Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

which car?!

Options
  • 19-10-2006 10:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 699 ✭✭✭

hey dudes...

i'm in the market for a new car (after sellin the one I have) but I want to do as much research as possible before goin to see prospective cars. Its all very well seein a car or a make that you like and wanting to get one but I want to know the full benefits and what the petrol/diesel usage would be etc etc...

currently an Audi A4 is top of my list, then maybe a VW Bora/Golf...

got any advice or 'steer clear's???
    anythin appreciated thanx :D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 tart

Hello, becarefull of VW they have be known to have lots of electrical problems, Jap cars most of time great.

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Big Tone

Click on the link below for some helpful info.

I would tend to "steer" (pun intended) clear of FIAT (Fix It Again Tomorrow...and believe me you will!!) and VW Polo if you dont want your heart broken every day of your life.

When you say a new car, do you mean a brand new 06 model or are you trading up to a better car?

In my case I'm in the market to trade up so I'm looking at a few cars now like the Hyundai Sonata (lousy re-sale but a great bargain if you buy second-hand), the Audi A4 (like yourself), BMW 320 and the VW Passat 1.9 TDi.

http://www.whatcar.co.uk/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,951 ✭✭✭L5

tart wrote:
    becarefull of VW they have be known to have lots of electrical problems

Are you basing that on facts, or have you pulled that statement from your ass as I suspect?.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭want2play

Big Tone wrote:

I would tend to "steer" (pun intended) clear of FIAT (Fix It Again Tomorrow...and believe me you will!!) and VW Polo if you dont want your heart broken every day of your life.

When you say a new car, do you mean a brand new 06 model or are you trading up to a better car?

In my case I'm in the market to trade up so I'm looking at a few cars now like the Hyundai Sonata (lousy re-sale but a great bargain if you buy second-hand), the Audi A4 (like yourself), BMW 320 and the VW Passat 1.9 TDi.

The fiat thing dosent really apply now, of course you get bad ones like any marque, i've had 3 Italian cars and have generally had less trouble and way better handling than my mates with astras and polo's (as you said) etc.

Not that Fiat have anything in the range to compete with the Audi A4 anyway.

I have an Alfa 156 Sportivo now and its way more reliable than my last 2 cars ( Peugeot 306 GTI & VW Golf) and I trash it to be honest....

• Advertisement

want2play wrote:
    Big Tone wrote:

Think its an upgrade.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭layke

Honda/Toyota/Mitsubishi/.

Personally I prefere Jap cars I believe them to be the best built in the world for the money you pay.

Reliability + power + economy = a Jap. Now don't confuse this with a Japanese Import I mean a japanese car built in Europe.

The only problem is that your insurance would be slightly higher pending on the car brand you choose but well worth it especially if your a girl. The Japs only really just entered the Dielsel market lately so you may have to go with a newish car.

Audi is a lovely car and I think you will like it.

Having said that I have a pet hate for

Fiats
    Citrons
    Renault

The below cars I personally wouldn't go for but I have a respect for them as they are known for reliability.

Skoda
    Volkswagon (Dispite the above comments from what I see they are fine).
    BMW
    Audi

• Closed Accounts Posts: 699 ✭✭✭aoife2k

personally, i wouldn't go near a Fiat even if it was offered to me. I'm a girl but i don't like 'girly' cars, VW Polo and little cars like that are definately a no no. I've got my heart set on an Audi A4 but it's raising the cash is the problem. I'm fussy so it's gotta have the tinted windows, the kit and the alloys etc etc...

When i said new car i meant upgradin from my own but not an '06... If VW's are supposed to be so bad, aren't VW and Audi from the same company or maker or somethin?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭junkyard

Audis are what VW should be, VW have cut quality dramatically since the mid-nineties. They might look O.K. but I can assure you all is not what it seems. They have a very loyal following, just like Alfa Romeo, who will fight their cause to the bitter end. Personally I'd buy a BMW over an Audi but Audi aren't the worst of them. Stay well clear of VW unless you want to spend a lot of money on stupid problems related to dodgy engines, gearboxes, electrics and iffy build quality. Another good car you should consider is Honda, nothing ever goes wrong with them, probably the best Japanese car on the market. And before anyone tells me I'm talking through my @r*e about VW be prepared for facts and figures, I used to supply them as fleet cars and I have a file a foot thick relating to breakdowns and warranties.:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

I'll second Junkyard on the VW warranty woes. (always come back with stupid expensive stuff that shouldn't be happening to a car sold on quality)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭TomMc

The German manufacturers "Talk the Talk" but it's the Japanese ones who "Walk the Walk".

People need to be able to discern between The Peception of Quality, and Quality itself.

Have a look in a Jap Engine Bay compared to a German one and see how methodically everything is laid out. You can gain access to most parts fairly easily in the former, compared to more sealed up units in the latter. This complicates matters greatly when things do go wrong, and really escalates servicing / repair costs.

I have run several Mitsubishi's, Honda's & Subaru's which required nothing more than routine maintenance. On the other hand a very large percentage of the German manufacturers profits, are been eaten up by warranty claims. This is especially true of Mercedes. But then again, most premium marques like Mercedes, BMW & Audi are now mass produced today, relative to the numbers manufactured (per year) in the past. A modern Jaguar is a much more pleasant ownership experience/prospect.

But if you want a premium/luxury/reliable motor ... Lexus is the way to go.

Advertisement