Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Home Needed for Ferret URGENT !!!!!!!

Options
  • 20-10-2006 1:08pm

Hey There girlfriend and i got a young ferret the other day. Unfortunatly we my girlfriend and myself were bitten and we are now having second thoughts about it. If there is any experienced Ferret owners would like a nother polecat that you can give the time to , please PM me.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,702 ✭✭✭bounty_hunter

Dre as in Dray, you need to teach your ferret not to nip!
    It is instinctive behaviour, you cannot expect a wild animal to automatically know what it can and can't do in a domestic environment that is completely beyond its natural reasoning. If it was a new puppy and it chewed a shoe, would you get rid of it?

Please don't give up on your new pet just yet, it sounds to me like you just need to do a hell of a lot more research.

If you're willing to face up to the responsibility you've brought on yourself PM me and I'll help you out with some training techniques :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 121 ✭✭cheeky_guy

can i have a loan of him for a day and il pay you?? We have a slight problem with rats in our house at the moment and we need a vicious ferret to sort them out. Happy to pay you!!

Incredibly stupid suggestion cheeky_guy, I sincerely hope you were joking :mad:

The ferret is a pet, not an extermination service. Once a ferret has been blooded (assuming this one hasn't already) it is extremely difficult to reverse any damage that has been done to its domestic nature. Once a killer is always a killer. I suggest you google advice on how to get rid of the rats in a sensible way, preferably one that doesn't involve them being brutally slain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Dre, Bounty Hunter is right - the ferret needs time to be trained not to bite! I have 2 ferrets Nibbler is sooooo gentle but Olga tends to nip not hard enough to draw blood but she plays like a ferret. When ferret kits play together they are very rough & then we take them home & they try to play with us as ferrets they have no idea that our skin in not as tough as theirs is. If that makes sense??

Hello , unfortunately i have bad news about this. My girlfriend loved this little guy, i was very fond of him too but last week one morning i heard my girlfriend scream. I ran into the kitchen and the Ferret was hanging out of her hand .She tried to pry it off her hand with her finger and it bit into that.

She recieved 3 visicous bytes very deep, alot of blood. I caught him and put him into his cage. My girlfriend had to go to hospital and was bleeding for 4 days due to the nature of the bites. her Hand was in bandages that had to be changed.

We were going to hold onto it but after this we had to get rid of it. I found somebody to take it and told him the whole story while showing him i recieved a terrible bite from it. i am sure i am going to be scarred.The guy who took it told me that this ferret was bread for hunting not a pet.

This experience has turned my girlfriend off animals and i really love them. I really want to have a ferret as this situation has not but me off them. I am sure they are not as bad as the one i got. Infact i do think we were just very unlucky. Also should i report the guy who sold the ferret to us ? He is selling them all off as pets.

I would like to talk her around about getting a ferret again but she would really have to see what they are really like as pets , i just dont know how to do this. It would be good for her also as she has developed a fear and it would be good to nip it in the bud now.

• Advertisement

Very sorry to hear this Dre as in Dray, what an unfortunate situation.
    To be honest I suspected he may have been blooded, but didn't want to immediately put you off. It would take a hell of a bite for anyone to want to rehome their pet without even considering other options, so it seemed a bit bizarre that you would be taking this route if he was only nipping.

It's a huge shame that there are some people who just want to make money and aren't interested at all in the welfare of their animals or the people they sell them to. I would not hesistate to report the person who sold you the ferret if you are sure it was blooded and he/she was aware of this. First of all though I would recommend that you speak to them about it, and maybe try to find out if other buyers have experienced the same problem, before launching an attack on them with no real evidence that they were knowingly in the wrong.

It would be good for both you and your girlfriend if you tried to find somebody who has pet ferrets that you could visit and get to know a bit better. As mentioned by both myself and Bond-007 though, ferrets can still be prone to nipping. Don't be under any illusions that they will instantly be cuddly and lovely, they do require a lot of hard work and training. However, if you put the work in, you will be rewarded tenfold. They do make an excellent pet with the right care and attitude.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭FranknFurter

The guy who took it told me that this ferret was bread for hunting not a pet.....

A ferret is a ferret, like any animal they develop their personalities from the time they are born. All ferrets are good hunters, but a ferret "bred for hunting" will make a wonderful pet AS LONG AS it is never actually trained to hunt and bite in the first place or led to believe that thats ok. And even then, it can still learn the new rules.
    The thing is, if you take on an animal, learn how to tackle such things before you take it, not after the damage is done, nearly every website with ferret info talks about ways of dealing with problem ferrets.
    Infact i do think we were just very unlucky. Also should i report the guy who sold the ferret to us ? He is selling them all off as pets......

If he is breeding them for hunting, letting them learn to hunt (blooding) and THEN selling them on as pets, yes he is doing wrong.
    However, a lot of people are very quick to tag an untamed ferret as having been a hunting animal. Ferrets need a lot of careful handling to become social. And research on training and handling a ferret is vital, they are not an animal to take lightly.

No animal will know whats accecptable and whats not, until its taught.

I once took in a male and female. They *had been* used for hunting, after a bit of proper handling (using leather gauntlet gloves with horrible tasting stuff rubbed in, and handling them constantly for 3 weeks) they learnt that hands are for tickling and stroking not for chewing.

b

I think I may have made a misunderstanding somewhere here. Dre as in Dray, did you mean that the guy who took the ferret from you knew of the breeder in question, or just that he assumed the ferret was "bred for hunting"?

If it's the latter, follow FranknFurter's advice. As he has mentioned, there is no such thing as "bred for hunting". All ferrets are natural hunters from birth, it is the treatment and training they receive from then on that makes the difference. If the ferret was "bred for hunting" and then actually trained to hunt, that is where there'd be a problem. If the breeder has not actually blooded the animal then they cannot be held responsible for their natural temperament.

As FranknFurter has also mentioned, hyperactive or otherwise troublesome ferrets are quite often mistaken for having been blooded just because they have not been properly trained into a domestic lifestyle, so unless the guy who took your ferret is actually familiar with the breeder and happens to know how he operates, you cannot take his word on whether the ferret was blooded or not.

However, if the breeder is completely genuine and takes good care of his animals the ferret should have at least been a bit more tame than what you have described. I breed small animals myself, so I can tell you that the work you put in in their first few weeks of life makes all the difference to the kind of pets they will grow up to be.

Hi , I spoke to 2 people in question about this. There was one guy who breeds them as pets. Gets the smell removed and shots ect ... He stopped breeding them for the next couple of years . He was the one who informed me about mine. He also found a home for it. It was looking like it was going to have to be put down. ISPCA were rubbish as they told me they know nothing about Ferrets but if i wanted i could drive to them and they would put it down for me.
    I was told of a guy who breeds them in wicklow. he sells pet accessarys with them . Have you heard of him anybody ?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Put your name down on the petsireland and irishanimals board that you are interested in a pet ferret, at least if a decent rescue gets handed one in they can access the ferrets nature before homeing. Sounds like the guy you got the ferret from was just in it for the money.

• Advertisement

The guy is still selling them on Buy and sell. !!

Jesus, Buy and Sell! That says it all really.

Jesus, Buy and Sell! That says it all really.

Yeah well i asked for help trying to find somwere that breeds them, i had been looking for about 2 months and everybody including petshops. I asked here too and nobody knows . I am still looking if you have any idea. We are petless at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭EGAR

The hunt with ferrets in Germany is very popular and ALL these ferrets have killed, yet they are perfectly safe to handle. DaiD, your best bet would be a rescue who knows what they are doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Calvin141170

I have two ferrets -- both jills from the same litter -- and they make wonderful pets. My six year old twins and their three year old sister can handle them no problem (supervised of course).

They came from parents who used to be hunting ferrets, but both they and their parents were handled regularly -- and that's the key. Ferrets are bright little critters and learn quickly not to bite if they are handled regularly from a young age (whether they are hunting ferrets or not).

The reason a lot of hunting ferrets tend to bite is nothing to do with whether or not they've been "blooded" -- it's because they tend not to get much human interaction, which means that they literally don't know any better. Biting may also be a symptom of poor housing -- being locked in confined spaces for long periods -- which leads to boredom, frustration and the behavioural problems that come from that.

Generally it's not bad ferrets but bad owners that are the problem!

Cheers,

Calvin!

To true,
    Ill never forget one guy arriving in our house a few years back with two ferrets squashed into what looked like a budgie breeding box!
    And by-godess they were a pair. Between the scenting and amazing ability to *vanish* in less than two seconds (leaving chaos in their wake!) we were unable to do much for them.

But, for the right person with the right situation and a LOT of time and energy Im told they can make great pets.
    (somone once told me they are like "cats on speed!" LOL)

B

They sleep a lot though... up to 15-16 hours a day -- so if you're prepared to give them a couple of hours playtime they're happy as Larry.

We have harnesses and leads for our little ladies and often take them out for walks down the lane -- much to the amusement (and occasionally horror) of passers by.

If you can't spend a lot of time with your pet ferret, having more than one makes sense -- they keep each other occupied and watching them play together is hillarious. They're eternally playful -- like kittens that never grow up.

If you do get more than one make sure you do "nip" train them early on -- with another ferret they'll play rough, and they need to know the difference when it's time to play with you.

Cheers,

Calvin!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

Quick question, how much do ferrets go for in Ireland?

Between my gf and her mom, they've got 7 ferrets, majority were taken in and the rest store bought.

Can't recall the exact price of ferrets atm.

Two reasonably informative links:
    http://www.ferrets.org/Ferrets_As_Pets.htm
    and
    http://www.britishferretclub.co.uk/ferretsaspets.htm

Enjoy :)

(VERY IMPORTANT POINT: "All ferrets should be fixed or neutered before they reach sexual maturity for the following reasons: 1) Unneutered animals give off a very pungent and unpleasant smell to attract mates, and

2) once in heat, female ferrets remain so until they mate successfully. If mating does not occur, the females will succumb to aplastic anemia and die a most painful death."

Not "might", WILL.

B

• Closed Accounts Posts: 206 ✭✭nando

OP hope you girlfriend's bites healed ok and she hasn't given up on ferrets, let alone animals, all together! Ferrets can make fantastic pets if they're handled correctly. Like FF says neutering is essential - for smell and other health reasons! There's very good links for ferrets on the irishanimals.ie website - I think those FF posted above may be from there.
    There was one guy who breeds them as pets. Gets the smell removed and shots ect ...

Descenting? In Ireland? Can you guys tell me if this is done commonly or routinely in Ireland?

• Advertisement

I got my two (sisters from the same litter from friends who have kept ferrets for many years) for free, so I can't comment on the price. But bear FranknFurter's advice in mind before deciding on a ferret.

My two little ladies were speyed a week ago, and still have their stitches in.

You'll have to either:

a) get a ferret that's already been speyed/nutered or b) budget for having them speyed/neutered.

Most vets who deal with small animals will be able to work with ferrets, but it's best to ring around and find one who'se treated ferrets before. Getting them speyed/neutered is not cheap -- quotes for my two varied from €70 - €140 per ferret.

I eventually opted for a local vet here in west Cork who provides alternative care as well as performing conventional veterinary procedures (my little ladies were given a homoeopathic recovery cocktail after their operations -- homoeopathy for ferrets... whatever next?) where I got both done for €160.

They were a bit spaced out for a couple of days after the anaesthetic and the discomfort of the operation, but were soon back to their usual playful antics.

As with any pet you should plan to have money available for unexpected trips to the vet too -- particularly with ferrets as their inquisitive nature and tendency to put everything into their mouth can lead them into trouble.

Food is another consideration -- and while they don't eat a whole lot, special ferret diets (which are the recommended food, as ferrets need higher protein, higher fat diets than either cats or dogs) are generally more expensive and less available than other pet foods. You can get away with feeding your fuzzies with HIGH QUALITY kitten food -- but not ordinary cat food and definitely not dog food. Some people advocate what's called the BARF diet (Bones and Raw Food)... read what the British Ferret Club have to say on the matter and you be the judge.

I use James Wellbeloved Ferret Complete that I can get in either a 2KG or a 7.5 KG bag at a local pet shop. There are others available -- ask your local shop what they can get hold of for you and do some research online.

In short ferrets are not a cheap or easy option when it comes to choosing a pet. They are, however, wonderful companions, take up far less room than a cat or dog, are much more interactive and playful than say a rabbit or a guinie pig and overall make fantastic pets for the right owners.

Cheers,

Calvin!

nando wrote:
    Descenting? In Ireland? Can you guys tell me if this is done commonly or routinely in Ireland?

Not as a rule, as far as I can tell. I think descenting (which involves removal of the anal scent glands) is a more common practice in the US, but it's a bit of a misnomer, as descenting won't take away your ferret's characteristic musky smell.

A ferret's everyday smell comes from scent glands in the skin, and gets stronger in sexually mature individuals. When a ferret is spayed / neutered it won't develop these stronger odours.

Any ferret (included descented ferrets) will retain that characteristic mild musky odour throughout its life. Many people quite like it -- and it certainly smells better than wet dog.

A pet ferret will only "spray" its anal scent glands if it feels very threatened or frightened. The smell is bad, but dissapates completely within a few minutes. Most ferrets, if they're properly looked after, will rarely if ever spray.

This side of the Atlantic descenting is widely regarded as both uneccessary and undesirable (some go as far as to call it mutilation). Unless there is a medical reason for it most UK vets are reluctant to perform the surgery, and I suspect the same is true here in Ireland.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Calvin!

Not as a rule, as far as I can tell. I think descenting (which involves removal of the anal scent glands) is a more common practice in the US............

.............This side of the Atlantic descenting is widely regarded as both uneccessary and undesirable (some go as far as to call it mutilation). Unless there is a medical reason for it most UK vets are reluctant to perform the surgery, and I suspect the same is true here in Ireland.

Thankyou for the reply Calvin. I am a vet but I have only ever worked under UK law where removing of anal glands of any animal is considered a mutilation unless it is for therapeutic reasons. I was under the impression that the ethical guidelines of the Irish veterinary council were the same, if not Irish law, and was a little surprised to see a poster saying a ferret breeder was having ferrets "descented" routinely in Ireland.

Hi Nando,

I'm not sure of the legal position here in Ireland.

When I was ringing around to find a suitable vet to spey my furry friends one veterinary clinic did "recommend" that I have the anal glands removed to "save the expense of a second procedure at a later date". Needless to say I went elsewhere -- but it does beg the question as to the legal/ethical position here in Ireland.

Speying / Neutering is a necessary procedure -- especially for jills -- descenting is not. Removal of the anal glands should only be done, in my opinion, when there is a medicaly compelling reason to do so.

Anyone out there know what the official legal/ethical position on this is in Ireland?

Cheers,

Calvin!

IIRC, I remember reading somwhere that the medical benefit is the prevention of blocking of the anal glands later on in pet (non breeding) ferrets.
    I could be wrong, I just remember reading that somwhere.

B

Removing the anal glands would indeed prevent their impaction later on but that, in the opinion of the Royal College of Veterinary Surgeons, is not a legitimate reason to remove them (I would have to say I agree). It is considered a procedure carried out for purely practical reasons and is therefore a mutilation whereas removal following a problem is considered a procedure for therapeutic reasons and is therefore ethical.

The op is not as straightforward as it may seem and can be associated with many complications. It's also an uncommon condition in ferrets and when it does occur often causes little, if any, discomfort. A majority of dogs suffer from anal gland impaction and have their glands expressed regularly but most people would agree that removing their anal glands routinely is not warranted. I just think it would be like removing everybody's tonsils and appendix routinely to prevent appendicitis or tonsillitis later on. :eek:

I tried today to find out some info on the procedure here in Ireland. It seems there is no legal standing and the veterinary council ethics are a little more vague than in the UK but the procedure carried out for either descenting or preventing of anal gland impaction would be generally classed as unethical and most vets would not be happy to perform the procedure for these reasons.

After some research Id agree that it does not seem necessary and seems a bit "off" as far as how ethical it is.

From what Im currently reading, it seems neutering alone has a better effect on the scent problem then actual "descenting".
    Also it seems (I didnt know this), that like skunks, ferrets spray a liquid from those glands as a weapon and means of defence.
    Removing them in that case imho *would* be barbaric, like declawing a kitten, (shudder!).

B

Yes it is also a myth that the anal scent glands are solely responsible for a ferret's smell - they have several sets of scent glands.

It is classed in exactly the same ethical category as docking tails and declawing kittens by the RCVS - a "barbaric" mutilation unless carried out for therapeutic reasons following a problem.

Advertisement