Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Honda Civics and theft.

Options
  • 20-10-2006 2:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭

If I get a honda Civic of a certain age will it have auto theft features
    that are impossible to get through?

Ive heard they are great cars but everyone wants to rob them.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,064 ✭✭✭Gurgle

worded wrote:
    will it have auto theft features
    It will actually steal itself if left unattended for 25 minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭jayok

I think you mean "anti-theft".

Upto 1996 the Honda Civic had no immobilser fitted as standard and poor security systems and could be robbed with a spoon. Given that genre Civic's revvy nature and handling experience they were high on the list (if not top) of stolen cars.

However, since 1996 and introduction of the 6th gen Civic the European models Civic have had factory immobilers fitted (not sure about Jap imports, don't think they did) and these were quite good. However, for a while it didn't stop scumbags trying to rob them. So while your car wasn't robbed it was trashed in the attempt. Wannabe thieves are going for softer targets now (i.e. older Civics, etc).

The 2001-2005 model started to introduce a factory alarm and immobilser. Towards the end of life of this model they were even Thatchcam (sp?) grade. The 2006+ models are well equipped from a security perspective.

For "casual" thieves most will now bypass a newer Civic as they are plenty of soft targets out there. For more determined thieves, they will simply rob the keys of the car (from your home) and use these to bypass security features.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

96 onwards euro/irl/uk models have factory immobiliser, and are virtually impossible to rob without the key.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭5500

As above,transponder immobilisor from the key to ECU in civics from 96 onwards,the only person who would attempt hot wiring it is an 11 year old with no clue what there doing!

None of the import hondas came with immobilisors regardless of year,i dont think ive even ever seen an imported honda come in with an alarm on it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭layke

When you get your car spend €1000 on an alarm from the website below.

http://www.clifford.com/uk/default.asp

After that good luck to any theif. Mine requests a code after I start the engine, if you don't punch it in after the 30 secons engine cutts and you can forget about starting it again until that code goes in.

Clifford make the best alarms afaik.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

€1000 on an alarm for a Civic is overkill. Unless maybe the car is gold plated.

The factory system is good enough...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭layke

Suppose, this isn't the car modding forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭worded

Thanks to everyone for that info.

Myself and the lass have Honda motor bike and we never had any problems
    with them

- apart from a scum bag who pulled the spark plugs out and kicked her bike over near Grafton st last week during the day! We didn’t see it happen unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭CyberGhost

lol OMG I was just coming in here to make a topic about this....

I just(literally) chased off a guy trying to steal my 2dr honda civic '93 lol. I didn't run after him for long but I sure cussed my heart out at him during that period.

Stupid gits never steal a computer technician's car, most of us don't drink and we stay up very late lol.

But it's very true Hondas are very popular among scum. My friend had one and somebody tried to steal that too.

Advertisement