Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cornice Cut?

Options
  • 19-10-2006 3:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 231 ✭✭

Hi,

I am doing a bit of DIY for my sister and she wants me to add a cornice on top of a few cupboards but there is a 90 degress angle on one, which means I will have to cut it at a 45? degrees to join them together.

TBH, I have tried this with a hand saw (yeah laugh away) unsuccessfully. Is there a special type of tool to cut it with or any other way of joining them together without seeing the joint?
    Thanks
    Tom

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,470 ✭✭✭✭Alun

You need what is called a mitre box. Should be able to get one from most DIY stores.

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭garyh3

Ok was watching a DIY channel on SKY they were doing cornice and he recommended getting the cornice bracket that you should be able to buy with your cornice. Basically its an L shape peice of metal that matches your cornice and you put it agaist the cornice then use your oldest saw to cut accorss the cornice to give you the 45 degrees.

Garyh3

• Registered Users Posts: 27,164 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Yeah you want a mitre box and a mitre saw
    or if you have a lot to do (or some spare cash) get an electric mitre saw
    Very hand for cutting all sorts of things (not just mitres)

• Registered Users Posts: 39,408 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

GreeBo wrote:
    Yeah you want a mitre box and a mitre saw
    or if you have a lot to do (or some spare cash) get an electric mitre saw
    Very hand for cutting all sorts of things (not just mitres)
    Surely a mitre box and a regular saw would be the job, or a mitre saw on its own. Unless your not refering to the mitre saw i am thinking of. (the kind fixed in an adjustable frame)
    them cowboys in woodies will fleece him if he asks for all that. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭Hotwheels

If you are handy, you can make the Mitre Box yourself out of a few pieces of wood, if you make the inside of the box to the width of the coving as it sits on the wall, then use a tri-square and mark out the Mitres and cut them into the box

Now when you cut your coving the Mitres will be correct...take it nice and slowly cutting and you'll be fine...if you have extra do a few trial runs first and see how you get on..
    Best 'O' Luck with the job...:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭Corkey123

Don't forget to get some mitre glue. It sets on contact. It will allow you to hold the cornice together while you fix it.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,470 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Hotwheels wrote:
    If you are handy, you can make the Mitre Box yourself out of a few pieces of wood, if you make the inside of the box to the width of the coving as it sits on the wall, then use a tri-square and mark out the Mitres and cut them into the box
    Possibly, although I'd be inclined to say that if you're handy enough to cut the slots in a home-made mitre box straight and accurate enough, then you don't need a mitre box in the first place :)

Fine if you are only doing one or two corners, but a mitre box will speed up the job if you are doing the whole kitchen.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,164 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Mellor wrote:
    Surely a mitre box and a regular saw would be the job, or a mitre saw on its own. Unless your not refering to the mitre saw i am thinking of. (the kind fixed in an adjustable frame)
    them cowboys in woodies will fleece him if he asks for all that. ;)
    sorry, I meant a tenon saw with the mitre box
    A compound mitre saw is the best thing for all these sorts of jobs...but they are expensive

• Closed Accounts Posts: 231 ✭✭ThomasH

Cheers guys,

I went to B&Q yesterday and bought the mitre box and volla...job well done!

Thanks all

Tom

• Advertisement
Advertisement