Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

My new house and the Internet

• 19-10-2006 5:54pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭

I am just after getting digiweb broadband into my student house at UL!!! Now what I want to do is get a wireless router so that I can split the connection between up to 4 laptops and so that the internet is available in the bedrooms, kitchen etc. Now the house isnt very big so I dont think Ill need a very powerfull wireless router to spread the Internet over the whole house. But I am fairly new to this whole wireless malarchy so Iv a couple of questions:

When I get the router does it replace the modem I got from digiweb or plug into it?

And most importantly have you any suggestions of a router that would be suitable I dont want to spend too much on it, just something cheap and chearfull (im guessing Komplett or Ebay would be the best place to go)

Any help you give will be greatly appreciated!!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭cooperguy

anybody have any other suggestions??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,998 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Tbh, I think PMT's thread is pretty clear on what you need. Does every laptop have a wireless card?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

krazy_8s wrote:
    Tbh, I think PMT's thread is pretty clear on what you need. Does every laptop have a wireless card?

I take offence at being called PMT........ :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭cooperguy

krazy_8s wrote:
    No i think 2 of the girls in the house will have to invest in a wireless card. Im guessing they will do fine with a cheap 'g' one off ebay

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,998 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

PogMoThoin wrote:
    I take offence at being called PMT........

Mood swings, random changes of conversation, I'm not surprized you are taking offence.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,432 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peteee

cooperguy wrote:
    When I get the router does it replace the modem I got from digiweb or plug into it?

Plug cable from Digiweb modem to wireless router.

Make sure you set up security on it, dont want anyone stealing off you!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭irlrobins

Moving to wireless forum

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭Foxwood

cooperguy wrote:
    I am just after getting digiweb broadband into my student house at UL!!!
    Digiweb supply Wireless broadband and they supply DSL. If you've got Digiweb Metro or Digiweb Wireless, no, you won't be replacing the equipment they supply.

If you've got Digiweb DSL you could replace the modem/roter that they supply - it'll ony cost you a few euro extra, but it'll be a neater setup (only one power supply) and at some point you might be able to offload the gear that you got from Digiweb (I don't know if it's yours, or they only let you borrow it).

Komplett has a bundle of a DSL Modem/router and USB wifi adapter at the moment for €98.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 CIG

You should not get a DSL modem as this type of modem is for use when you have your broadband through your phone line. what you are looking for is a Cable Wireless Modem. I know that PC World do a Belkin Wireless modes, that will connect to your modem supplied, it is approximetally €70.00 this will have 4 network points on it as well as the wireless. When setting it up. connect it following the instructions given in the box. when you are configuring the Security, do not use WEP Encryption as this will cause you no end of grief, use WPA excryption.
    CIG

• Advertisement
Advertisement