Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Roaming...travelling to the US

• 19-10-2006 8:46pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,788 ✭✭✭

Going to america next week for 2 weeks and would like to have my phone for the odd text home.

Thing is, im on meteor pay as you go and the whole rigmarole you have to go through with them is far too much of a hassle. First you need a credit card and then pay 60euro up front...no thanks meteor!!

What would be the best solution? I've had it suggested to me that I buy a cheap phone over there and use that, is that possible?

Any ideas? Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,244 ✭✭✭drdre

i was going to ask the same question, im going to us for 4-5 days next week and im o2 bill pay, just want to find out what are the roaming charges and text rates.

thanks and sorry to post it on this thread but i didnot want to start another one as this will help the both of us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Prepaid phones won't do you a whole lot of good in the US, wouldn't be worth it imo. Get a calling card if you need to call home or something, far cheaper.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 70 ✭✭ryker

if you go to comreg site it wiill give a list of mobile phone operators in us and how much it will cost to make and recieve calls.when you get there just lock onto your prefered operator

ryker wrote:
    if you go to comreg site it wiill give a list of mobile phone operators in us and how much it will cost to make and recieve calls.when you get there just lock onto your prefered operator

thanks i will check that out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,788 ✭✭✭Vikings

Dre, I was in New York in March while on o2 bill pay and paid 25c per text message I think...calls werent too expensive either, though I used mine like never before and ended up with a 300 euro bill :s

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 847 ✭✭✭mickger

I got a USA simcard from here http://fonepool.com/ussimpack.htm the last 2 times i was in the states and found it very handy. There very good to deal with too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,513 ✭✭✭digitaldr

Went on a 5 week trip driving across America over the summer. Texts on 02 bill phone were 30 cent - a few a day and your bill soon mounts. Mainly used call cards and payphone/motel phones - seriously cheap!

Dre, I was in New York in March while on o2 bill pay and paid 25c per text message I think...calls werent too expensive either, though I used mine like never before and ended up with a 300 euro bill :s

that seems alright, i wonot be using it much anyway but its just in case.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Urban Weigl

O2 pre-pay is 59c a minute over there, I think texts are around 30 cents (not sure exactly). You can pick up an O2 pre-pay SIM for about 15 euros. Make sure to have at least a tri-band phone to roam on T-Mobile over there, a quad-band phone to roam with Cingular.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭mobileplaza

hey guys im headin over to new york in a couple of weeks. just to clarify on the last post. will o2 pre paid work in the states??

also off-topic iv herd you can use your laser card over there??? im sure if you handed your card to a cashier they wouldnt have a clue what it is?? anybody used laser over there?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭D8 boy

mobileplaza

yes, O2 prepaid will work in the States (on Cingular only) - check out
    http://www.o2online.ie/wps/wcm/connect/O2/Home/Personal/Services/Travelling+Abroad/Tariff+Information/United+States/speakeasy

As a previous poster pointed out you will need a tri/quad band phone to use any of the networks in the US - again O2.ie should be able to tell you if your phone is OK if you have lost the manual.

Regarding using Laser cards, Laser is an Irish brand so you will get blank looks anywhere else if you ask. However as far as I know all Laser cards are also Maestro cards. If your card has the Maestro logo then it can be used for purchases abroad. When I've used my card elsewhere in Europe I've been asked for a PIN, not a signature, I couldn't get cashback and was charged for transactions outside the Eurozone, though these details may vary from bank to bank. Be warned that Maestro is better known in Europe than the US so I would not depend on being able to use it there in shops: bring a credit card too!

If your Laser card has a Cirrus or Plus logo then it'll work fine in ATMs abroad, including the US.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭mobileplaza

D8 boy wrote:
    mobileplaza

yes, O2 prepaid will work in the States (on Cingular only) - check out
    http://www.o2online.ie/wps/wcm/connect/O2/Home/Personal/Services/Travelling+Abroad/Tariff+Information/United+States/speakeasy

As a previous poster pointed out you will need a tri/quad band phone to use any of the networks in the US - again O2.ie should be able to tell you if your phone is OK if you have lost the manual.

Regarding using Laser cards, Laser is an Irish brand so you will get blank looks anywhere else if you ask. However as far as I know all Laser cards are also Maestro cards. If your card has the Maestro logo then it can be used for purchases abroad. When I've used my card elsewhere in Europe I've been asked for a PIN, not a signature, I couldn't get cashback and was charged for transactions outside the Eurozone, though these details may vary from bank to bank. Be warned that Maestro is better known in Europe than the US so I would not depend on being able to use it there in shops: bring a credit card too!

If your Laser card has a Cirrus or Plus logo then it'll work fine in ATMs abroad, including the US.

excellent. thanks for your help ;)

Advertisement