Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Learner driver car

Options
  • 19-10-2006 3:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭

What car is best for learning to drive in?

My guess would be a small car with good visibility, light controls and steering, reliable, petrol engined, small turning circle, good driver seat adjustment, easy to judge front and rear.

I'm probably describing something like a Micra or a Yaris. Anyone got any suggestions?

I did my test in a Golf diesel but I don't think it was the best for the role.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

I like the VW Polo, good car and shouldn't let you down

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭joolsveer

One problem I had when driving a Corsa was that the pedals were offset to the left giving me a cramp in the hip. Do any other cars suffer from pedal issues.

I suppose the car should be a manual rather than an automatic?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,990 ✭✭✭✭Stark

I found the Ford Fiesta and the Volkswagen Polo were both very easy to drive.

I drove a Micra for a bit, absolutely despised it. Gearbox kept jamming, brakes were ****, handling was ****, the car was **** in general. I hope it's in a lower circle of hell somewhere right now.

I have owned Fiat, VW, Nissan, Opel, Peugeot and Renault over the years and was not happy with reliability and servicing. Is there a single marque where the product and the main dealers are good?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭Car Mad

i learned to drive me parents 1.9tdi toledo.best thing ever learning to drive in a high powered car.(means ull be able to handle one in future)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

joolsveer wrote:
    I have owned Fiat, VW, Nissan, Opel, Peugeot and Renault over the years and was not happy with reliability and servicing. Is there a single marque where the product and the main dealers are good?

I'm on my 3rd Toyota and cannot fault the cars. They are very reliable, have a good warranty, aftersales service, and their resale value is very good. I find them to be very good to deal with especially if there is a problem. I would also put Mazda, Honda, Ford and Skoda into that company.

Car Mad wrote:
    i learned to drive me parents 1.9tdi toledo.best thing ever learning to drive in a high powered car.(means ull be able to handle one in future)

What I was after really was the type of car to buy to use in a driving school business so I don't think high power would be a consideration. Durability and an ability to tolerate botched gear changes would be important though.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,660 ✭✭✭maidhc

bazz26 wrote:
    I'm on my 3rd Toyota and cannot fault the cars. They are very reliable, have a good warranty, aftersales service, and their resale value is very good. I find them to be very good to deal with especially if there is a problem. I would also put Mazda, Honda, Ford and Skoda into that company.

The service you will get from a ford main dealer is very very poor compared to a toyota one, from my experience anyway.

I'd say a Yaris is an ideal car for a driving instructor. 1.0, fine view, and in the old ones the tester couldn't see the speedo! :)

A diesel would be a disaster, they are far too easy to stall.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭Car Mad

u cud buy a mini iv seen tons of them around other ideas r colt,corsa,yaris,gtez

Car Mad wrote:
    u cud buy a mini iv seen tons of them around other ideas r colt,corsa,yaris,gtez

I don't think I would go for a Corsa as I have had bad experiences with Opel. I don't know the gtez.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,648 ✭✭✭knifey_spoonie

Well i got my lessons in a new yaris, it was great, big mirrors, light steering, easy gear change...........but ill give you my final opinion when i do my test in one in 2 weeks ;)

What is an average cost for driving lessons in the greater Dublin area? Do lessons generally last a full hour?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,990 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Around €35 is the average cost. Lessons generally last a full hour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭Irish Salfordia

joolsveer wrote:
    What I was after really was the type of car to buy to use in a driving school business so I don't think high power would be a consideration. Durability and an ability to tolerate botched gear changes would be important though.

I have ben using the skoda fabia 1.9 straight diesel as a driving school car for three years now. After overcoming my knowledge of old skoda's, this has been the best driving school car i have had. After 75,000 miles, had replacement clutch at 60,000 (previous car was mazda 121/old type ford fiesta, and in 2 years and 50,000 had 3 clutches), but other than that a service every 10,000 miles and the odd wiper blade and tyre.

Very robust and reliable. Difficult to stall, easy to drive, great turning lock, big mirrors and good all round vision. I can't fault it and will probably go for same again in 2007

• Registered Users Posts: 9,117 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Only started driving in the past few months. First car I drove was the instructor's Micra, the new model. After I finished lessons I started driving my mom's Focus, also the new model. After driving the Focus twice I realised how awful the Micra was to drive. Don't go near one.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

I would say a Yaris is probably the easiest car to learn to drive in. gear change is very easy, no push-down or pull-up jobbies for reverse. the clutch is light and gradual and all models (bar the hugely unpopular E model ) have very light power steering, There's a high driving position. Controls are logically placed too. which is a help!

downsides are that the driving instructor can't see what speed you're doing. and they're quite expensive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

The Toyota Aygo/Peugeot 106/Citreon C1 are a nice small 1 litre car which would be lightish on the insurance.

(they're all practically the same car, built in the same factory, same components)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭gyppo

I'd go along with the toyota. As Colm said, the Yaris might be a bit expensive.

I'd keep an eye out for one of the last model Starlets - nice easy clutch, precise gearchange, good driving position, and a nippy 1.3l engine.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

The Toyota Aygo/Peugeot 106/Citreon C1 are a nice small 1 litre car which would be lightish on the insurance.

(they're all practically the same car, built in the same factory, same components)

Aygo only available from late 2005, so still a bit too much to be spending on a first car IMHO.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

I've been learning to drive over the last couple of months and have been learning in a renault clio petrol and renault megan deisel.

The megan is a lovely car to drive. I've driven a few different cars aswell both petrol and deisel. I find deisel alot easier to drive. The only time I stall in the deisel is the occasionaly hill start. In the petrols, I can stall on normal starts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭delos

gyppo wrote:
    I'd keep an eye out for one of the last model Starlets - nice easy clutch, precise gearchange, good driving position, and a nippy 1.3l engine.
    Spot on! I learned to drive in a Starlet and it was only when I switched to a Cordoba (bad, bad move!)that I fully appreciated what a joy to drive the Starlet was :(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭CyberGhost

I have Honda Civic 93, and I absolutely loved it as a learning car, i passed my driving license about 2 weeks ago with it too :D

It has a very good visibility, I like the not very sensitive clutch, and it eats very little gas.

After getting used to Civic, driving BMW 5 Series was really really hard, and visibility was aweful comprared to the little Honda.

Advertisement