Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Google Earth in the North West

Options
  • 20-10-2006 5:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭

Just to let people know that parts of Sligo, North Leitrim and North Roscommon have recently been photographed properly on Google Earth. Heretofore only a bit of West Cavan and Central Fermanagh were mapped properly in the region. It includes Sligo town (City:rolleyes: ), Dromaheir, Riverstown, Boyle, Ballyfarnon, Keadue, Rosses Point, Collooney and Ballysadare.
    If you haven't tried Google Earth, I recommend taking a look at it. The program is a free download, but you must be online to view it. The entire earth photographed from space, to some degree of clarity (look for darker rectangles). It's truly fascinating, and I've wasted many hours playing with it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭Carrickman

il gatto wrote:
    It's truly fascinating, and I've wasted many hours playing with it.
    Same here great yoke, great pictures of US cities the "ground zero" shot really shows how big the site where the towers were really was.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭gustavo

How different would it look to Google Maps?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,640 ✭✭✭Gillie

Delighted! Off to Download it

Amazing! I can see my house! Finally.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭YeatsCounty

gustavo wrote:
    The Google Maps images actually look clearer than their Google Earth counterparts IMO.

(Yes, I know that it's the same image used for both programs.)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭il gatto

They're a little clearer alright, but I think the usability of Google Earth makes it much better.

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭bettlebrox

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭JIZZLORD

i succeded in making my parents paranoid when i showed them our house

• Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭trilo

Just had a look at Sligo, unfortunately at the moment it is a bit too cloudly, so can't really see much.

• Registered Users Posts: 46,094 ✭✭✭✭muffler

trilo wrote:
    Just had a look at Sligo, unfortunately at the moment it is a bit too cloudly, so can't really see much.
    Not as bad as the clump of cloud covering a large wallop of Donegal

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,797 ✭✭✭Paddy20

muffler wrote:
    Not as bad as the clump of cloud covering a large wallop of Donegal

Are the Twin-Towns clearly visible on this Google Earth, which I have been told used to be a U.S. spy satellite ?...

P. :cool:

Paddy20 wrote:
    Are the Twin-Towns clearly visible on this Google Earth
    Sadly no

• Registered Users Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭mackerski

gustavo wrote:

Google Earth is a 3D environment where you can choose your viewpoint freely. So it resembles Google Maps really closely until you discover the tilt option - afterwards the comparison doesn't really arise.

Dermot

I just found the Tilt option. It really does give a different perspective.

See the 2 images (if they attached). 1st is looking North from near Lough Eske towards the Gap. The other is the regular view.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,797 ✭✭✭Paddy20

bettlebrox wrote:
    I just found the Tilt option. It really does give a different perspective.

See the 2 images (if they attached). 1st is looking North from near Lough Eske towards the Gap. The other is the regular view.

Thanks beetlebrox,

However they are still 'out of focus' and totally unsatisfactory. Still what else can we expect from Yanks ?..

Paddy20 wrote:
    Thanks beetlebrox,
    Your welcome Paddy.
    Paddy20 wrote:
    However they are still 'out of focus' and totally unsatisfactory. Still what else can we expect from Yanks ?..

Hard to tell if your joking or serious.

But, they do have a few high quality sections in Ireland. One being right on the border around Pettigo (which they labeled as Kesh :rolleyes: ) . Plus, getting imagery of this quality must be expensive, they are Yanks, and a lot of the US isn't of the best quality.

It's a work in progress. They're starting with the more densely populated areas and a few random ones (where their great grandaddy came from?:confused: ). Dublin, Cork, Belfast, Galway and Limerick have been done in detail for ages. Sligo has very recently been done. The most glaring omission is Derry. In the next year or so, I think we can expect all of Ireland to be done properly (a la Germany). There are still huge parts of Britain, France, Italy, Spain and even the U.S. still not done properly. I believe Google buy the images as they become available from satellite imaging companies. I suppose they need to be looking at the area for some reason, and if the weather is very clear, with the exception of the odd cloud, they photo it and offer the image to Google.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,404 ✭✭✭Goodluck2me

one of the best things you can see on google maps is Area 52. its a place that wasnt suppposed to exist untill a few geeks in america found it! major controversy about it in america.

Don't you mean Area 51?

Gillie wrote:
    Don't you mean Area 51?

No. I'll bet it's somewhere so secret, no one has ever heard of it. So secret, even the aliens couldn't find it.:D

• Advertisement

one of the best things you can see on google maps is Area 52. its a place that wasnt suppposed to exist untill a few geeks in america found it! major controversy about it in america.

To be fair. Everyone knew it existed and there is photo's of it before now.
    The USAF say its merely an Airforce base but skeptics question why they have a Runway that is over 4km in length.
    They wonder what kind of aircraft requires such a huge runway.

Keep watching the Skies!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭Fracture

I had a look for area51 in it before but all ya can see is a cloud/desert, they obviously wont show that on google earth, like imagine the tilt option work there, you could basically see everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

I thought the title of this thread was Google in the North West and in my ignorance assumed this to be the North West of Ireland.:rolleyes:

smashey wrote:
    I thought the title of this thread was Google in the North West and in my ignorance assumed this to be the North West of Ireland.:rolleyes:
    You are indeed correct sir. You are ignorent :D

Hadn't much interest in this thread as such but smashey is right --- stay on topic lads. There is a google earth forum for the likes of the comments posted above

Advertisement