Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Xbox 360 vs PS2

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭quad_red

Tusky wrote:
    Im gonna be buying an Xbox 360 next week. What games are worth getting ? I was planning on...

-Pro Evolution Soccer 6
    -Saints Row
    -Dead Rising

Any others ?

Oblivion cos it rocks and Call of Duty for multiplayer action on Live (no. 2 is already out and you'll pick it up relatively cheap. However, COD 3 is out early next month).

Am I the only one who was totally unimpressed with Dead Rising? The demo off live did nothing for me.

As for the PS2 vs. 360 argument. I haven't played a console as much my 360 since the SNES. The PS2 is in it's twilight years. Devs can pump out games. And they certainly are for the PS2. And most of them look like waffle.

I suppose it comes down to how many games can one man play/afford? I am a casual gamer. And I do not intend in buying more than one game a month - it'd be a waste anyway cos I generally play one game at a time. So GOW and COD3 will keep me well going till Jan when a pile of big hitters arrive.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

Then say "the Dead Rising demo didn't impress me", if you only played the demo and not the game :p
    The demo doesn't reflect on the game IMO, it just gives you a chance to kill some zombies. Full game is different. I loved it. Played through it a whole bunch of times now. Only thing I plan to do still is the survival mode, but I'd have to do that some weekend when I have no other games to play (no save in that mode).

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

quad_red wrote:
    Am I the only one who was totally unimpressed with Dead Rising? The demo off live did nothing for me.

yeah i agree, played the demo and watched a lot of the game being played and I never once felt compelled to buy it.

Just not my cup of tea really

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,080 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

The Xbox to 360 switch saw a near complete loss in support of new Xbox releases. If Sony’s handling of the PS to PS2 changeover is anything to go by the PS3 changeover will happen over a longer period, with no sudden loss of PS2 support or ‘life’.
    Reason ps2 has so many releases, is because the ps3 isn't out till next year, sony are covering their asses well with all these releases.

With...
    an installed base of nearly 150 million units, it no surprise that the PS2 is going to have a broader range of games.

...It looks like business as usual, not ass covering.
    Splinter Cell on the 360 was developed at an entirely different studio to the ps2 version, granted it's the same game, but it was specifically developed seperatly to get the best use out of the 360, and wasn't just ported to a "higher res" :rolleyes:

PSU is coming out on the 360 too.

With any of these multi-format games interfered with by different developers it’s hard to know which one actually plays best.

Can you explain the substantial difference between “get the best use out of the 360”, and “just ported to a ‘higher res’”?
    Looking at the first post:...

Im gonna have to take out a loan to get these gems...

forgot this one... :)

While some of those you listed may or may not be pure ****, I’ll presume for the sake of argument you are taking the piss out of the names that don’t appeal to you.

If this is the case, you might want to note that Sony and the supporting publishers haven’t got the PS2 install base to where it is now by just appealing to a narrow demographic (ie the kind of demographic MS is trying to expand out of with the 360).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭H3LLg0d

U cant compare a superior 360 to a PS2 its stupid

You maybe able to compare the ps3 when its out

Even the xbox vs the ps2 wins hands down for graphics and superior online play
    Dont even try and dispute what iv said unless youv played the ps2 and xbox online or even not

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Ahem.. tard...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭0ubliette

That list is ridiculous. Look at the ps2 games and 90% of them are garbage. Yeah, im frothing at the mouth waiting to fire up spongebob squarepants the game. Then take a look at the 360 list and realise that alot of big hitters are 'conveniently' omitted. Umm hello Gears of war? Fanboyism of the highest order. Got your ps3 on pre-order already have ya?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

Its a list of releases for the period preceeding 19/10 you ****ing moron

I have no intention of purchasing a PS3. I own an xbox 360 and two xbox 1's.

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭justfortherecor

Weekly Sales figures from Japan....
    Here are the sales figures from Oct 30 - Nov 5th '06:

1st. Nintendo DS Lite - 113,097
    2nd. PSP - 23,725
    3rd. PS2 - 20,982
    4th. X360 - 6,580

DS lite has been selling over 100k a week since May.
    PS2 has been selling around the 20k mark consistently.
    PSP had a surge to 45k in August but has fallen back again.
    Xbox360 has had a recent surge there as well. Was averaging only 1,200 a week in August but rose recently due to release of core system. Another New core system release on Dec 7th should help sales again.

Interesting to note the DS outsells every other console in Japan added together TWICE. (i.e all other console sales that week totalled 55,339)

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,080 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

It's about games, apparently...
    ‘‘Our own research indicates that, despite its age, the Playstation 2 will still be the biggest-selling console in the Irish market this year,” said Niall O’Hanrahan, managing director of SCE Ireland.

‘‘That might sound incredible, as the console is behind some of its rivals on technology.

But it’s down to the strategy that the PS2 has taken with the introduction of games like Eyetoy, Buzz and SingStar.

http://www.sbpost.ie/post/pages/p/story.aspx-qqqt=TECHNOLOGY-qqqm=nav-qqqid=18603-qqqx=1.asp

[Any before anybody says anything, yes, I am linking to an article that I'm quoted - try not to get into a fit]

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,173 ✭✭✭1huge1

people are still buying the ps2 here, honestly finding it hard to believe thats its going to sell the most though they did say console
    im sure the ds is going to wipe the floor with it
    though the x box 360 could do very well due to gear of war
    though i actually thnk the wii could walk away with it like every shops pre-orders for it are full

• Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭wayne040576

Weekly Sales figures from Japan....
    Here are the sales figures from Oct 30 - Nov 5th '06:

1st. Nintendo DS Lite - 113,097
    2nd. PSP - 23,725
    3rd. PS2 - 20,982
    4th. X360 - 6,580

DS lite has been selling over 100k a week since May.
    PS2 has been selling around the 20k mark consistently.
    PSP had a surge to 45k in August but has fallen back again.
    Xbox360 has had a recent surge there as well. Was averaging only 1,200 a week in August but rose recently due to release of core system. Another New core system release on Dec 7th should help sales again.

Interesting to note the DS outsells every other console in Japan added together TWICE. (i.e all other console sales that week totalled 55,339)

It was also outselling everything else in the US during October
    DS (are these combined lite and fat figures?) 360,000
    Ps2 235,000
    Xbox360 215,000
    Gameboy advance 169,000
    PSP 130,000

On an aside, I've read that the 360 port of pro evolution soccer is not as good as the ps2 version. 6 - 8 stadiums on the 360 vs 30 on the ps2 and quite a few options missing from the team config. I haven't played it but I did read a few posts on other boards by people who had bought the 360 version and weren't happy. Apparently Microsoft put pressure on Konami to release the game earlier than planned so that it would get out at the same time as the other versions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,352 ✭✭✭plonk

Was the ps2 not like £460 with a game when it came out first. I think thats what I paid for it well look how well it did

• Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭mcgarnicle

plonk wrote:
    Was the ps2 not like £460 with a game when it came out first. I think thats what I paid for it well look how well it did

It was £380 with nothing. Not sure what that translates to today but €600 sounds about right to be honest.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,409 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

The PS2 didn't sell well until the first price drop and then it was 2 years after launch and another price drop that the PS2 took off and started to out sell the PS1.

Advertisement