Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

change exchanges ?

Options
  • 19-10-2006 6:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,724 ✭✭✭

I just found out my neighbour can get broadband and i cant, seems we are both on the end of our respective exchanges, i think ( she has a diff first 3 numbers than me)and i know the next village over is enabled, ours is not, would it be possibe to get my line onto their exchange or a silly question, i would try anything at this stage.....:mad:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

Enter you number in the Smart line checker here, http://www.smarttelecom.ie/broadband.php, and it will tell you what exchange you're connected to. It is still possible you're connected to different exchanges but there are a few people in my area with different numbers but are connected to the same exchange.

In answer to your question, Eircom will say no but you may have better luck if you have a word with one of the local engineers. It may be the case that there is no more capacity in the exchange closest to you.

Another possibility is to get your neighbour to order BB and set up a wireless connection so you can use it aswell. Thats if you know them well and you're not too far away.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,724 ✭✭✭oleras

kaizersoze wrote:
    Enter you number in the Smart line checker here, http://www.smarttelecom.ie/broadband.php, and it will tell you what exchange you're connected to. It is still possible you're connected to different exchanges but there are a few people in my area with different numbers but are connected to the same exchange.

In answer to your question, Eircom will say no but you may have better luck if you have a word with one of the local engineers. It may be the case that there is no more capacity in the exchange closest to you.

Another possibility is to get your neighbour to order BB and set up a wireless connection so you can use it aswell. Thats if you know them well and you're not too far away.

It is 2 different exchanges..... as i guessed, and by neighbour, although the second house on my left, they are about 500 yards from me.....:D .....but, just read eircon are due to enable my exchange next year......so kinda good news, allbeit 4 years late !!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭Foxwood

oleras wrote:
    .....but, just read eircon are due to enable my exchange next year......so kinda good news, allbeit 4 years late !!
    It's only going to be good news if you're close enough to your exchange - if you're on the border between the coverage area of two exchanges, then you might be out of range of the one you're connected to.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,724 ✭✭✭oleras

Foxwood wrote:
    It's only going to be good news if you're close enough to your exchange - if you're on the border between the coverage area of two exchanges, then you might be out of range of the one you're connected to.

Physically, im about 1.5 miles from the "green box"

• Registered Users Posts: 994 ✭✭✭JNive

i wonder how many miles from the green box to the exchange. cause 1.5 miles to the multiplexer is pretty far overall.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

Aye. That green box is not the exchange oleras. You'll need to find out where the actual exchange is.

• Registered Users Posts: 994 ✭✭✭JNive

have an ole look at the OSI maps of your area and scout around for buildings marked as telephone exchange near you.

Advertisement