Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Replacing glazing putty

Options
  • 19-10-2006 5:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I've got some windows that need the galzing putty replaced. I'd rather not use linseed oil putty as it dries out so easily, and the windows get some pretty bad weather thrown at them. So, any suggestions for an alternative, or any methods for preserving the waterproofing qualities of linseed oil putty?

Ta.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Oh the dreaded putty...nothing has ever really replaced it as such....the method for wooden windows now is 1/4" or 1/2" slip or bead, mitred to each corner and nailed and/or siliconed home. If you intend to go this route then make sure the silicone sealant is applied in such a way that it doesn't allow rain or condensation to run down behind the slips where it will start to rot the untreated wood.
    Tedious if you have a lot of them to do.

Applying putty is hard to get right and really should be done at a time of year when the weather is in your favour for curing of the linseed oil (ie. not now).
    When it cures (3-4 weeks weather dependant), light sanding, undercoat and gloss (oil based) is the time honoured tradition and should last for a good while...maybe a re-paint after ~3 years with another coat of gloss.

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭Gyck

Sounds like I have a difficult choice to make so. I have some windows that run down to floor level and it's these that I'm concerned about. The putty has broken at floor level and is rotting the wood behind, mainly in the corners at the moment. It's not really bad but I don't want it to go any further.

What if I took the existing slips off, removed the putty (a total pain, I know) and replaced the slips with hardwood with a good bead of silicone behind? What about with also nailing them back with say copper pins?

Of course, this is (as you point out) not the best time of the year to try this...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Hardwood slips are the way to go IMO....try galvanise steel finish nails and punch them home so that there's a hole to fill, that should avoid any rusting problems.

Stripping putty is a tough job and in the cases where rot may be present, you could find you'll take wood off with the hardened putty.
    For rot problems ronseal or someone does a product for hardening rotted timber which you can then fill with something like isopon which will add some lifespan to the windows.

If it were me I'd mend what was in really bad shape now and leave the most of the job until next spring...

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭Gyck

Again, thanks for the advice. I'll probably end up leaving it for the winter, I could be waiting a long time for a run of good weather.

Advertisement