Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend best core2duo+SLI mobo for oc'ing

Options
  • 20-10-2006 8:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,630 ✭✭✭

Im looking to get a decent mobo for a 6600 cpu, has to be SLI though and not crossfire, also i'l probably be puting it on phase cooling.

So what do you recommend at the moment, also what memory?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Sli only with hacked drivers m8. These are older drivers which are modded & may not be as good as newer drivers. Personally I'd go with the Asus P5w dh, good clocking mobo, loads of extra features like wifi. Another choice is the Abit Awd pro, good oc'er. You could wait for the Dfi rd600, out next month, but it hasn't been tested properly yet. Your choice.

Wanna buy a Dfi Infinity 975x? :p

On the memory front, I'd try to find Team xtreem 6400, clocks to over 100mhz, tight timings (3-3-3-8 @ 800mhz), and a very good price. 2nd choice would be GSkill 6400 hz. Have a look at CPC mag, good guide to ram in it this month.
    Good luck
    Pog

• Registered Users Posts: 6,630 ✭✭✭gline

PogMoThoin wrote:
    Wanna buy a Dfi Infinity 975x? :p

hmm will i be able to do sli properly on it?? ;) if so then yeh il buy

does it oc well???

Pm me with details as i dont want to discuss a sale in this thread, thanks

anyone anyother recommendations?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭awhir

sorry pog but gline would reccomend ya going for the asus boards.or w8 for the new dfi board.

• Advertisement

Deal is done

awhir wrote:
    sorry pog but gline would reccomend ya going for the asus boards.or w8 for the new dfi board.

which asus board are you talking about, also are the nForce590 SLI chipset boards any good? i was looking at the Asus P5N32-SLi Premium WiFi, any good?

All xfire conroe mobo's are limited by the chipset. 965 mobo's have a newer chipset which is why they clock higher than 975. 975 is an older chipset, developed for pentium 4 dual core, not conroe.

As regards that Asus P5N32-SLi, it has an older chipset also. It tops out at a miserable 320fsb.

what are the new chipsets coming out?

New dfi rd600 has the new Ati chipset, out in few weeks.
    Info here; http://www.pcmoddingmy.com/news.php?extend.1904

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=116504&highlight=rd600

Happy Games will be reviewing it soon on Dfi-street, He usually gives his honest opinion (even tho he's a Dfi employee) & is more in2 stability than suicide shots. There is a rule that all submissions in OCDB on Dfi-street must have an 8 hrs orthos & 3dmark 2001 run screenie

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

hmm...saw a mobo a while back with 4x PCI-e ports..i'll see if i can find it again

well i ordered the memory anyway - 2nd one down on this page

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/acatalog/Corsair_XMS2_Memory.html

the Corsair 2GB DDR2 XMS2 Dominator PC2-8500C5 TwinX (2x1GB)

Hope its good

and i ordered an e6600 core 2 duo, so now just for the mobo, just waiting on pog to get his new one

• Registered Users Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Lol, I suppose its not a good time to say that I ordered the Abit Aw9 Max too. Got me some Gskill and a e6600 too. :)

krazy_8s wrote:
    Lol, I suppose its not a good time to say that I ordered the Abit Aw9 Max too. Got me some Gskill and a e6600 too. :)

im not into abits at all, had bad experiences with them.
    to run 2x 7950 gx2's do you need a mobo with 2x x16 pci-e slots??

gline wrote:
    to run 2x 7950 gx2's do you need a mobo with 2x x16 pci-e slots??

:rolleyes: No, but there have been probs running them on some mobo's

PogMoThoin wrote:
    :rolleyes: No, but there have been probs running them on some mobo's

like what type of "problems" ? hehe

Not runnin at all, compatibility issues. Some of the 965 mobo's.
    Saw sum1 on Dfi-street with it runnin with Dfi Infinity tho.

I would have thought that pci*4 would be bandwidth limited against a full *16 lane slot for those cards.

yeh i thought i would be limited too

whats a decent psu to run a monster rig these days?

600watts.

• Advertisement

krazy_8s wrote:
    600watts.

yeh i gathered that, il probbaly even go for more than 600watt

600W plus, especially if ya oc'in wit gx2

went for the 700watt ocz.. this one...
    http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.asp?sku=324467

Should be ok, also i ordered 1x 7950 gx2, cant wait to get the conroe on vapochill :D

gline wrote:
    went for the 700watt ocz.. this one...
    http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.asp?sku=324467

Should be ok, also i ordered 1x 7950 gx2, cant wait to get the conroe on vapochill :D

OCZ are a bit noisy, my 600w is.

PogMoThoin wrote:
    OCZ are a bit noisy, my 600w is.

yeh i had the 600watt one aswell, awell this rig isnt exactly going to be quiet anyway :)

when are all the new chipsets coming out, id like one that supports the new 8800gtx's in sli

anyone got any links, cant really find much myself

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭You Suck!

anyone got any links, cant really find much myself

Same here, Kinda worrying for a kit thats meant to be on sale within the week. And even after that, will still have to wait for tests to see if it's not just a crappy rehash of the 580i....

Sucks as I was hopin to buy this month.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

im holding out for the dfi r600. There is a big buzz about it, And dfi are very well know for overclockable boards.

Atm poggy has a new abit, but has hit a brick wall at 370fsb. @ 49c.

Might be something simple, but We shall see. Im also holding out for the g80. Was gonna spend big money on a 7950gx2, But if i can spend 100£ more and get a better card i will.

anti wrote:
    im holding out for the dfi r600. There is a big buzz about it, And dfi are very well know for overclockable boards.

Atm poggy has a new abit, but has hit a brick wall at 370fsb. @ 49c.

Might be something simple, but We shall see. Im also holding out for the g80. Was gonna spend big money on a 7950gx2, But if i can spend 100£ more and get a better card i will.

doesnt seem to be a release date for the new dfi, not listed on their site as far as i can see, id like to get 2x g80's aswell, thats why id like to get a new mobo that supports this proposed new method of sli

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭Flaccus

7950gx2's in quad sli is load of **** crap. I know from experience. DX9 only supports 2 gpu's so 2 go to waste and with the huge cpu overhead getting all 4 to talk to each other basiscally slows everything down i.e. 1 gx2 runs faster then 2. Benches all over the web have shown it. ONLY advantage is at stupid resolutions - 2560x1600 with a Dell 30" screen and huge amounts of AA. With the right game that supports quad and with the latest nvidia drivers, 1 GX2 will handle the AA. So you end up playing at around 40fps if you are lucky. Quad is a total waste in my book. Crossfire outperforms it anyway. And the G80 matches or beats Crossfire from early benches shown.

Also - best board for SLI with Intel cpu's (out soon) will no doubt be one of the 680i chipset based boards being launched on the 8th. EVGA should have one out.

Advertisement