Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Car seized for no tax !

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,694 ✭✭✭ciaran76

:rolleyes: Ive never seen such bullshxt saying you deserve your car being taken of you for no tax. I have driven several times with no road tax simply because I didnt have the money and before you say if I didnt have the money for tax I shouldnt be driving I needed the car for work. No work no money, no money no live. So if you havent tax on your car you shouldnt drive it even if it is for something like rushing someone to hospital. Our cities are rampant with drugs, our politicians are corrupt and our police are the laughing stock of the policing world but folks pay your road tax. Your Country Needs You ;)

I hope there isn't many people in Ireland who think like that :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭overdriver

MrJoeSoap wrote:

A crime is a crime.
    /QUOTE]

Crime? It's an offence, not a crime.
    Let's get some perspective - it's not the bloody General you're talking to here - if he was committing REAL crime, he''d recieve much less Garda attention.
    If the taxes we pay - and I DO pay mine before anyone starts - weren't so outrageously high, more people would pay them when they're supposed to. And yet we allow them to charge us what they want AND toll every new road built.

I can't WAIT for the first Fianna Fail clown to knock here canvassing.
    I have the hole dug and all.

:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 923 ✭✭✭VERYinterested

zefer wrote:
    That is typical.
    I have reported a car that is parked outside my apartment for the last 3 months with no tax and no insurance and its still sitting there!!
    Flipping guards couldnt be bothered with it, probably because they know they wont get anyone to pay an impound charge because nobody will bother to go get it!!! :mad:

Ring the litter warden in your local council, he will soon get it shifted for you. I had a car parked blocking my driveway slightly for months and the Gardai didn't care, no tax, no insurance, windscreen smashed it was a total eyesore. Can't remember wnat made me ring Dun Laoghaire Rathdown Co Co and when I got home from work that day, hey presto, the inconsiderate neighbour had the car pushed in to her driveway after a visit from a 'man in a white van'!

• Registered Users Posts: 884 ✭✭✭zefer

seamus wrote:
    Is it parked on private property though? If it's on private parking (e.g. in an apartment complex), then it can't be removed for not having tax or insurance.

Its in a car parking space which is on a public road..
    No-one seems to want to do anything abut it..cops, mgmt co...

sorry, off topic rant over!

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭ShinyDiscoBall

If ur tax is out 2 months they can take ur car, it changed recently!!!!!:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭podgee

I've just been to the tax office, and paid the arrears etc. A few comments from the experience:

1. The company was entirely wrong in not paying the tax. It wasn't malicious just an admin oversight (the relevant admin now having a footprint on their respective backside). If the company was unable to pay the tax, or just couldn't be bothered, then they would have been utterly in the wrong and would have got what was coming to them. This wasn't the case (I know - how do you know the real ones from the faker bakers....)
    2. In most cases, you're right - the driver should have checked the discs himself. The driver is Spanish, had arrived into Ireland the previous day, and was given the car (as he is every quarter when he is over). So again, it's the company's fault and not his.

There's always someone worse off though. When I was in the tax office today, a bloke at the next window was after having his van impounded (last night - different checkpoint) for no tax. The guards wouldn't give him the van back until the tax was paid. The tax office wouldn't give him a tax disc until he got the van DOEd. In order to get the van released, he was going to tax the van privately (as opposed to commercially) for the shortest period possible - bring it up to a DOE centre and then tax it again commercially when the three months private tax runs out. Bizzarre.

Anyhow, ultimately my mail initially was wondering was this a new departure for the Gardai in impounding vehicles or had it happened to others. From comments here, looks like it's happening pretty regularly.

Thanks
    Podge

• Registered Users Posts: 7,660 ✭✭✭maidhc

:rolleyes: Ive never seen such bullshxt saying you deserve your car being taken of you for no tax. I have driven several times with no road tax simply because I didnt have the money and before you say if I didnt have the money for tax I shouldnt be driving I needed the car for work. No work no money, no money no live. So if you havent tax on your car you shouldnt drive it even if it is for something like rushing someone to hospital. Our cities are rampant with drugs, our politicians are corrupt and our police are the laughing stock of the policing world but folks pay your road tax. Your Country Needs You ;)

While the law is the law, and you should tax your car, the point you make is fair.

Personally I don't think the gardaí should even be checking tax, paying your taxes is a matter between you and the state, it isn't a road safety or criminal issue any more than failing to make your returns in October.

Using the Gardaí as debt collectors in this fashion undermines them IMO, especially if non-payment of road tax is dealt with more severely/swiftly than, say, careless or dangerous driving.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭Gatster

believe it or not our police are at the forefront of their profession - we have foreign forces copying our training programme
    You really have to be joking that the Irish force are one of the leading forces. They may be copying the training, but I doubt they're following the day to day corruption and embarassment...

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

maidhc wrote:
    Personally I don't think the gardaí should even be checking tax, paying your taxes is a matter between you and the state, it isn't a road safety or criminal issue any more than failing to make your returns in October.
    I would have thought that tax evasion was a criminal issue?

Anan1 wrote:
    I would have thought that tax evasion was a criminal issue?
    This government has been treating civil matters as criminal since day one. Car tax is not a criminal matter.

• Advertisement

overdriver wrote:
    This government has been treating civil matters as criminal since day one. Car tax is not a criminal matter.
    Are you sure? I'm not an expert on the law, but I have always been under the impression that tax evasion was a criminal matter.

That's income tax evasion. Car tax is an offence under the road traffic act, but it doesn't make you Ted Bundy.

Nor should we allow the government to treat us as though it is.

overdriver wrote:
    That's income tax evasion. Car tax is an offence under the road traffic act, but it doesn't make you Ted Bundy.
    Are you quite sure that car tax evasion is not a criminal matter in law?

Anan1 wrote:
    Are you quite sure that car tax evasion is not a criminal matter in law?

Nope.

Most tax offences are also civil (e.g. failing to make a tax return...), and even when the CAB take your car/house/wife, it is also a civil matter. Obviously a point does come when failure to comply becomes a criminal offence, but matters never really go that far (e.g. your car is auctioned before you go to jail).

It is much easier for the state to win a case if a matter is civil; there is no need to prove a person had a guilty intention, nor is there any need to prove something beyond reasonable doubt.

EDIT:
    Tax evasion, such as knowlingly making false returns, or assisting in such, is of course a criminal offence. Motor tax does not fall into this category though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 robertjordan

just a quick question what do the gardai do with those cars they seize for not having tax, insurance, ect?? do they auction them? where and when or how would one find out? do customs do the same?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 583 ✭✭✭Dundalk Daily

Im sure everyone who has condemned me on here about car tax has a TV licence for every TV in their homes. It is the law after all :)

Im sure everyone who has condemned me on here about car tax has a TV licence for every TV in their homes. It is the law after all :)
    I do. Why, are you too poor for that also?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

You're only required to have 1 TV licence for one premises. You can have 500 TV's there if you like.

Stephen wrote:
    You're only required to have 1 TV licence for one premises. You can have 500 TV's there if you like.

You only need a licence from after the date you tell the licence inspector to bugger off! They do not have any powers, but may return with a court order to have a look around :)

Going a bit OT, but it is amusing how RTE/Dept of Communications have figured that the Wireless Telegraphy Act 1972 applies to a computer or even a satellite dish, even though the legislation applies to any
    apparatus for wireless telegraphy designed primarily for the purpose of receiving and exhibiting television programmes broadcast for general reception

I have yet to see a computer designed primarily for watching TV, or a satellite dish capable of exhibiting a television program... hummm.

Anyway. Expect to see your car impounded for not having a TV licence next. It is completely possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭Victor_M

zefer wrote:
    That is typical.
    I have reported a car that is parked outside my apartment for the last 3 months with no tax and no insurance and its still sitting there!!
    Flipping guards couldnt be bothered with it, probably because they know they wont get anyone to pay an impound charge because nobody will bother to go get it!!! :mad:

If the car has been abandoned, remove the registration plates and call your local council fingal or who ever, they have to remove it then. The guards are worse than useless, unless the car has been reported stolen they wont take it.

I have to agree you deserve to be impounded if you don't have your car taxed. They should build a huge multi story impound lot and fill it with eastern european cars.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Victor_M wrote:
    They should build a huge multi story impound lot and fill it with eastern european cars.
    If they are registered abroad, it doesn't particularly bother me whether the exchequer in those countries has recieved the appropriate remuneration. Insurance, on the other hand, is a different matter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭\m/_(>_<)_\m/

the way you ask that question, its your impression that people don't.
    well i would presume so... i do anyway.

but no doubt you don't. but you have the funds to buy yourself a laptop.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055005973&referrerid=&highlight=

let me ask you a question.
    do you know what a parasite is?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,064 ✭✭✭Gurgle

just a quick question what do the gardai do with those cars they seize for not having tax, insurance, ect?? do they auction them? where and when or how would one find out? do customs do the same?
    They eventually crush them.
    Can't auction them, they can't re-assign ownership on a licensed vehicle, they can just confiscate them.
    podgee wrote:
    car seized by the Gardai because his tax was out since the end of May.
    The lazy feckers took nearly 5 months to sieze it?
    That is a disgrace.

Gurgle wrote:
    They eventually crush them.
    Can't auction them, they can't re-assign ownership on a licensed vehicle, they can just confiscate them.

Dont know the law, but a person of no fixed abode crashed into us once and fled the scene (well over ten years ago now).

We were allowed to keep their car after a few months and sell it off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,064 ✭✭✭Gurgle

maidhc wrote:
    We were allowed to keep their car after a few months and sell it off.
    Surely the car was registered to someone?
    How did you fill in the paperwork to sell it when you weren't the registered owner?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,560 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

After i think its 3 months if the car has not been claimed from the Gardai they are allowed send them on to the auctions that they have every month!!!

Gurgle wrote:
    Surely the car was registered to someone?
    How did you fill in the paperwork to sell it when you weren't the registered owner?

Don't know. It was a good few years ago, I was small, and I just remember the crashed Mk1 Golf lying around at home for a while.

Advertisement