Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend best core2duo+SLI mobo for oc'ing

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,630 ✭✭✭gline

Flaccus wrote:
    7950gx2's in quad sli is load of **** crap. I know from experience. DX9 only supports 2 gpu's so 2 go to waste and with the huge cpu overhead getting all 4 to talk to each other basiscally slows everything down i.e. 1 gx2 runs faster then 2. Benches all over the web have shown it. ONLY advantage is at stupid resolutions - 2560x1600 with a Dell 30" screen and huge amounts of AA. With the right game that supports quad and with the latest nvidia drivers, 1 GX2 will handle the AA. So you end up playing at around 40fps if you are lucky. Quad is a total waste in my book. Crossfire outperforms it anyway. And the G80 matches or beats Crossfire from early benches shown.

Also - best board for SLI with Intel cpu's (out soon) will no doubt be one of the 680i chipset based boards being launched on the 8th. EVGA should have one out.

but they may be longer waits for all these parts, as usual

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

The toms hardware interactive vga charts contridict you completly flaccus. So do quite a few other big sites. Dunno where you looked tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭Flaccus

I had a quad sli setup and it was slower then single sli (1 GX2) at resolutions below 2560x1600 regardless of what driver I tried so I don't give a f*ck what the review sites say. Plenty of sites anyway which back me up but couldn't be bothered to look them up. Needless to say it's common knowledge that under 2560x1600 quad is a waste.

One site that springs to mind is xbit labs who tested quad again in Sept. with more mature drivers which came out after I got rid of my setup. They found Xfire to be faster in more tests then quad. Even in extreme conditions the ATI solution came out ahead.
    http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/video/display/quad-sli-two_25.html

"Our tests have shown that the GeForce 7950 quad-SLI system is hardly worth its cost. It’s only in a few applications that we’ve observed a considerable performance boost in the standard modes (1280x1024, 1600x1200 and 1920x1200 resolutions with 4x FSAA and 16x AF), namely in F.E.A.R., Prey, Titan Quest, and 3DMark06. This is only four applications out of twenty! A minor increase of speed was observed in five more games: Far Cry, Quake 4, Serious Sam 2, Tomb Raider: Legend and X3: Reunion. Quad-SLI technology looks even worse than that if you compare it with the Radeon X1950 XTX CrossFire tandem which improves performance in 13 tests out of 20 and only refused to work in Hitman: Blood Money and Tomb Raider: Legend."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

anti wrote:
    im holding out for the dfi r600. There is a big buzz about it, And dfi are very well know for overclockable boards.

Atm poggy has a new abit, but has hit a brick wall at 370fsb. @ 49c.

Might be something simple, but We shall see. Im also holding out for the g80. Was gonna spend big money on a 7950gx2, But if i can spend 100£ more and get a better card i will.

Got 400fsb (3.6Ghz) now :p

Advertisement