Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

I have a virus I can't get rid of

• 19-10-2006 10:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 659 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I have a virus, I think my brother or a mate, or possibly me got it by accident while looking at *cough* art sites. It more than likely was my brother because he's done it before while looking at *cough* art. He downloads codecs with Trojans on them regardless just so he can view vids etc....

Anyway, a quick summary of what seems to be the problem:
    1. I get a constant pop-up in my task tray 'System Alert: Malware threats'
    2. Every few minutes I get a pop-up sending me to a site to remove the virus that has infected my system
    3. I also get pop-ups for these adult friend finder 'meet me in Dublin' websites
    4. My Iexplorer default homepage has been hijacked and replaced with http://isafetypage.com/

Now, I have Zone Alarm and i keep it updated regularly so I did a spyware and virus check with it. It found 35 critical infections in my temporary internet files folder but it then said it couldn't treat them :confused: I even tried to delete all files in the temp folder but no luck there either

I looked the virus JS.NUVENS up on the net and can't find much regarding it.

I still can't get rid of this and it's driving me nuts.

Attached is a screenshot of 1.my ZoneALarms findings 2. That annoying pop-up site 3.the annoying warning bubble

Any help greatly appreciated

Ps HELP!:(

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,698 Mod ✭✭✭✭Silverfish

I had a similar problem with a computer before ( not mine!!). AVG home cleared it up, nothing else seemed to work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Try scanning in safe mode, use Ewido Security Suite or Adaware to scan for that along with your anti-virus scanner. I use Anti-Vir.

• Registered Users Posts: 659 ✭✭✭Chunks

Silverfish wrote:
    I had a similar problem with a computer before ( not mine!!). AVG home cleared it up, nothing else seemed to work.

AVG you say, right, im currently installing a trial version and i'll see if that fella works.

Fingers crossed :o

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

Another program to try if you know (and I mean know) what your doing is Hijack this!

Also try getting Windows defender, Spybot and adaware (whichever you don't have). I've also found Avast to be an excellent free AV.

I used to use AVG, there is a personal edition of that too (hidden on the site somewhere).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 ouldscratch

If you still can't get rid of it like I coulndnt then save all your important file onto disk and reformat the hard drive. Use this only as a last resort as it can be a bit tedious.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭shockwave

I would also recommend you get windows defender,it detected a virus on my laptop that Norton totally missed.Its free to download from the Microsoft website.

• Registered Users Posts: 659 ✭✭✭Chunks

I finally got rid of it lads, I got the most up to date version of AVG and had to wait til an update came out for it but then it cleared it right up for me. :p

Thanks for all the help :D

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,141 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Another thing to check if it happens again, make sure to temporarily disable system restore, and delete its restore points. These can also become infected and aren't usually scanned by antivirus sw.

Advertisement