Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Rubber strips on roads around city

• 19-10-2006 4:07pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,497 ✭✭✭✭

I see there are rubber strips placed on some roads around town the last week or so. They look like they might be devices for counting traffic volumes? Saw one on the Old Callan road, Tullaroan road and Castle road. Anybody know what exactly they might be?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,015 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

mfitzy wrote:
    I see there are rubber strips placed on some roads around town the last week or so. They look like they might be devices for counting traffic volumes? Saw one on the Old Callan road, Tullaroan road and Castle road. Anybody know what exactly they might be?
    Traffic counters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭JohnMc1

There was one on John's Bridge today. I wonder if they are posting traffic lights around there. Good enough if they do. It would teach some of those asshole drivers to stop when someone wants to use the crosswalks on John's St.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,429 ✭✭✭brettmirl

Those traffic counters were EVERYWHERE!

What are they at? Trying to decide what road to do up next based on traffic volume? Or have the council brought in more 'experts' to decide on a traffic plan?

Was quite surprised to see that most of them were still intact after last night. Expected to see the one on John's Bridge in the river this morning!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,306 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Usually a traffic light appears soon afterwards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

There's one on green's bridge at the location of the most retarded pedestrian crossing in the country - i.e. the one you can't see if you're coming from wolfe tone st because of the BIG BLOODY WALL.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,497 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Stephen wrote:
    There's one on green's bridge at the location of the most retarded pedestrian crossing in the country - i.e. the one you can't see if you're coming from wolfe tone st because of the BIG BLOODY WALL.

Very hard to know what to do with that one. Think the Greenshill residents wanted it there but imo it would be better and safer a bit up the way say outside the Nore bar instead. Hate that junction myself.
    Of course a second bridge crossing from the Comer road to the Freshford rd would be the ideal solution to take traffic off Greensbridge. But going by how long it takes to get any infrastructure in place in KK city or county I'm sure I'll be long gone by the time that notion even makes it to planning stage!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,473 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

The council are also harrassing drivers with surveys this week. I saw them outside the hospital on Tuesday morning and on the comer road on wednesday. They also have the long arm of the law assisting them by forcing people to stop.

They have been doing those on and off for the last two weeks or so now.

Wonder why they are doing it?

No doubt the council have paid big bucks to consultants to tell them that there is actually a lot of traffic passing through on a daily basis.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,497 ✭✭✭✭road_high

I don't how some of these devices aren't getting vandalised by some young thugs- actually I'm really surprised, they're everywhere around Kilkenny.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,473 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

I think they are pretty much vandal proof.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,964 ✭✭✭Hmm_Messiah

Bond-007 wrote:
    I think they are pretty much vandal proof.

you "think" or "you've found that" ?? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 kilkenny21m

I saw the man (who installs them!) installing the one at john's bridge at half five in the morning (i was on the way to work, nothing dodgy) so I guess that is the only time he could get peace to install them??!

Noticed driving back up from KK yesterday that there are about 10 of them installed as you drive through Athy now.

Advertisement