Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

BMW 320d E46 specs

Options
  • 20-10-2006 11:50am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 566 ✭✭✭

I'm going to be changing my car in the next few months (probably going to import from UK in Jan) and am trying to figure out what to go for now.

I'm currently considering a 2005 320d but I'm having difficulty in getting details on the equipment specs for the various versions (ES, SE etc.). BMW have, as you would expect, upgraded their website to the newer E90 details. Does anyone know where I could get a detailed list of equipment for the different 320d versions?

Also, bearing in mind that I like the 320d, does anyone have any alternative car suggestions? I'm probably going to be having a look at the A4 for one but what else is out there?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,055 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

first off, would u consider the 330d? seriously quick machine

that said the 320 isnt bad and there isnt anything to touch it in the segment.

If your lookin at 05s have you considered the 320d coupe? will cost more tho

http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=491276

I would be inclined to get a sport spec car if i was you

like this only with leather

http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=516638

much easier to sell on than a non sport

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Mc-BigE

You'll pay a lot on VRT on a 05 320d, especially since the facelift 320d has been around since 2002, I’d go for a 2003/4 (in jan07) car but its up to you.

The 330d is very good but 500 more road tax then the 320d is too much, 150bhp is more than enough. Plus the 320d would be easier to sell on.
    If I was tempted by the 330d, id also look at the 530d (older model) sport model.

Min. options to get: Leather/climate ctrl/multifunction steering wheel.

Cream leather/interior is a bitch to keep clean. Black nappa leather is nice.

Look out for a 6 speed gearbox instead of 5 speed. also the BMW auto box is good.

and sport M spec kit is the one to go for, if you can find them.

Other cars: audi A4/A6 140bhp quattro model 1.9 and 2.5 v6 engine
    Merc C or E class CDI
    Lexus IS220d

Do a search here:

http://www.cargiant.ie/

Mc-BigE wrote:
    You'll pay a lot on VRT on a 05 320d, especially since the facelift 320d has been around since 2002, I’d go for a 2003/4 (in jan07) car but its up to you.

The 330d is very good but 500 more road tax then the 320d is too much, 150bhp is more than enough. Plus the 320d would be easier to sell on.
    If I was tempted by the 330d, id also look at the 530d (older model) sport model.

Min. options to get: Leather/climate ctrl/multifunction steering wheel.

Cream leather/interior is a bitch to keep clean. Black nappa leather is nice.

Look out for a 6 speed gearbox instead of 5 speed. also the BMW auto box is good.

and sport M spec kit is the one to go for, if you can find them.

Other cars: audi A4/A6 140bhp quattro model 1.9 and 2.5 v6 engine
    Merc C or E class CDI
    Lexus IS220d

Do a search here:

http://www.cargiant.ie/

disagree that the 330 isnt worth the extra road tax, course it is

plus if u go 04 or even 03 price diff between 320 and 330 is less and less. and 150 bhp is never enough :D

Good advice on the options altho light leather is easy enough to keep clean if you mind it.

Cyrus wrote:
    disagree that the 330 isnt worth the extra road tax, course it is

plus if u go 04 or even 03 price diff between 320 and 330 is less and less. and 150 bhp is never enough :D

Good advice on the options altho light leather is easy enough to keep clean if you mind it.

Don't get me wrong, id love a 330d, its 185 and over BHP i think and a very smooth quiet straight 6, but the 320d is a very good allrounder IMO:D

it is to be fair and prolly enough for most
    however the 2 litre still sounds a bit agricultural to me, thats where the 3 litre improves things

• Advertisement

those a4 avants are lovely, only avant i would consider

320d is nice but sports seats are preferable

here's a very tempting 330d sport

http://www.cargiant.ie/cars/search3.asp?Id=304059#

i better stop this looking or i'll end up trading up myself:D

oh yes!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 566 ✭✭✭TKK

I'm not going to go for the 330d. Yes I'd love it I'm sure but the tax is ridiculous on them.

I'm just back from a test drive in a 2004 320d ES with the 6-speed gearbox. I've not enjoyed a drive that much in a while :) It was the ES model but I thought it was a bit bare equipment wise. I think I'll be aiming for the SE or sports version.

• Advertisement

id really try get a sports, good luck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 566 ✭✭✭TKK

Biggest problem I have with going too old is the mileage. I'm doing 30K+ a year and that won't be going down. If I go for something with high mileage and run it for 3 years which I plan to then I risk having trouble offloading it.

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭tvr

http://www.cargiant.ie/cars/search3.asp?Id=304059#

that one is very nice , do no mileage on the ad means its plus 80000 .

looks the biz , do at that price and 2002 might go for a 350z jap import on a 03.

thats a good question how hard is it actually to get rid of a bmw with 150000 etc .

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

I think the SE has more toys than the ES.....thats what I'd be going for

• Registered Users Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

Cyrus wrote:
    it is to be fair and prolly enough for most
    however the 2 litre still sounds a bit agricultural to me, thats where the 3 litre improves things
    Sure when idling, but it's not as economical.

I'm driving a 320D myself, 150BHP with a lot more cabin space than the equivalent Audi A4.

If you really have to go higher than 2 litre with a Diesel, then start looking at petrol again.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,660 ✭✭✭maidhc

If you really have to go higher than 2 litre with a Diesel, then start looking at petrol again.

I'd agree, a 2 litre 150bhp engine should be more than enough for a car the size of a 3 series! The A4 comes as standard with 115!

I don't doubt the 330d is a weapon though!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

330 or 530, it doesn't matter which, Eur 539 pa tax vs Eu1343 pa tax is a lot more than a Eur500 difference.

And, you won't be able to get rid of 3-litre car for love nor money in the not too distant future............carbon taxes and all that.

Now, if you're still interested, then the dealers of Ireland have 530d's lined up that they cant give away. I'd be suprised if you had to pay more than 15-18k for a very, very good one...............be sure to write the value down to zero during your period of ownership and you'll be a happy bunny..........

And, over 2 litre, petrol comes back into it's own, fuel and the cars being much, much cheaper.........

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

If you don't find the right spec 320d also have a look at the Honda Accord 2.2 diesel. It is a nice very smooth motor, it comes well speced also with leather, cruise control, etc all as standard on the diesel model. I know it is slightly more expensive on road tax but they are probably that bit cheaper used than the 320d. A nice alternative to the 320d.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

I plan to change to either an A4 Avant or a 320D Touring myself come the new year. Also considering going the UK route. To me, a 3 or 4 year old model makes most financial sense given the VRT charges.

Couple of points to note:

- VRT on a diesel A4 is a fair bit less than the 320D as the rate is 25% (assuming you go for the 1.9). The 1.9 is a shade under 1900cc which is the threshold at which point VRT goes to 30%. I know.... bastards. :mad:
    - The 330 vs. 320 debate: the 320D is 150bhp standard, but it (and the A4 TDi - in fact any turbo) are highly tunable. The 320D can be brought to around 200bhp by these chaps (of whom I've only heard good things):

http://www.celtictuning.co.uk/vehicles/bmw/bmw-318d-320d-330d-ecu-remap-chip-engine-tuning.html

If you have the money and are willing to pay the extra road tax and put up with the difficulty selling the 330 in Ireland, go for it. Personally I'd go with the 320 and get it remapped.

Advertisement