Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Water heating problem

Options
  • 19-10-2006 4:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭

I'm in my house 4 years from new but don't use my bath that often just showers. I've noticed that if I only have the immersion on, even sometimes up to 6 hours, there is still not enough hot water to fill a bath. If I have the central heating on with the immersion, after 2 hours there's more than enough hot water to fill the bath. I would have thought I should be able to do this with just the immersion. In mild weather and I want a bath, I don't want to have the central heating on just to have hot water for my bath. Do I have a problem. Any advice appreciated.
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

I assume you have the immersion switched to 'bath'. If you do then it's possible that the bath element, which reaches deeper into the cylinder, is faulty.

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭Manuel

It's also possible that your "sink/bath" switch is wired wrong. It took me weeks to figure out that this was my problem.

So don't use any central heating and leave your immersion on at "sink" for a couple of hours, well 3 let's say. This is only for investigation purposes. If you get a half-bath or more of hot water, then your switch is wired wrong.

Oh, and if that doesn't work, then it could be a valve in your hot press is diverting too much heat to your rads and needs to be turned down. Don't think that's it in this case though.

Generally, I've learned (through this board) that you should use your oil to start heating your tank, and then top up with your immersion heater. Don't use the immersion heater from scratch. If you have zoned valves at your central heating timer switch, you can keep your zones valves shut and your main valve will heat the water only, maybe a few rads as well, but not the whole house.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,142 ✭✭✭TempestSabre

I have this problem aswell. I tried switching the wiring to the bath and sink switch in case it was wired wrong but this wasn't the problem. To be honest even our central heating doesn't heat the cylinder as well as I'd expect. Increasing the pressure in the system has a helped a bit with that though.

Advertisement