,094 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

splinter wrote:
    oh kool, thanks folks :) one more question...where can i get goggles? camping shops?
    Yes, there should be loads of places selling goggles like Millets or Great Outdoors. They might not quite be fully stocked up on their winter gear range just yet though.

Hey, Ive just been to a Shop called Surfdock here in dublin (Near the shelbourne dog track afik) and they have some Dakine gloves going for 30-40 Euro sample stock they never got rid of, The gloves are top quality, seriously really good.

The have very few left maybe 8 pairs but if you can get in and get some you wont regret it, it mostly girls stuff now though.

• Advertisement

robinph wrote:
    Yes, there should be loads of places selling goggles like Millets or Great Outdoors. They might not quite be fully stocked up on their winter gear range just yet though.
    kool, yup foudn nearly all i need in the great outdoors just off henry street, only think i aint found is buttocks protection...heard "superman pants" are pretty important :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 583 ✭✭✭monkey tennis

Ass-pad seconded (thirded?). This is most valuable your first week, but even after that, it's useful, particularly if you plan on doing a lot of freestyle (jumps, grinds etc) at some point.

Also, either buy rollerblade-style wristguards that fit under your gloves, or (preferably) get gloves with built-in wristguards. Your natural instinct will be to reach out with your hands any time you fall - this is a quick road to a broken wrist. After a while, you'll learn to land on your forearms rather than your hands.

If possibly, make sure you have good core and abdominal strength before you go - every time you fall, you'll use your abdominal muscles to pull yourself up, and you'll be in fierce (muscle and bruise) pain every morning as is! It's surprising how much of your body snowboarding works out.

well i did rollerblading (park/street) for a few years so im used to the wrist thing. and im doing capoeira for the last shile so the stomach,abdomen are gettin better :) thanks again :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭Shad0r

As was mentioned you will spend the first 3 days on your ass constantly, either from failing or while listening to your instructor but each day you will progress more and more and by day 5 you will have no trouble tackling the slopes.

*cough* I was enjoying red slopes on the 3rd day!

If you have a good instructor and spend all day riding you could be too!! :)
    Goggles are also extremly important, you can of course go with your sunnies as some do but I dont recommend it. Too easy to break and come off your face when you fail. What you dont want is your goggles steaming up on you, this happens alot with cheap goggles, to fix this by the way what I do is hang they around my neck while boarding and the air clears the steam away.

If you wear lenses the best money you'll spend on your kit is on a decent pair of goggles. Spy or Smith are whom I would recommend. You will get what you pay for with goggles. I've known riders who will only wear sunnies but tbh if your going to start riding fast, and doing tricks then you'd be better off with goggles imo.
    What I recommend is for you to borrow what you can from friends, alot of people have Ski/Snow board gear, it would save you a lot of money if you can borrow it, then if you like it, you can always get some good stuff next year.

Borrow clothing but rent equipment. The rental guys will set up your board properly for you based on your height and experience. You might hate snowboarding and regret having bought the gear. Rentals are relatively inexpensive and its better to give yourself the best chance to enjoy it, rather than inheriting a mates board settings and boots that are shaped to his feet.

The only other thing I would advise is to get lessons everyday you're there until you are at a strong intermediate level. Seriously.

*cough* I was enjoying red slopes on the 3rd day!

You must have had a great instructor!!

I can still remember going down my first blue and nearly soiling myself!! I really thought I was the bee knee's when I finally got to the bottom and looked back up... awh memories!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭Shad0r

You must have had a great instructor!!

I can still remember going down my first blue and nearly soiling myself!! I really thought I was the bee knee's when I finally got to the bottom and looked back up... awh memories!!

Yeah we did have a great instructor...that and I was on the slopes as soon as they opened and then was pretty much man handled off them at the end of the night. Couldnt get enough of it the first night...

The buzz of doing turns on a red slope on day three was like nothing I've felt before or since. High as a kite I was on adrenaline.

Advertisement