Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Robotic Lawnmower Advice wanted.

Options
  • 20-10-2006 12:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭

I am strongly thinking of buying either a MowBot or a RoboMower robotic lawnmower. I have about 1500 sqft of grass, which is not a lot I know, but my wife has a muscle condition and I am severely allergic to cut grass. So cutting the grass is a real chore.

I would love to hear from anyone who has any knowledge of either the MowBot which comes from the UK or the RoboMower which hails from the US.

Cheers.:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭MarVeL

I've been looking over them myself (no illness just lazy and a slightly large garden 400sqm) and the RoboMower looks the most interesting to me. They have an irish provider but I haven't managed to touch base with him as yet unfortuantely. Heres their details

Max Leisure Ltd.
    Address: Little Road,
    Dromiskin,
    Co. Louth
    Phone: +353 86 807 6477
    Phone2: +353 86 170 3709
    Fax: +353 42 932 1871

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭Ballyman

You can get on of them on eBay for approx. €1000

Looks like a fascinating piece of kit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Eurorunner

There has been a previous boards thread on this subject with input from the distributor ...must have been at least a year ago?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,683 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

2004 thread here

• Registered Users Posts: 1,244 ✭✭✭Qwerty?

***Mods - could you move this to Gardening Thanks***

I thought rather than starting a new thread, I'd resurrect this one.

I currently looking into buying a lawnmower. Garden is approx 1.3 acres of lawn.

I saw these Mowbots at a show last year and was wondering has anyone got one recently, as they have come on a long way in the last 2 or 3 years, and are they happy with it.

I've been doing a bit of research and am quite impressed by them. Before anyone accuses me of been lazy:P, I'm not considering it out of laziness more because of the advantages below:
    • Cuts even when the lawn is wet as it's only cutting a tiny bit.
    • Should save me min 2-3 hours work per week (giving me time to do all the other gardening tasks with a garden this size)
    • Feeds the lawn as it cuts. (soil is not the best)
    • Lawn is quite wet, I would imagine a large rideon churning up the grass.
    • The L300 BL2 is coming in less than the price of a rideon.
    • Lawn will always look cut.

Anyone with experience/advice I'd appreciate it.

Thanks
    Q.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,683 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

Moving to the gardening forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭jprboy

I'm also looking into getting one of these.

Have a lawn approx 1/2 acre in size and, like one of the previous posters, it's not laziness but time constraints which would be the main reason to get one......... and, I must admit, they're very cool !!

Anyone got one and care to share their experience?

I'm going to start contacting suppliers (home & abroad) next week and will post updates after that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,244 ✭✭✭Qwerty?

jprboy wrote: »
    Anyone got one and care to share their experience?

I'm going to start contacting suppliers (home & abroad) next week and will post updates after that.

Any decisions on the mower Jpr?

My only reservations are:-
    • will it be able to cut a lawn my size (1.5acres) properly, and
    • if the kids leave something on the lawn (and they do) and the mower goes over it, it would wreck the blade.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

robotic mower??

i taught having a ride on was lazy enough, but this is taking the p*ss big time

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭glennb

an easier and cheaper solution would be to get a self drivien lawnmower the 1 with the bar u pull n it goes by its self and then put a stick in the center of the garden and tie a rope round the self drive bar and the stick n it will cut the grass i think it was on an add a few years back

• Advertisement

fryup wrote: »
    robotic mower??

i taught having a ride on was lazy enough, but this is taking the p*ss big time

fryup, unless you have something constructive to add, please refrain from posting in this thread please.

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭ayapatrick

Qwerty? wrote: »
    Any decisions on the mower Jpr?

My only reservations are:-
    • will it be able to cut a lawn my size (1.5acres) properly, and
    • if the kids leave something on the lawn (and they do) and the mower goes over it, it would wreck the blade.
    i seen one going once and hopefully you have patience! pretty slow! and i dont think it done a great job cutting either, its path was erratic to say the least!

Advertisement