Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Prem football ex pub sat

Options
  • 19-10-2006 6:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6

I am a complete beginner when it comes to satellites. I have just left my pub and have taken my 80 cm dish and reciever with me. I bought it to recieve NOVA, however, i think it is very expensive now i want it for my house. How do i get ART and will i have to buy anything else apart from a ART card.

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 265 ✭✭Dec McC

does your reciever have viaccess?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 sintelins

sorry, like i said coplete beginner. Its a Kaonand i bought it last year. i am hopeless

• Registered Users Posts: 8,146 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

what reciever have you? nova uses irdeto afair.

Kaon, maybe I should have dug it out and got all the technical info before posting but i hoped it was just a matter of point and shoot.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

For free channels, yes. But if it takes a CAM (CI slot) then an Art card will work.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,115 ✭✭✭Pal

we need to know specifically what model you have.

at a glance it looks like you should be ok.

http://www.satalogue.com/section8/page1.htm

Thats the one, so would it just be a case of getting it set up and buy a ART card.
    Thank you for helping

point the dish at 13 east (Hotbird)

you need to add a cam and an ART card.

what is a cam, how much would one cost and do you recommend one

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

A module that looks like a PCMCIA/PCcard for a laptop. (Common Access Module). It has one or more decryprtion HW/SW in it (i.e. viacces, irdeto, seca etc).
    Then a credit card sized or SIM card sized card (the viewing card) is pushed into it. ISO 7816 interface I think.

A Sky viewing card uses an NDS videoguard CAM "embedded" into the Sky Digibox, that is there is no separate physical CAM at all. Just the ISO7816 card reader. Viaccess is often embedded too.

Some embedded CAMs (neotion) can do more than one encryption.

Some CAMs are not approved by the Pay TV provider. Only 100% operation is ensured by using the pay TV provider recommended CAM. Thus without knowing which provider(s) you are subscribing to I can't recommend a CAM. The recommendation of the PayTV provider is the only safe advice. Some 3rd party CAMs have had "features" which months or even weeks after use "killed" the legitimate viewing card. Illegal/Pirate viewing cards/cams can in some cases be more expensive than a real subscription due to costs of frequent upgrades, replacements and programming hardware.

Viewing encrypted channels requires a Pay TV subscription/ legitimate viewing card that only works for the intended channels/package. Other methods are illegal in EU.

• Advertisement

sintelins wrote:
    what is a cam, how much would one cost and do you recommend one

Shop around.
    do a google or ebay.
    U should get one under €50

Matrix cam will work fine.
    So will Dragon and many others.

However some others will not.
    Make sure you buy a cam compatible with 'Viaccess'.

Thanks everyone for their advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭Frisian

@sintelins
    I got a spare viaccess cam (red) here. New. If interested pm me.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

Make sure to keep that trading to the PM, or if you're interested in selling, check out www.adverts.ie ;)

Advertisement