Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Firerfox Popups

• 19-10-2006 4:30pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 598 ✭✭✭

I had the misopportunity of clicking on a link that led to an extremely dodgy website which I won't post here in case anyone would be silly enough to try it for themselves. I'm using Firefox and within 15 seconds my Pc was one of the most infected things i'd ever seen (I knew all this crap was coming in and ripped the ethernet cable out of the PC but it was to late). i thought Firefox prervented these sort of things?

Anyway, lots of scans later using spybot, AVG etc, it's almost clean. The only ones now are that Firefox keeps popping up pages i don't want. The most common one is for the drasted winantivirus pro thingy. I've manually removed files such as issearch.exe and ishost.exe (Deleted files, Directories and registry entries) Still i get popups. So does anyone know of any other files I should look out for or any other registry entries I should rermove?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

i thought Firefox prervented these sort of things?
    No, being careful prevents these sorts of things. IE, Firefox, Opera etc aren't going to make a blind bit of difference if the settings you have selected will let someone run something on your machine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

I use NoScript for a bit more control of the content when visiting anywhere really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

You don't seem to have your security software setup very well if this sort of thing is happening.

When was the last time you updated Spybot and did imunization and have you activated the shield etc..?

Download Windows defender from Ms.

Download Adaware (it might help).

Download Avast AV Personal edition (sometimes catches stuff AVG won't)

If you have good knowledge of Windows process/registry settings then you should also download Hijack This!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 598 ✭✭✭arseagon

brim4brim wrote:
    When was the last time you updated Spybot and did imunization and have you activated the shield etc..?

Last updated yesterday and fully immunised.
    brim4brim wrote:
    If you have good knowledge of Windows process/registry settings then you should also download Hijack This!

I combed through Hijackthis and couldn't find the last nasty piece of software running. Not to mind though I found it manually in the registry. It attached itself to the the explorer process which meant every time explorer.exe started, it did too. All clean again thank feck.

Advertisement