Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Adios Halo-movie...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

They should get Uwe Boll on board... he could do it for a fraction of the cost with his magic German loopholes.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,409 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Couldn't really give a toss.

Commence Halo-fanboy bubble bursting: Halo had a crap story anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

Retr0gamer wrote:
    Couldn't really give a toss.

Commence Halo-fanboy bubble bursting: Halo had a crap story anyway.

Oh you've done it now. They'll be out in droves with 1-post-accounts telling you "But halos has greats storeiiiiess!! omfg!!111". You might need to hire a bodyguard too.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,409 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

They will tell me its because I haven't read the books. Maybe I should. It could explain why the monster from 'The Little Shop of Horrors' was in the second game. I was so disappointed with the ending of Halo 2 because the monster never got to sing.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,455 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Retr0gamer wrote:
    They will tell me its because I haven't read the books. Maybe I should. It could explain why the monster from 'The Little Shop of Horrors' was in the second game. I was so disappointed with the ending of Halo 2 because the monster never got to sing.

You use the word ending a little strongly there. Just as the big finale battle is about to kick off and restore my faith in the most repetitive franchise on the planet, the game ends. I probably threw my controller somewhere in anger.

• Advertisement

I've copy and pasted this from the bungie website. It's a transcript of the story board brain storming meeting bungie had for Halo 2*:
    Teammember 1: So we brought the franchise to a battle on Earth at E3. Do you think this is a good move?

Temmember 2: Nope. That would make it too interesting. Lets make it so there is another Halo. F*ck it, lets make it lots of Halos!

Teammember 1: I see where you are going. We can make a game where only a third of the levels are interesting and the rest are cut and paste samey corridors. Can we 'revisit' the levels again later in the game except backwards. It worked with Ridge Racers mirror mode.

Teammember 2: I doubt they will let us away with that one again.

Teammember 1: Alright. Can the secretary please record in the minutes that backtracking to be replaced by samey cut and paste corridor levels. Multiple Halos is a great idea. We could make a franchise like what Nintendo has with Mario. Think of it, Master Chief Paint, Master Chief is Missing, Master Chief World 2: Elite Island. Next problem is how we get from Earth to the other Halo.

Teammember 2: Dunno. It's a Sci Fi game lets just teleport them.

Temamember 1: Brilliant. Nobody will question it since are fanbase is 90% idiot tennager American.

Teammember 2: We were wondering if our supersecret second character you play as will be able to kill humans.

Temamember 1: No, we will have the ratings board on our ass. Make something less interesting like rebels of something. It will give our modellers and AI guys a bit of a break. This character is to meet the Mater Chief at some point. How are these two characters to meet?

Teammember 2: Teleportation?

Teammember 1: Genius. Just who will be doing all this teleportaion?

Teammember 2: Well I thought long and hard about this. We heard that Julie Andrews could teleport while se was doing 'the sound of music'. Maybe we could use her.

Teammember 1: The guys aren't all that fond of 'the sound of music'. However we are big fans of 'the little shop of horrors'.

Teammember 2: Well thats sorted. Teleportation will be carried out by the monster from 'the little shop of horrors'.

Teammember 1: How will we end the game?

Teammember 2: With the promise of how we started this game, a huge battle on earth.

Teammember 1: A future Earth full of samey cut and paste corridors?

Teammember 2: You betcha!

*May or may not be true.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Laguna

'twas a great game, but in my opinion would have translated into a terrible movie on a par with such greats as the Kylie Minogue starring Street Fighter 2. We've seen it all before anyway in various incarnations, Battlestar Galactica, Star Wars, Aliens etc. That being said, if it had come out, I would've gone to see it. Hey!, maybe this means Halo 3 will come out earlier!, I remember reading somewhere that the game was being delayed until Q4 2007 so Bungie could get more people on the Halo bandwagon.... Here's hoping - Halo 3 January 2007!..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭quad_red

as pointed out on Empire, we've seen Peter Jackson toting a high risk high cost fantasy project to loads of studios before ;)

Halo's story isn't anything special. But if it was done well it might be an enjoyable 'space opera' flick. I think the Covenant were done well and the operatic poo faced nature of the venture always had me hooked.

There's no need to look down yer monocles at something that hasn't even gone into bloody production yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Just read this on IMDB.com. Aparently it's still got a chance:
    IMDB wrote:
    The future of the movie version of the hit video game Halo is not doomed, the Los Angeles Times indicated Saturday. The newspaper reported that Microsoft, which developed the game, plans to push forward with the movie version on its own even though its previous partners on the film, Universal and 20th Century Fox, have pulled out, citing an unacceptable budget of $145 million. The studios had unsuccessfully attempted to persuade the filmmakers, who include Lord of the Rings producer-director Peter Jackson, to renegotiate their contracts. Moreover, the Times quoted one source as saying that a power struggle had developed between the two studios over control of the movie. The Times report observed that at the time the original financing deal between Microsoft, Universal, and Fox was struck, other studios wondered why Microsoft had not funded the movie on its own.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,712 ✭✭✭Praetorian

Halo hasn't got a fantastic story, but it could have been a fun movie with lots of money and a good studio behind it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 954 ✭✭✭DarthWraak

Hehe, look at Neil Blomkamp's short film

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-1185812222812358837

Advertisement