Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What Does it take????

• 19-10-2006 9:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭

People, I would like to know what is required to get broadband in an area? I live out in the sticks of Co. Limerick and there is no word for it out here yet. Now I hear that you can do a petition for names, but how many would you wreckon would be need for Eircom to take interest? Plus, bring from the sticks and about 4miles from the exchange, will it be like still having dial up if it were to get out to here?
    Also, is it true that ALL exchanges have been upgraded and its just a matter for them to turn it on r something???
    Many thanks in advance,
    Kevin

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭Foxwood

kryan1 wrote:
    Now I hear that you can do a petition for names, but how many would you wreckon would be need for Eircom to take interest?
    10 or 15 thousand maybe.

eircom don't do petitions. If they think that enabling an exchange will make them money, they'll enable it. If it won't, they won't. They already know what percentage of the population are likely to sign up - petitions won't change their minds.

Some wireless operators might be swayed by a declaration of interest, but none of them are sitting on their hands waiting for business at the moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

Foxy is right. No ammount of petitions will change their mind. They used to have a trigger program but it was a joke.
    Also, is it true that ALL exchanges have been upgraded and its just a matter for them to turn it on r something???
    No thats not true.
    What exchange are you connected to? They announced the next phase of upgrades today and there is a few in Limerick, so you could be lucky.

Rathkeale
    Patrickswell
    Pallaskenry
    Cratloe
    Cappamore
    Glin

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭kryan1

kaizersoze wrote:
    They announced the next phase of upgrades today and there is a few in Limerick, so you could be lucky.

Rathkeale
    Patrickswell
    Pallaskenry
    Cratloe
    Cappamore
    Glin
    Sadly, no. My exhchange is a place call Knocklong. Where do u get that info. Would it be any use in trying to contact then and see what time line they are talking about before that exchange will be enabled?
    thanks for your responces...
    kevin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭Drapper

you may need to consider going wireless out there!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

kryan1 wrote:
    Sadly, no. My exhchange is a place call Knocklong. Where do u get that info. Would it be any use in trying to contact then and see what time line they are talking about before that exchange will be enabled?
    thanks for your responces...
    kevin
    Where do you get what info? The list of exchanges? Here: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=52226517&postcount=8
    Not much point in ringing. All you'll get is "We're upgrading all the time...check again in a few weeks...blah, blah.
    Basically they announced 100 exchanges yesterday and thats it. They'll be doing no more unless the Gov cough up and pay for the rest (approx 500).

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

The 100 they announced yesterday were utterly uneconomic only a year ago , the other ( unanounced batch of ) 100 they started early this year were uneconomic 2 years ago etc etc

At the rate they have enabled exchanges and started new upgrade programs since 2004 every exchange will be done by end 2009 anyway . Each uneconomic exchange as of today today becomes more economic as the one near it is done and then the one the far side of it etc etc.

They want the government to stump up €50m for the 500 exchanges not done or being done , all that will do is finish them a year earlier , end 2008.

They could easily roll out their 3.5ghz wimax in Knocklong as well as/instead of DSL .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 337 ✭✭blue banana

Get JP Mc Manus to move nearer to you. Apparently that did the trick in enabling Kilmallock!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,187 ✭✭✭deadl0ck

Hav you checked the options on the Gov website here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,902 ✭✭✭Joeface

I assume at this stage it takes an act of god.

Im in pallasgreen and the exchange is enabled for broadband and am well with in range of it can still cant get BB cause of poor line quality, I then tried westnet.ie for there wireless serives and unfortuantly I can get it from them either as my Line of sight is crap.

depending on what ur willing to live with Sat BB may be available to u but , u may as well have dial up....cause lookin at the install prices of sat broadband are mental , €1300+ i think not.

i am going to try plan B now which is annoy the hell out of eircom untill the fix my line.

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭kryan1

Get JP Mc Manus to move nearer to you. Apparently that did the trick in enabling Kilmallock!!!!

U say that, i can see his new house from my house.... i wonder if i just run a line over to him, sure he wouldn't mind anyway... line of sight, i am 3miles from him.... so close, but yet so far....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 337 ✭✭blue banana

Yeah, he's normally pretty amenable, I'm sure he wouldn't mind :D

Advertisement