Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2mb with a good content ratio?

Options
  • 19-10-2006 4:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭

Well my 2mb eircom connection is utter sh1te atm in the evenings because of the 48:1 contention ratio. Any 2mb deal with a low ratio?

Shane

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

Well my 2mb eircom connection is utter sh1te atm in the evenings because of the 48:1 contention ratio. Any 2mb deal with a low ratio?

Shane

If you can get NTL it's 17:1

http://www.broadband.gov.ie/List+all++Services/Home.htm

Magnet's lower, but I don't know if they're widely available.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭Foxwood

Freddie59 wrote:
    Magnet's lower, but I don't know if they're widely available.
    Smart and Magnet are probably as widely available as NTL.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭hobie

Can you identify the actual Contention ratio at any specific time .....

I run a couple of speed tests now and then (tonight 872/106 on a 1MB service from Eircom) but I can't see anything that will indicate contention ration .... :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Blaster99

Smart or Magnet don't do anything differently than eircom. It's possible eircom has backhaul capacity problems in some exchanges but it's rare.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭Foxwood

hobie wrote:
    Can you identify the actual Contention ratio at any specific time .....

I run a couple of speed tests now and then (tonight 872/106 on a 1MB service from Eircom) but I can't see anything that will indicate contention ration .... :confused:
    No, you can't measure contention at the user end. If there was an FTP server in your exchange, and you coud download from it at 1Mbps, whereas a download from an FTP server in eircoms data centre only came in at 800kbps, that woud indicate a certain amount of contention on the link between your exchange and eircoms core network. If an FTP from heanet.ie ony came in at 600k, that woud indicate further contention on eircoms link to heanet, etc. But unless you have resources to measure the throughput rates to intermediate steps like this, it's not really possible to put a figure on contention issues, at least from the end-user POV.

• Advertisement
Advertisement