Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

UK driving licence

Options
  • 19-10-2006 4:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭

Hi guys can someone tell me if northern irish licence is same as uk licence.
    Also does anyone have any links on how to do a test in belfast.do you have to do a provisional driving test or can you just get the licence there.as im thinking of getting a licence from belfast.

whats you advice.Please give me logical advice only and no thread spoiling or stupid comments and no comments relating my personal life!!you know what i mean:D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,991 ✭✭✭✭Stark

drdre wrote:
    whats you advice.Please give me logical advice only and no thread spoiling or stupid comments and no comments relating my personal life!!you know what i mean:D

You mean like the last time you asked this question and it turned out it was to get around a likely ban on your Irish licence?

In response to your questions, in order to do a driving test in Belfast, you'll need a Northern Irish provisional. In order to get one of those, you'll need to be a resident of the north.

If you are banned from driving on your Irish licence, you will be banned from driving on other EU licences. Also you are not allowed hold a licence for more than one EU country.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

drdre wrote:
    Hi guys can someone tell me if northern irish licence is same as uk licence.

Kind of. It is more or less treated like a UK license but in the UK they can be a bit funny. For example, even though it says it is a UK license the banks can be funny about taking it as ID.
    drdre wrote:
    Also does anyone have any links on how to do a test in belfast.do you have to do a provisional driving test or can you just get the licence there.as im thinking of getting a licence from belfast.

Try this:

http://www.dvlni.gov.uk/

Beware. Unlike in the recent past they may very well ask you to prove that you are a resident of NI. If they do you will have to provide evidence that you have been living there for the last 12 months, otherwise you are not entitled to a license. Also you will have to get someone in NI to sign your photos. They have to be from certain professions and will have to certify that they have known you for x years. They do occasionally follow these up.
    drdre wrote:

Hope that helps. What is wrong with your Irish license?:D

MrP

• Registered Users Posts: 65,401 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Stark wrote:
    You mean like the last time you asked this question and it turned out it was to get around a likely ban on your Irish licence?

You beat me to it, Stark :)

@dre, did your dad keep both his Irish and UK driving licenses, or did he hand one in as I suggested?

Stark wrote:

Oh. That answers my question.

MrP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭drdre

thanks guys, And just to let you guys know im not banned and wonot be banned. I just want to find out about this.thanks

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 404 ✭✭calhob_ie

You'll need an address in the north as your residence and the ability to back it up with documentary evidence.

I recently looked at doing mine in Glasgow, as thats where I'm from, and the DVLA wanted my passport in addition to my address before they'd issue me with a provisional. Waiting times are generally shorter in the UK, in Glasgow it was around 7wks but the test is considerably harder. Similar to here theres a requirement to do a theory test before the practical exam.

There's also a requirement to produce a vehicle reg cert and mot if appropriate so you may encounter problems trying to sit the test in a southern registered car.

Generally its a major hassle but possible, specifically to prevent people from fraudulantly obtaining licenses.

On another note if you happen to be banned down here then the ban will stand regardless of where or how you happen to come by another license.

unkel wrote:
    You beat me to it, Stark :)

@dre, did your dad keep both his Irish and UK driving licenses, or did he hand one in as I suggested?
    unkel.my dad still has both licences as he was never asked to give them back and the funny thing is it was expired and they gave him a new one afew weeks ago.
    i think you can hold 2 licences.

calhob_ie wrote:
    You'll need an address in the north as your residence and the ability to back it up with documentary evidence.

I recently looked at doing mine in Glasgow, as thats where I'm from, and the DVLA wanted my passport in addition to my address before they'd issue me with a provisional. Waiting times are generally shorter in the UK, in Glasgow it was around 7wks but the test is considerably harder. Similar to here theres a requirement to do a theory test before the practical exam.

There's also a requirement to produce a vehicle reg cert and mot if appropriate so you may encounter problems trying to sit the test in a southern registered car.

Generally its a major hassle but possible, specifically to prevent people from fraudulantly obtaining licenses.

On another note if you happen to be banned down here then the ban will stand regardless of where or how you happen to come by another license.
    thanks, i have a belfast address and an address in manchester.i can state that im working in belfast and if needed get an account open there.
    would that make a difference

• Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

drdre wrote:
    i think you can hold 2 licences.
    No you can't ...

From http://ec.europa.eu/youreurope/nav/en/citizens/living/car/driving-license/index_en.html
    - you cannot hold more than one driving licence issued by a Member State, even if your licence has been suspended or withdrawn.

drdre wrote:
    thanks, i have a belfast address and an address in manchester.i can state that im working in belfast and if needed get an account open there.
    would that make a difference
    You can "have" as many addresses as you like (whatever the fcuk that means), what matters is where you are ordinarily resident! Why can't you understand that?

I know people in Germany and Holland, and have family in the UK, that doesn't mean I'm resident there, and doesn't mean I can get (legally) get a driving licence there. It's illegal and fraudulent, end of story.

• Advertisement

Alun wrote:
    You can "have" as many addresses as you like (whatever the fcuk that means), what matters is where you are ordinarily resident! Why can't you understand that?

I know people in Germany and Holland, and have family in the UK, that doesn't mean I'm resident there, and doesn't mean I can get (legally) get a driving licence there. It's illegal and fraudulent, end of story.

yes i understand that but just asked the simple question.no need to be ignorant about it

drdre wrote:
    yes i understand that but just asked the simple question.no need to be ignorant about it
    It's effectively the same simple question you asked months ago, and you got the same answer. And if you understand it why ask it again? And if you understand it, and intend to go ahead with it anyway, why bother asking?

Alun wrote:
    It's effectively the same simple question you asked months ago, and you got the same answer. And if you understand it why ask it again? And if you understand it, and intend to go ahead with it anyway, why bother asking?

i asked it before but had to get the thread shut down because of people like you, and i think it needs to be shut again.Whats you problem in asking a question and trying to find out a conclusion , if its possible or not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 404 ✭✭calhob_ie

You can indeed use your manchester address but you would have to have your "normal" residence at that address. Its somewhere around the 156 day mark out of the last 356. You could play the "I've just moved here" card but they'd no doubt require documentary back up that you were living there. Ie bills etc. You'd probably fall down on having no National Insurance number or records (UK PRSI records) and no employer in Manchester.

Like i said it would be a major pain to get one you'd effectively have to move to your place in Manchester.

Heres a link to the id requirements for a UK Prov.

http://www.direct.gov.uk/Motoring/DriverLicensing/NeedANewOrUpdatedLicence/NeedANewOrUpdatedLicenceArticles/fs/en?CONTENT_ID=4022091&chk=bDnpME

Jesus lads. Question asked and answered. Just to recap.

You may well be able to do it but, it will be illegal and you may be required to prove your residency.

MrP

thanks guys for your help, but it looks harder than i thought.i just wanted to get it as a spare that if i got to uk i can use it etc.

Mods please close this thread down

drdre wrote:
    i just wanted to get it as a spare that if i got to uk i can use it etc

You don't need a UK license for "if you got to uk". Any EU license will do, be it an Irish one or a Latvian one for that matter
    drdre wrote:
    unkel.my dad still has both licences as he was never asked to give them back

So he still fraudulently holds both licenses. The authorities aren't aware of this or else they would have prosecuted him by now. Do you want that to happen?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭Santa Claus

drdre wrote:
    thanks guys for your help, but it looks harder than i thought.i just wanted to get it as a spare that if i got to uk i can use it etc.

Mods please close this thread down

OK, I'll say this slowly for the hard of understanding.....YOU ARE ONLY ALLOWED TO HOLD 1 EUROPEAN LICENCE...Otherwise devious people could use their UK licence in Ireland to avoid endorsements/penalty points and vice-versa.

I'll ask the question that I think is in the back of everyones mind after reading this thread Dre:
    How did the court case for dangerous driving go...it was October wasn't it ?

OK, I'll say this slowly for the hard of understanding.....YOU ARE ONLY ALLOWED TO HOLD 1 EUROPEAN LICENCE...Otherwise devious people could use their UK licence in Ireland to avoid endorsements/penalty points and vice-versa.

I'll ask the question that I think is in the back of everyones mind after reading this thread Dre:
    How did the court case for dangerous driving go...it was October wasn't it ?

i know that you cannot have 2 licences.so i have asked the mods to lock this thread.and for the court case its been appealed so i donot have to go back till next year.have no date yet.
    as i said in the post i donot want to answer this question as its off the topic

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭overdriver

Bit defensive isn't it? You may as well draw attention to the fact that's what you're at.

Anyway, it seems you have your answer, but I must say, how would the UK people know you had an Irish license if you went to the bother of doing it properly and getting some utility bills etc there? What happened to international licences? Do they still exist?

• Advertisement

overdriver wrote:
    Bit defensive isn't it? You may as well draw attention to the fact that's what you're at.

Anyway, it seems you have your answer, but I must say, how would the UK people know you had an Irish license if you went to the bother of doing it properly and getting some utility bills etc there? What happened to international licences? Do they still exist?
    i would see no problem if you do it properly and show the bills and say you have moved to uk there should be no problem but it would be loads of hassle.
    also i think theres still international driving licences available through the AA

drdre wrote:
    i know that you cannot have 2 licences

So will you please tell your dad to hand over one of his? I am a very patient man, but patience is running out...

i had a chat about this earlier and my fathers licence is up for renewal and he said if they make him a new style one then he is going to keep it and then if they ask for it back he will give it back.thats a good option as if they donot care they why should we.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭overdriver

Unkel, why do you care that his dad has two licenses?

drdre wrote:
    i would see no problem if you do it properly and show the bills and say you have moved to uk there should be no problem but it would be loads of hassle.
    also i think theres still international driving licences available through the AA

Lads, it obvious that Dre is not thinking of doing illegal as he wouldn't be stupid enough to publically advertise his intention to do something illegal...he'd do the research himself quietly as everyone here knows his real identity from the link in his sig.

@Dre, as for your dad...neither authority know he holds a 2nd licence so they won't ask him to surrender his licence, it's up to him to volunteer to give 1 of them up.
    Unkel is merely making the point that he is breaking the law by holding more than 1 licence.

Lads, it obvious that Dre is not thinking of doing illegal as he wouldn't be stupid enough to publically advertise his intention to do something illegal...he'd do the research himself quietly as everyone here knows his real identity from the link in his sig.

@Dre, as for your dad...neither authority know he holds a 2nd licence so they won't ask him to surrender his licence, it's up to him to volunteer to give 1 of them up.
    Unkel is merely making the point that he is breaking the law by holding more than 1 licence.
    i donot want to break the law, i just asked the question.thanks for your comments guys

• Registered Users Posts: 15,401 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

drdre wrote:
    i donot want to break the law, i just asked the question.thanks for your comments guys

Then dont try and get another EU drivers license in addition to the one you already have.

Just drive like most of us here and in three years you'll have no points again (legitimately)..what's so hard about that?

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭Gandhi

International drivers' licenses just provide a translation into a few dozen languages of the information that is on your official license. I don't think they carry much legal status on their own.

I doubt the authorities of any country would accept an international license unless accompanied with an official license.

Gandhi wrote:
    International drivers' licenses just provide a translation into a few dozen languages of the information that is on your official license. I don't think they carry much legal status on their own.

I doubt the authorities of any country would accept an international license unless accompanied with an official license.

Exactly, an international licence is just a companion to your existing licence and not a replacement !

drdre wrote:
    i donot want to break the law, i just asked the question.
    As I said dre, I know that you wouldn't break the law (well apart from fracturing the odd motoring law) and you certainly wouldn't be stupid enough to look for information on how to evade the law on a website !

• Advertisement

As I said dre, I know that you wouldn't break the law (well apart from fracturing the odd motoring law) and you certainly wouldn't be stupid enough to look for information on how to evade the law on a website !

i know i have broken the motoring law before but i think i have had enough and wouldnot do it again.theres always a part in the young life when something goes wrong and this was my part.so i donot think i will do it again.

Advertisement