Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

IwW statement on 'SOS' departure

• 19-10-2006 11:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 398 ✭✭

IrishWhipWrestling.com feels that it has a duty to respond to reports that 'SOS' Sheamus O'Shaunessy has left IwW.

We can now confirm that Irish Whip Wrestling and 'SOS' Sheamus O'Shaunessy have in fact parted ways.

IwW have tried every option possible to work with Sheamus and his publicist over the last several months, but after Sheamus lost the IwW Heavyweight Title on August 27th of this year, matters deteriorated. Sheamus failed to appear on several events that he was advertised for. Irish Whip Wrestling, at the request of Sheamus, could only deal with his publicist on these matters.

We apologise to any Irish Whip Wrestling fans who may be disappointed by this news, but assure them that IwW did their best to ensure that Sheamus would continue as part of a team of wrestlers.

"This publicist has proved a major roadblock in the relationship between Sheamus O'Shaunessy and Irish Whip Wrestling," said one spokesperson. "We are extremely embarrassed that he is feeding national newspapers misinformation such as that he is still IwW International Heavyweight Champion - despite losing the belt two months ago.

"We also apologise to anyone who may have heard the rumour that IwW was stopping Sheamus from working independent dates. This is completely untrue as IwW has always been more than supportive of its talent working for other promotions in Ireland, England, Scotland, Wales and the USA."

"We feel that it is a shame that this publicist has stepped in after all IwW has done for the career of Sheamus. We have given him two previous WWE tryouts and the exposure IwW have given him has seen his name grow to such an extent that he has wrestled for various independent promotions and have appeared on national TV numerous times. One would find it doubtful that such a publicist would even have shown an interest in Sheamus had he not received the exposure he did in Irish Whip Wrestling. We have stood by Sheamus through times when people were very critical of his performances and we always looked out for his best interests."

"At Irish Whip Wrestling, we prefer to deal with people who don't use their publicists as middlemen and attempt to disrupt television tapings in the name of favourable usage. To be honest, this wasn't helped by such stunts as threatening to pull out of shows unless he was given a title match as a worthwhile compromise."

When asked if Sheamus' departure would be a blow for IwW, the spokesperson added: "No. Sheamus was a big name of IwW past, without a doubt. But moving forward we will continue to grow, as we have each year since our inception. IwW have reliable commodities such as Mad Man Manson, Vic Viper, Drew Galloway, Bingo Ballance, Ballymun Bruiser, Red Vinny and Bam Katrazz. "

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,638 ✭✭✭bombidol

Has to be digs taken doesnt there?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭Ph3n0m

and just to be fair, here is the entire post from SOS on his website
    Hey Guys,

I’m not here to drop a bombshell but I know that different people involved in IwW will react differently to this post. I want to be up-front and let you all know that although my heart will always remain IwW I no longer consider myself to be truly part of the Irish Whip Roster as I am working more frequently in other promotions.

Going forward SOS will be a freeagent hopefully working in as many big promotions and big shows in Ireland & the UK as possible but not tied to any. I truly believe this to be the way forward.

I don’t want to say goodbye but rather au revoir to Irish Whip and I hope to work with IWW again in the future - I’m taking myself off line-up with nothing but fond memories and respect for all people involved who work so so hard to put on fantastic shows each week.

I also want to note that holding the IWW belt, not once but twice, has been the highlight of my career in the ring thus far…

If you want to get in touch you can get me via my website www.sosoffical.com or my MySpace account www.myspace.com/sosofficial - DON’T BE A STRANGER!

See ya on the other side, Sheamus

Strange how he says he hopes to work with IWW again, admits he lost the belt and for them to put out a press release like that (wonder if I am going to get accused of IWW bashing now).

I therefore have to ask - is IWW/SOS playing everyone or is this indeed a parting of the ways.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 205 ✭✭Larry David

Seems like SOS is being amicable and professional about the split, but IWW are being childish with their petty digs. What a pathetic statement form IWW - my opinion of them just dropped to CPW level.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 459 ✭✭b0bsquish

have IWW seen a different press release than the rest of us?
    When asked if Sheamus' departure would be a blow for IwW, the spokesperson added: "No. Sheamus was a big name of IwW past, without a doubt. But moving forward we will continue to grow, as we have each year since our inception. "
    yeah your not gonna miss a two time champ with the talent of sos :rolleyes:

Well lets ask the question then - are IWW being dicks about SOS? I have to say I see nothing but professionalism and a great fondness of where he came from, in respect to SOS' post. And some serious pettiness coming from IWW about this.

That said, I wonder what he is going to think when he sees that press release

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 459 ✭✭b0bsquish

I wouldnt be waiting for him to make a return to iww anytime soon thats for sure, bad move by iww imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

I'm sorry, but please point out where exactly is the pettiness and unprofessionalism is here? It's very easy to put out a professional sounding press release, but it doesn't neccessarily make you a pro.

Again I'm not here to comment on the actual claims made by the press release, but if they ARE true then 'SOS' seems to be the unprofessional one here, not IwW.

Maybe SOS WANTED to look professional because he was worried that IwW would reveal the truth, did that ever cross anyone's minds here?

That's like me spitting on your mother, raping her and killing her, then going up at her funeral and saying that she's a nice woman. Does that make me the good guy in this scenario?

Apparently, according to the general consensus on boards.ie, yes.

leggo wrote:
    Again I'm not here to comment on the actual claims made by the press release, but if they ARE true then 'SOS' seems to be the unprofessional one here, not IwW.

Maybe SOS WANTED to look professional because he was worried that IwW would reveal the truth, did that ever cross anyone's minds here?

If that is the case - why would IWW want to potentially ruin the repuation of their once biggest star?

Maybe there is a lot more going on with both parties, that any of us will ever know. But as I thought initially - most people will react towards IWW statement with the view of them being "petty over the loss of their biggest star"

The main problem I have is that a lot of what is in the IWW press release is basically unheard of before now. What rumours? What national newspapers have been printing misinformation? If that was the case why didnt IWW sue for libel? Or simply fire SOS.

And leggo as for your scenario about the raping, etc - that was completely uncessary and no, it wouldnt make you a good guy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭J.R.HARTLEY

leggo wrote:
    I'm sorry, but please point out where exactly is the pettiness and unprofessionalism is here? It's very easy to put out a professional sounding press release, but it doesn't neccessarily make you a pro.

leggo all wrestling promotions are businesses and businesses that want to be taken seriously don't air their dirty laundry in public, i'm sure a lot of people let go by wwe(and i have little respect for titans brand) have done things as bad as SOS allegedly did, but wwe simply release a statement saying they have parted ways and wish so and so every success in the future, they can then leak the reasons to the internet through unofficial avenues, but the official business maintains it's reputation, whereas IWW looks like it's being dragged into a potential scrap which will damage its image outside to the wrestling world, potential investors etc. Business-wise it was a bad move.

leggo all wrestling promotions are businesses and businesses that want to be taken seriously don't air their dirty laundry in public, i'm sure a lot of people let go by wwe(and i have little respect for titans brand) have done things as bad as SOS allegedly did, but wwe simply release a statement saying they have parted ways and wish so and so every success in the future, they can then leak the reasons to the internet through unofficial avenues, but the official business maintains it's reputation, whereas IWW looks like it's being dragged into a potential scrap which will damage its image outside to the wrestling world, potential investors etc. Business-wise it was a bad move.

exactly - well phrased

• Advertisement

Why would IwW want to potentially ruin the reputation of their once biggest star?

Perhaps because they wish to disassociate themselves from his unprofessionalism should it resurface elsewhere? Perhaps because they know that fans may ask questions about why SOS isn't appearing on anymore IwW shows (though none have asked in fairness) and they wanted to answer these before they came up?

Again that's just two possible theories for why the press release was published, but I don't run IwW so I can't give you a definite answer.

I put it to you though Ph3n0m, on absolutely tons of occassions various websites and press releases have been released taking shots at IwW - why are people taking such an issue when IwW simply give their fans their side of the story? I didn't see any direct shots in the press release, nobody called Seamus an 'asshole' or anything of the sort, it's simply IwW recounting their version of events.

There have been plenty of times that IwW have kept quiet while people have chipped away at THEIR reputation (this whole sequence of events included) and they have stayed quiet. Don't tell me that you aren't familiar with at least several of these instances. It really begs the question, why are you and others so critical of this particular turn of events? Why are people, only NOW, so determined to uphold the principles of professionalism when they were oh so willing to let them slide beforehand?

leggo - one of the mods has just confirmed that you are "IWW NEWS", as your IP is an exact match - so quit the bullsh*t, and stop being such a shill.

PWNED! :rolleyes:

That's even more pathetic than the press release.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭irishhack

Hey guys, i work in a sunday newspaper and here's the press release that was sent to all media organisations by SOS & Co regarding him losing the title belt on 28.08.09.
    27.08.06 - SOS Cheated out of Title Belt... FREE TO PRESS: Irish Wrestler Sheamus O'Shaunessy's (aka The Irish Curse) year long reign as Heavyweight Champion came to and end last night when he was cheated out of the Irish Whip Wrestling (IWW) title when Scottish grappler Drew Galloway illegally smashed him in the face with the belt whilst the referee was knocked down. SOS already had Drew pinned for a three count after unleashing his devastating Firey Red Hand (FRH) finishing move but his two allies (Stu Sanders from the UK and Piere Marceaux from France) helped him kick out before the ref got the final count on the canvas. SOS has vowed to get revenge when they meet again in the Forum Waterford on September the 9th, Balbriggan, Co. Dublin - 27.08.06.

i think IWW just made a HUGE mistake, i have no respect for that behaviour

leggo wrote:
    I put it to you though Ph3n0m, on absolutely tons of occassions various websites and press releases have been released taking shots at IwW - why are people taking such an issue when IwW simply give their fans their side of the story? I didn't see any direct shots in the press release, nobody called Seamus an 'asshole' or anything of the sort, it's simply IwW recounting their version of events.

Hold on, no one here said IWW was name calling anyone.

You were one of many who wanted open and frank discussion about IWW - and yet you dont seem to like it when wrestling fans are openly critical or even make public their own thoughts on IWW and/or its wrestlers

I would dearly love to see the proof of what you are talking about

1) various websites and press releases have been released taking shots at IwW
    2) What rumours? What national newspapers have been printing misinformation? If that was the case why didnt IWW sue for libel?

And again I ask - why didnt they simply fire SOS?

I would also ask
    There have been plenty of times that IwW have kept quiet while people have chipped away at THEIR reputation (this whole sequence of events included) and they have stayed quiet. Don't tell me that you aren't familiar with at least several of these instances. It really begs the question, why are you and others so critical of this particular turn of events? Why are people, only NOW, so determined to uphold the principles of professionalism when they were oh so willing to let them slide beforehand?

Show me the occular proof!

I might also add this is never about IWW or bashing it - this would the same as any federation that has public interest - be it NWA, UCW, WWE or TNA. When two conflicting press releases are given - people ask question, criticise either side and generally have a discussion about it. Its never anything personal, maybe you should realise that.

irishhack wrote:
    Hey guys, i work in a sunday newspaper and here's the press release that was sent to all media organisations by SOS & Co regarding him losing the title belt on 28.08.09.

i think IWW just made a HUGE mistake, i have no respect for that behaviour
    I agree with that. The SOS press releases and statements have come accross as kayfabed and respectful to all parties.

But then IWW posts a load of pathetic digs at SOS and his alleged publicist, and then the IWW News guy logs back in under a different name to defend it! lol
    I wouldnt be surpried if SOS got tired of this unprofessional bullsh*t and just left. After all - he did make his statement a few days before IWW, and then IWW made a vermin-like retaliation trying to sully his name. So considering the timescale of these statements, it looks like SOS left, and IWW didn't like it.

1) Me being IwW News: I am simply one of the guys who posts up press releases. For all those asking for proof of my facts, please prove to me that I wrote said PR. As for me posting as leggo, I've never denied that I was a part of IwW, I post as leggo because it's LEGGO'S opinion, not IwW's.

2) Why didn't IwW fire SOS? SOS no-showed shows he had previously been booked and advertised for, he wasn't wrestling on shows, how would IwW go about 'firing' him? Send him an email an go 'you're fired' to make it official? He, like all IwW wrestlers, are independents and work on a show-by-show basis. He wasn't contracted and couldn't be 'fired' from anything.

3) IrishHack, apologies but I find it suspicious when some guy opens an account then in his first post runs down a promotion. Again just because you SAY you work in the newspaper industry doesn't neccessarily make it so. You could easily be the aforementioned publicist or a friend of his and posted that at his request. What about the recent publication of SOS as Irish Heavyweight Champion in a national Sunday newspaper?

4) I shall be reporting the moderators of this forum immediately for giving my IP details away to a random poster.

leggo wrote:
    2) Why didn't IwW fire SOS? SOS no-showed shows he had previously been booked and advertised for, he wasn't wrestling on shows, how would IwW go about 'firing' him? Send him an email an go 'you're fired' to make it official? He, like all IwW wrestlers, are independents and work on a show-by-show basis. He wasn't contracted and couldn't be 'fired' from anything.

But they could have ended their dealings with him instead of letting him carry on like that
    3) IrishHack, apologies but I find it suspicious when some guy opens an account then in his first post runs down a promotion. Again just because you SAY you work in the newspaper industry doesn't neccessarily make it so. You could easily be the aforementioned publicist or a friend of his and posted that at his request. What about the recent publication of SOS as Irish Heavyweight Champion in a national Sunday newspaper?

I take it you mean
    08.10.06 - The Sunday World, Pg 30 by Eugene Masterson
    Irish Whip Man... Wrestler Sheamus O'Shaunessy is the first Irishman to be allowed fight in the famous WWE. And the 26-year-old from Cabra, Dublin, is so dedicated to his sport, he`s still single. Burly Sheamus is also the Irish Whip Wrestling Champion...

Again how do you know for a fact that SOS knew before hand they were going to calling the Irish Whip Wrestling Champion? Therefore that can be considered bad journalism, not SOS' fault. But then again (keeping a balanced view) it could have been down to SOS - who knows except SOS and the journalist.

4) I shall be reporting the moderators of this forum immediately for giving my IP details away to a random poster.

I would be very carefuly who you tar with that brush. You will need proof of what took place - all you got was the bloody generic text of "one of the mods"

Therefore before anyone gets in strop - Larry David you will pm me which Mod gave you that ip. Failing that I will be reporting people to the owners of boards.ie for mis-use of information.

me again lads, don't want to go on and on about press releases but here's one that was sent out to the irish media that i think iww are bitching about.
    18.10.06 - Sheamus O'Shaunessy Turns Freelance Wrestler...
    FREE TO PRESS: Two Time Irish Heavyweight Wrestling Champ Sheamus O’Shaunessy announced today that he has gone freelance on the grappling scene in Ireland and the UK in order to get as much ring-time in ahead of his WWE RAW & Smackdown shows in Manchester’s MEN arena on the 13th & 14th of November. SOS is now a regular with All Star Wrestling in the UK but has yet to decide whether to leave-the-door-open for a return to Irish Whip Wrestling which has seen the migration of some of its top Wrestlers in recent months to other promotions, Dublin, Ireland – 18.10.06.

sounds like iww are in a lot of trouble and trying to save face

I am closing this until this IP issue is resolved.

Will reopen when its resolved.

thread reopened.

Larry David, in accordance to my pm - please ensure your next post clears up this IP situation

• Advertisement

i knew about that article in the sunday world that's why i registered here to show the press releases we received. i believe that last part of the article was a mistake not supposed to be taking a stab at the iww guys. if you go to that page on the sos site: http://www.sosofficial.com/news.shtml

you will see that sos says at the top of the page:
    Both Newspapers and Websites have helped spread the word that SOS means business, and although the facts haven't always bang-on, I appreciate the exposure!

there's your answer and on behalf of irish hacks i apologise!

It is interesting how this Irishhack guy has ready access to all SOS press releases and is so quick to defend Seamus. One would find it interesting if Irishhack was, in fact, said publicist. Of course I have no proof of this so it's by no means an allegation, but it is interesting nonetheless.

Thus far in this topic, though, we HAVE established for a fact:

1) That Seamus has not turned up to shows that he has been advertised for.

2) That this publicist has sent on misleading press releases that have led respected journalists to misinform readers that Seamus is still, in fact, IwW Champion.

3) That in some of said press releases the aforementioned publicist has criticsed Irish Whip Wrestling, such as when he claimed that the roster has seen a 'migration' of talent leave. I would assume that he, the same person who requested that Seamus be removed from IrishWhipWrestling.com, did not ask IwW for permission to use their name in the above context.

Therefore the allegations made in the press release seem pretty watertight. Now that we've established that, can we please discuss the actual subject matter instead of seemingly criticising IwW for criticism's sake?

Leggo, i work at the publication that made the blub that is why i wanted to set things right, our bad, sorry!

and it's already been established that you are the dude that posted that foolish ill advised statement here so ur the shill. this is getting boring so can the mods please close this thread before boards.ie get into hot water as the iww site has been pulled over these remarks today already check it out: www.irishwhipwrestling.com

i'm out seeya

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,638 ✭✭✭bombidol

The moderators of the Pro Wrestling Forum and Boards.ie in no way condone the actions of members of this board and will not be held liable for comments posted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,049 ✭✭✭Cloud

leggo - one of the mods has just confirmed that you are "IWW NEWS", as your IP is an exact match - so quit the bullsh*t, and stop being such a shill.

PWNED! :rolleyes:

That's even more pathetic than the press release.

Maybe you could PM me your source. Regular mods aren't allowed to view IP addresses.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement