Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Distasteful T-Shirt Label

• 20-10-2006 12:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 277 ✭✭

Anyone listening to the Last Word on Today FM last night?

They were talking about a new t-shirt label whose logo features a figure holding a cricket/baseball bat with blood on the end of it. Beside it is what they said 'depicts a female' figure but the manufacturers claim it is a baseball glove with 'mud' on it.

Has anyone seen this or knows what the brand is - I am curious.

Also I cant remember what women's rights group were up in arms about this and want it banned, but I can see their point. I guess this is similar to the release of that energy drink called 'cocaine'. Its a pity that all these negative aspects of society are becoming marketing devices but I suppose they sell. I dont agree with them myself but if people are actually getting hurt then no harm I suppose.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭layke

Yeah heard it myself, fortunately i'm ususally in a workshop with a radio (unless on site). Yup they were going bannanas about it but I think it was mainly over the fact that kids are buying clothes called pimpwear (and the like) that are pretty much making tracksuites with "Naughty" written across the ass. This is aimed at a pre teen market and so on...

The cloths aim to be provocative to sell. Each brand competes with another so the next one is worse.

At the end of the day i've seen worse as a kid and personally I don't think kids pay that much attention to those things. I didn't anyway.
    If you have a good upbringing such things won't influence you.

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭stipey

Haven't seen the t-shirt you are talking about

but I really, really want one of these: http://www.prickwear.com/viewShirt.aspx?prod=4924

the only problem is, I'm torn between really really wanting the t-shirt and really really wanting to see my next birthday.

maybe the "Not Mohammed" one is less offensive

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,665 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

layke wrote:
    ...If you have a good upbringing such things won't influence you.

Therein lies your problem! If....

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭layke

lol those are quality.

Ikky, true but tbh I doubt the t-shirt is going to be the downfall of society. It's usually always the parents fault.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,367 ✭✭✭Agamemnon

stipey wrote:
    but I really, really want one of these: http://www.prickwear.com/viewShirt.aspx?prod=4924

The girl wearing it has a look of terror in her eyes. Wonder if she's still alive?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,268 ✭✭✭mountainyman

A friend of mine went round silk screeners looking to have a
    'Mohammad was a Paedophile' T-shirt made up.

No one would do it.

MM

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

You want offensive? You got it! Can imagine wearing this around Hicksville, USA.

http://www.tshirthell.com/shirts/products/a768/a768_a_01.jpg

I could do worse...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,584 ✭✭✭c - 13

Some of the stuff on Tshirthell you should only wear if you have a death wish. Namely have a look in their "Worse than hell" section.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

Good old reliable T-shirt hell.

c - 13 wrote:
    Some of the stuff on Tshirthell you should only wear if you have a death wish. Namely have a look in their "Worse than hell" section.

Its gone, though for how long I'm not sure. Its always disappearing then coming back again.

I'm definitely getting some of them... (when I leave the country...)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

Nice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,584 ✭✭✭c - 13

Actually I just looked and it been remamed the bowels of hell - scroll downt to near the end of this page and theyre there, alot less of them than there used to be though.
    I bought some of their milder stuff alright.

This is something I'd get, not too offensive but good nonetheless. That said, my "F*ck this gig" t-shirt got plenty of reactions in the States.

http://www.tshirthell.com/store/product.php?productid=644

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Smellyirishman

c - 13 wrote:
    alot less of them than there used to be though.

Yeah, there seems to be quite a few classics gone, and the overall offensiveness seems to have fallen too :(.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,410 ✭✭✭kizzyr

Mexicola wrote:
    Anyone listening to the Last Word on Today FM last night?

They were talking about a new t-shirt label whose logo features a figure holding a cricket/baseball bat with blood on the end of it. Beside it is what they said 'depicts a female' figure but the manufacturers claim it is a baseball glove with 'mud' on it.

Has anyone seen this or knows what the brand is - I am curious.

Also I cant remember what women's rights group were up in arms about this and want it banned, but I can see their point. I guess this is similar to the release of that energy drink called 'cocaine'. Its a pity that all these negative aspects of society are becoming marketing devices but I suppose they sell. I dont agree with them myself but if people are actually getting hurt then no harm I suppose.
    It was a woman from the Rape Crisis Centre who was on the show talking about it. I know we are living in a world where we are at times going way OTT with political correctness but I really do think that a t-shirt like this is in bad taste. I also agree with the people who object to padded bras and thongs being sold in the children's section of a department store. Kids are kids for a short time and its wrong to sexualise them. 10 year old should not be going around wearing g-strings with " Little Miss Naughty" written on them or boob tubes with "Foxy Chick" across them either. Although I do wonder at the parents that buy things like this for their children.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 277 ✭✭Mexicola

Cheers kizzyr. Couldnt remember!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Lmao at the stick figure one. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 375 ✭✭im_invisible

anyone remember the eclipse brand that was out about 10 years ago, their logo was a guy with a crack-pipe, (id love to get some of them hoodies, for the retro-cool type thing)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Heisenberg.

This post has been deleted.

When i was in America last year i saw a guy wearing a t shirt that said and i quote:
    "I f.ucked the olsen twins before they were famous"
    :)

Fairly sure thats a t-shirt hell one!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 583 ✭✭✭monkey tennis

The only thing I find offensive about these kinds of t-shirts is that they're mostly crap. If you're going to make an 'offensive' t-shirt, you should at least make it funny or clever, which few of them are.

Advertisement