Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

beardie not eating

Options
  • 19-10-2006 6:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 169 ✭✭

got amadeus at long last he was ok when i got him home he ate a few crickets and seemed to be fine this was on monday i tried to feed him on tues but he was havin none of it and he has not eaten since he wont touch vegies either he did his first poo today it was very big and very smelly any ideas im not too worried yet but if he dose not eat tomorrow ill get worried any help would put my mind at ease

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Tony dont worry about it at all.Mine didnt feed for over a week or more when I first got him home.
    Stress probably.
    Theres afew things you can try.

1.Increase the temps slightly to stimulate feeding.

2.Try locusts--Beardies love them and thats all mine would eat in the beginning.

3.The veggies--Forget about them for a few months.It can take months for a beardie to start eating veg.Most of them are solely carnivorous for the best part of a year.But keep fresh veggies in there every day though.

As for the poo--Get used to it :)
    Sounds like a typical beardie poo to me.Huge,green and smelly.

Dont worry Id say give him a few days "without handling" to settle in.

Richie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 169 ✭✭tonym

good news amadeus is now eating all around him just one question richie how many crickets should i feed him a day he is eating all the greens as well can he eat too much? another thing am i just seeing things or has he grown since i got him he is the best pet i have ever got so cool

• Registered Users Posts: 18,601 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Sorry for my lack of education, but what is a beardie?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭tallus

It's a Bearded Dragon kippy. AKA Pogona Vitticeps :)
    http://images.google.ie/images?q=bearded+dragon&hl=en&btnG=Search+Images

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

tonym wrote:
    good news amadeus is now eating all around him just one question richie how many crickets should i feed him a day he is eating all the greens as well can he eat too much? another thing am i just seeing things or has he grown since i got him he is the best pet i have ever got so cool

What I do is leave veggies in there everyday and feed crix every second day.
    As for the amount--Mine is 2 years old now and goes through 3 boxes of large crix a week.
    Gets expensive now in the winter that I cant order my bulk from the UK.

Really need to find a way to get a colony of feeders going.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭tickledpinkfair

hey

we have our beardie now since August he was only a few months old when we got him, with regards his food the guy we got him from was really informative according to him (and he has 2 beardies that are 4 n 5 yrs old) 70% of the beardies diet should be veg, try him with all fruit n veg (they like variety), very little if any, cucumber though as its too much water based.

We were told to feed him crickets every second day, he gets about 6 /7 every second day but this is more since he's gotten bigger, when we first got him he'd only eat 4 /5 .

dont forget to sprinkle your vitamin powder on his veg everyday it helps keep them strong, also a heated rock helps with digestion.

We were also told by the guy in the pet shop that sand in their tank can be very dangerous, because when they chase the crickets to eat little particles of sand get swallowed over time this sands get built up in their stomachs and can kill them, he recomended feeding outside the tank if you have sand in the tank.

hope this info helps, we're learning as we go as well :o)

hey

also a heated rock helps with digestion.

In my opinion a heat rock should never be used with any reptile.
    They have a habit of over heating and can seriously burn any animal that sits on them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 169 ✭✭tonym

ok guys and girls thanks a mill all this is great one more question hehehe can anyone give me a good recipe for a good salad for a beardie

Tony go into Tescos and buy the prepacked syuff.

Theres 2 I use--One is "Lambs lettuce" and the other is a mixed "Italian salad"
    Roughly 1 euro per bag and the 2 bags will last a week.

Just make sure that there no spinach and no iceberg lettuce in either of the salads(Theres usually a picture of the different salads used on the back of the bag and you can just pick the iceberg and spinach out)

Another tip for you if you have any fields near you get picking some Dandelions--Beardies love them and they are one of the most nutritious foods for them.Just wash them well before you feed.

Blackberries are also a great source of food if you have any growing near you.

For fruits I use diced apples once a week or so,a pot of fresh raspberries once in a blue moon(you`ll have a red beardie after he eats them so get ready with the bath)

Richie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Mine get a smaller version of our iggie diet - grated parsnip, courgette & sometimes carrot, salad leaves no iceburg tho but we do give limited amounts of spinage, wild rocket, watercress, sugar snap peas, fruits other veggies like pak choi, aspargus, pepers etc etc etc.

I also would NEVER EVER use a heat rock! I dont really like heat mats I prefer to use ceramic bulbs - place a rock under neath the bulb for a good basking spot.

Keep hatchling beardies on paper - dont bother with sand as they can get clogged up! Sprinkle calcium every feed whilst young.

• Advertisement
Advertisement