Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help, fiance's parents coming to town-where to go?

Options
  • 20-10-2006 12:49am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭

Hi,

I am a student from the US going to UCD and my fiance's parents are coming to Dublin for a day (next Tuesday) during their European travels. I've just been here three weeks and being sick two of them has made getting around difficult.

His parents are very well traveled (in Europe at least three times a year) and like to avoid very touristy things, though when it comes to seeing things of historical importance they will grin and bare the tourist lines. In other words I would call then "travelers" instead of "tourists."

I am spending between 9 am and 1:30 pm with them because I have class that after noon. They want to walk around the city to where ever I want to take them, and then some place for lunch. I'd liek to make it memorable.

I would like to walk in the courtyard of Trinity and see the Book of Kells. However, I'm not sure of where to go from there. What other suggestions do you have for walking around Dublin? I want to capture the city as much as possible in 3 hours. What do you think?

Places of historical significance, beauty, interest, and restaurant suggestions for really good Irish food (cost not important) are very much appreciated!

What epitomizes Dublin to you?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,033 ✭✭✭Snowbie

Kilmainham jail.Its not the nicest of venues but has a lot of Irish history originating from there.Mick Collins era,16 rising etc.Thats where i took my Australian cousin and her BF last year as well as the Guinesses tour.They enjoyed the Guiness more but was impressed overall.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭postgrad

I am thinking about the goal. How long would you say it takes to see it properly?

Also, on the lunch/restaurant side of things. I was just looking at a few possibilities on Dublinks.com.

What do you think of the following for lunch:

The Tea Room
    Clarendon (read that it's a nice pub atmosphere with a good menu)
    Jacob's Ladder
    Acoca Cafe

Where is the best place for lamb stew other traditional dishes would you say?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭lightening

You might have to venture in to Temple Bar for some of that cuisine. I have tried it out, there is a place to the left of Elephant and Castle, its not bad at all, I was pleasantly surprised, lots of stews, bacon and mash, seafood platters.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 5,555 ✭✭✭tSubh Dearg

Christchurch Cathedral is good to visit and not too far a walk from Trinity. Food wise the Boxty House in Temple Bar is fine and does all the traditional dishes but is a little touristy in my opinion. I'll try and have a think about where would be good to eat. I know the Tea Room in the Clarence Hotel (which you mentioned) is an excellent restaurant and so is the Avoca Cafe.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭lightening

Boxty House in Temple Bar

That's the one! Nice onn tSubh. The food isn't bad at all, none of this "lets fleece the tourist" that you get in more rural parts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭wyndham

How old are they?

Have you thought about the hopon-hopoff tour? Will see everything of interest in 1hr and 10mins and can get off wherever you want. 21 stops. e14pp. The drivers provide an excellent commentary. May be a bit lowbrow though?

What about the Viking Splash Tour? lol

They are around fifty...so could do the tour...but they would rather see the city on foot...they have specified they would like to "walk" Dublin.

Other suggestions?

wow, that's a great looking tour. That the guides are post-graduate history majors is great.

However, they don't do guided tours as there are too many jokes about being in Rome and laughing at the old ladies who try to find their tour flag colour amidst a sea of other old ones trying to find their flag...and shouting "where's my flag!? Have you seen my flag?!" --It had me on the ground.

I know this tour isn't like this, but it's the connotations that come along with the phrase "guided tour" that warries these travellers.

Any places kind of off the beaten path in D2 or D1 where some interested history occurred, but it's not much publicized (ie surrounded by tourists) or a picturesque area to walk through?

I'm probably asking too much!

Hmm...maybe the Dublin Writer's Museum? Is it Chapter One Restaurant that's right beside it? Is that a good place to have lunch?

Thanks again!

Chapter One is very nice for lunch. Very pricey tho, so make sure 'pop' picks up the tab.;)

Garden of Remembrance, James Joyce Centre, Writers Museum are easily hit in that area also.

• Advertisement
Advertisement