Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

cold calling and cold letter mailing

Options
  • 19-10-2006 2:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

What is peoples opinion on ringing businesses and companies who you think might be interested in your services and or product? Same question goes for snail mailing companies with a letter about your services and how you could help them. I guess this could be called cold mailing.

So these business would not have asked for calls or letters but is this illegal?, unethical?, frowned upon?, a waster of time? or is it perfectly fine and a good way to get new customers.

Obviously I want to get new customers but I dont want to tarnish my rep getting them.

Any comments and views are appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭layke

Cold Calling doesn't really work anymore imo people are pretty wise to it.

When I recieve a call like those in work looking for the MD (and nobody sees the MD) I put the phone down for a bit and tell them "he's in a meeting".
    Letters may be read yet usually go in the bin. Email is ok though, not too intrusive as long as you craft the mail to be personal and not look like a spam mail generated by a bot is best imo.

Word of mouth is the best advertising, but it depends what your selling.

In my last company they sold software and allowed a 30 day trial if you register. Once registered we'd call them during the trial to "ask what they thought" with the motive to sell. You see if you pull the sales pitch people harden up and become resistant. You gotta be a smooth operator in that game though. 1

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,353 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Mostly a waste of time. And at work time is money.

If there are others in your sector who regularly cold call prospective customers then those customers will probably have been called out and won't relesh the thought of yet another timewaster.

Cold calling from drones who don't have prices or technical knowledge don't impress much either.

Isn't emailing to a persons address illegal ?
    Or is there a loop hole because the address belongs to a company ?
    Don't worry, when I get cold calling email, I make sure the electrons are reused.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭ircoha

layke wrote:
    Cold Calling doesn't really work anymore imo people are pretty wise to it.

When I recieve a call like those in work looking for the MD (and nobody sees the MD) I put the phone down for a bit and tell them "he's in a meeting".
    Letters may be read yet usually go in the bin. Email is ok though, not too intrusive as long as you craft the mail to be personal and not look like a spam mail generated by a bot is best imo.

Word of mouth is the best advertising, but it depends what your selling.

In my last company they sold software and allowed a 30 day trial if you register. Once registered we'd call them during the trial to "ask what they thought" with the motive to sell. You see if you pull the sales pitch people harden up and become resistant. You gotta be a smooth operator in that game though. 1

email is not okay, if unsolicited, it is a crime, which does not apply to snail mail.
    I am not at home now but have some v interesting stuff on the law in this area, will try and remember to post it.

Advertisement