Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help ! (Query about Mary I postgrad and primary sub teacher number)

Options
  • 19-10-2006 2:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8

Hi everyone.
    I know there is a lotta threads about this subject but I dunno if any of them actually relate exactly to what it is im enquiring about. Anyway I am going to apply for the Pos Grad in Mary I this month but Ive notice you talking about the points equivelant of your degrees. I did an arts degree but only passed by compensation. How do you figure out how many points that converts to ? And how many points do you need for the course ? Can anyone help? Is anyone else going to apply for the Post Grad? I have only done one day of Sub Work so far because that is all I can get! Also, does anyone know what is the story with getting a teacher number etc if you are not actually a teacher?

Thanks to everyone (or ANYONE !!!) that replies,
    Shelly :confused::)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

Hi everyone.
    I know there is a lotta threads about this subject but I dunno if any of them actually relate exactly to what it is im enquiring about. Anyway I am going to apply for the Pos Grad in Mary I this month but Ive notice you talking about the points equivelant of your degrees. I did an arts degree but only passed by compensation. How do you figure out how many points that converts to ? And how many points do you need for the course ? Can anyone help? Is anyone else going to apply for the Post Grad? I have only done one day of Sub Work so far because that is all I can get! Also, does anyone know what is the story with getting a teacher number etc if you are not actually a teacher?

Thanks to everyone (or ANYONE !!!) that replies,
    Shelly :confused::)

Ok, relax :)

The points only relate to the secondary H.Dip, not the primary. The interview criteria for the post grad in Mary I is based around first doing a good personal statement, and then performing well during the interview (Both English and Irish language).

You probably already have a teacher number now if you got paid for your one day of subbing. Basically the principal would have sent a separate form away asking for a number to be allocated to you. If this hasnt happened, ask the next principal you work for to do it for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 buttons/shelly

Thank you so so much !!!!! i just got paid yesterday for my day of sub work so i guess the teacher number thing is sorted !!! Thanks for helping with the points q as well, even though my chances are still slim id say based on the fact i only got a pass degree an der will b loads with honours degrees applying for it, all i can hope is that wen i have enough swottin done for the interview that might get me through ! no harm to be posititve anyway !!!!
    Thanks for responding so quickly, u seem to be very knowledgable are you a teacher yourself?

Shelly !!:D

Thank you so so much !!!!! i just got paid yesterday for my day of sub work so i guess the teacher number thing is sorted !!! Thanks for helping with the points q as well, even though my chances are still slim id say based on the fact i only got a pass degree an der will b loads with honours degrees applying for it, all i can hope is that wen i have enough swottin done for the interview that might get me through ! no harm to be posititve anyway !!!!
    Thanks for responding so quickly, u seem to be very knowledgable are you a teacher yourself?

Shelly !!:D

Im a trainee teacher with Hibernia, subbing for a living in primary and secondary. I sat the interviews for Mary I, and the PGCE in the UK too, and applied and was accepted for a secondary H Dip but didnt accept my place due to moving in the primary direction..

So.. you could say I've a little bit of knowledge on the subject lol :D

Is The Interview For Mary I Tough? What About The Irish Part? Ive Heard You Have To Have Really Good Irish Or Theres No Point Applying - I Have Done Some Resesarch And Know That You Have To Read And Explain A Piece Of Prose? Is This A Really Difficult Piece?? Did You Have Many Days Sub Work Done When You Went For The Interview?? When You Say You Have To Have A Strong Personal Statement Is This Basically Showing Your Desire And Motivation For Teaching Etc Etc???
    As For The Hibenia Route- Can You Still Get A Local Authority Grant For This Course Do You Know ? Sorry To Bombard You With All These Questions By The Way !!! Tell Me To Bugger Off If U Want !!!

Is The Interview For Mary I Tough? What About The Irish Part? Ive Heard You Have To Have Really Good Irish Or Theres No Point Applying - I Have Done Some Resesarch And Know That You Have To Read And Explain A Piece Of Prose? Is This A Really Difficult Piece?? Did You Have Many Days Sub Work Done When You Went For The Interview?? When You Say You Have To Have A Strong Personal Statement Is This Basically Showing Your Desire And Motivation For Teaching Etc Etc???
    As For The Hibenia Route- Can You Still Get A Local Authority Grant For This Course Do You Know ? Sorry To Bombard You With All These Questions By The Way !!! Tell Me To Bugger Off If U Want !!!

Ok theres no way I have the month off to answer that.. so
    Q1 Yes, Q2 Yes, You do need good Irish, You do read a passage of prose, Difficult is relative, yes I had over a hundred, yes thats what the personal statement is for, No you cant get a grant for Hibernia.

• Advertisement

thank you & sorry ! wont bother you again !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 718 ✭✭✭thirdmantackle

apply to St Pats or Marino, heard the interview isn't as hard as Mary I, especially the Irish one

thank you & sorry ! wont bother you again !

Im glad to help! Its just tough to answer so many questions in one go :)

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭Ogie16

is it one common application form for the Dublin colleges?
    How do they decide who goes to which college..

Ogie16 wrote:
    is it one common application form for the Dublin colleges?
    How do they decide who goes to which college..

Yes it is. You choose between Mary I and the Dublin Colleges. You then order the colleges in Dublin by preference. At least thats the way it was when I saw it last, but as always, check this out for certain in the application documentation.

• Advertisement

I'm guessing that Marino would be the least in demand. would that improve the chances of getting a place if a person ranked this as their 1st choice

• Closed Accounts Posts: 207 ✭✭GAA widow

If you really want to get into the Mary I postgrad course another safety net option (if you aren't accepted) is to apply as a mature student for the degree course via the CAO and then re-apply for the postgrad course in february once you have started the degree course. If you're successful in your application that's 2 years instead of 18 months.

probably a good way around it but could be costly, firstly if you had to pay fees for the degree as a mature student and then fees for the post grad course

• Closed Accounts Posts: 207 ✭✭GAA widow

Ogie16 wrote:
    probably a good way around it but could be costly, firstly if you had to pay fees for the degree as a mature student and then fees for the post grad course

Do mature students have to pay fees for fulltime undergrad courses? I didn't think they did, but I could be wrong.

they do if they already hold a degree. and that would be the case with those in question here as to apply for the post grad you must be a degree holder.

If a mature student does not already hold a degree then they are not liable for fees

Advertisement