Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dogs and spiders.

Options
  • 20-10-2006 11:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,282 ✭✭✭

Quick question from the threads about giant spiders. My garage seems to be infested with these spiders, big 4 inch across monstrosites. One of my dogs loves playing with spiders when he see them by pawing at them and flicking them around. He never eats them, just plays with them.

Last week, a big wave of spiders came running out from under a table. Of course, it grabbed his interest to see them and he ran over, tail wagging ready for a bit of fun. The one he pawed at adopted a very aggressive looking stance and stood there looking at him like it was ready to pounce. This was a bloody big spider, and the dog kind of chickened out and left it be. Spider itself was the kind that seems to be common in the spider thread, long spindly legs, fair size body and kind of light to dark brown in color.

I'm just wondering, could any of these things actually bite or hurt my dog? I try not to kill spiders, but if came to the crunch between my dog and a spider, I'd not hesitate to kill the spiders. I hate saying that, but my madra takes priority in the pecking order.
    Cheers.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Alfasudcrazy

I don't know anything about spiders but like you would never hurt one if I could avoid it. Anything that kills flies is good in my book.

By the sounds of it there is enough material there for a good Hitchcock type movie. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭Nothingcompares

no don't worry about the spiders hurting your dog.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭FranknFurter

Most of these house spiders are'nt killing flies ya know. (Unless you're allowing them to build ebs on yer ceiling), they are living off other spiders and crawling insects.

Can't really hurt a dog iirc, but id imagine a small bite on the nose from some of the bigger ones would smart a little lol ;)
    We found one in our hot press (if u are afraid of spiders never store clothes in your hot press!), huge fecker!

B

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭sambora

^^^ Thanks for that.

*takes all of clothes from hot press, padlocks the door & seals gaps*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 169 ✭✭tonym

one of these spiders could not hurt ur dog even if they did bite him it would be no worse that a flea bite he prob would not even feel it

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 31 EsmeWeatherwax

Not unless the neighbours are breeding Black Widows. Or you live in Australia:p

Advertisement