Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coke Debate

Options
  • 19-10-2006 7:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,755 ✭✭✭

Strangely enough for us guys, the L&H have decided to be topical :p and are holding a debate on the Coke Ban for next Wednesday's house debate. I thought you guys might be interested to know!

Those interested in speaking might also PM me..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭Blush_01

I guess that gives everyone an opportunity to battle it out face to face. I'm not giving up my Maiden's rights just yet!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

fight the struggle against the ill-treatment of workers by removing the freedom to buy coke.

truely sticking up for all UCD students...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭pretty*monster

fight the struggle against the ill-treatment of workers by removing the freedom to buy coke.

No, no, no, no, that's not the issue at all. Never has your freedom or any student's freedom to buy coke been under threat.

The Student's Union (i.e. each and every member) own the Student's Union shops. Now, if I owned a shop, I don't think anyone could tell me that I *had* to sell coke even if I had an ethical problem with it. Of course since lots and lots of people own the SU shops the only way for those who had a really big problem with the fact that they had a stake in shops that were selling a product they disagreed with was to take it to a vote. The vote passed. Thus the owners of the shop (or them that's fecked to vote) decided what to sell in their own shops.

Now, if you want to argue about wheather that's ok be my guest, but this isn't about some big bad lefty, drunk of his own self importance, is stomping round the playground snatching cans of coke out of the hands of poor little apple cheeked children. It's about people deciding what they want to sell, not buy, because if you want to buy coke, be my guest, there's pleanty of outlets on campus.

*edited to say that this is nothing personal against projectmayhem, his argument is an argument I see against the boycott over and over again and it annoys me*

• Registered Users Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭Blush_01

Um, there's a thread on the Coke debate floating around somewhere. Can ^ be kept for the debate? I'm sure they'd love a few opposition speakers. /me smiles sweetly in anticipation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 888 ✭✭✭themole

Blush_01 wrote:
    Um, there's a thread on the Coke debate floating around somewhere..
    Here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,755 ✭✭✭elmyra

This is on tomorrow night folks..technically tonight actually. Th Q, 7 pm with a good bunch of speakers lined up. Try to make it along, :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭AngelofFire

I`ll be speaking at it folks looking forward to seeing you all there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,437 ✭✭✭tintinr35

guys coke is a class A and its right that it should be banned, dont want to end up picking bits of your nose off the floor now do ya?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 888 ✭✭✭themole

elmyra wrote:
    This is on tomorrow night folks..technically tonight actually. Th Q, 7 pm with a good bunch of speakers lined up. Try to make it along, :)

Looking at the posters there are two speakers. One from the union in columbia (can't remember exactly who) and the second is a lawyer (some irish lawyer???).

Is that all the speakers? Or did the poster not mention them all?

There seems to be a distinct lack of any coca cola representation. Were they invited to speak?

In my opinion, any debate which does not have both sides represented is not really representative of anything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

I loved the way there were pandas on the posters!Was that done for me?:)

Pandas were from the kitkat ad though it was polar bears in the coke adverts. Beieve me,i know my pandas!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭generalmiaow

panda100 wrote:
    I loved the way there were pandas on the posters!Was that done for me?:)

Pandas were from the kitkat ad though it was polar bears in the coke adverts. Beieve me,i know my pandas!

I was SO confused by the pandas.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭pretty*monster

I think the debate gave me an ulcer, is there anyone I can sue.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,755 ✭✭✭elmyra

themole wrote:
    Looking at the posters there are two speakers. One from the union in columbia (can't remember exactly who) and the second is a lawyer (some irish lawyer???).

Is that all the speakers? Or did the poster not mention them all?

There seems to be a distinct lack of any coca cola representation. Were they invited to speak?

In my opinion, any debate which does not have both sides represented is not really representative of anything.

The two on the poster were our guest speakers. Ciaran Lawlor spoke against the ban and Cian O'Callaghan for the ban. Yes Coke were invited and no they didn't come. Take from that what you will. Luckily, those of us who work hard every week putting on house debates also believe that both sides always need to be represented and as such always look for guests for both sides.

Also, thank you to the guys from the SU who volunteered to speak! It was a very very narrow defeat of the motion!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭boneless

'Shinners', sorry I couldn't go on the night... had to finish a project thingy... what was the wording of the motion?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 801 ✭✭✭Vainglory

That this house would overturn the SU boycott of Coca-Cola.

Carried 27-26.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,885 ✭✭✭Stabshauptmann

I left just before the vote and I would keep it. Pissed myself laughing when enda asked what side of the motion he was on

Advertisement