Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom DSL

Options
  • 20-10-2006 1:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭

Has anyone else noticed recently that a lot of eircom's lines seem to be losing sync all of a sudden? I've got about 10 calls from customers and when I call out it's always the same thing, the router says the connection is down. As always, I try another DSL router to make sure it's not that at fault. What would be causing lines that were working perfectly fine to suddenly stop working? Some idiot messing about in the exchange perhaps?
    Of course when eircom are contacted about it they always blame the customer and say they must have done something to the line.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭Foxwood

markdunne wrote:
    What would be causing lines that were working perfectly fine to suddenly stop working? Some idiot messing about in the exchange perhaps?
    Must be the rain!

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭arseagon

Foxwood wrote:
    Must be the rain!

Didn't think the rain should affect the lines?

markdunne wrote:
    Didn't think the rain should affect the lines?
    Did you leave out the smilie?

Yes, the rain could affect the phonelines. It shouldn't, but it could. But it would be unlikely to affect as many as you've seen (unless you've got hundreds of customers and only 10 were affected)

Are the lines that are having trouble 3Mb lines or 1Mb lines? The higher speed lines are more likely to be affected by changing conditions, because they are more sensitive.

What does your router say about the line characteristics?

I don't have hundreds of customers and the lines were on different exchanges aswell. As far as I know, most of them were just on the home starter package.

the modems weren't giving line characteristics, they were just saying DSL connection down.

markdunne wrote:
    I don't have hundreds of customers and the lines were on different exchanges aswell. As far as I know, most of them were just on the home starter package.

the modems weren't giving line characteristics, they were just saying DSL connection down.
    The administrative interface on the modems will tell you what the attenuation on the line is.

• Advertisement

Hmm I must check that if I get another similar call.

• Registered Users Posts: 934 ✭✭✭techie

Had a few customers with similar problems in Cork and swapped older Eircom router to a newer ADSL2 version (Silver) and everything ok now.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

techie wrote:
    Had a few customers with similar problems in Cork and swapped older Eircom router to a newer ADSL2 version (Silver) and everything ok now.

Apparently there are problems with that router too - couple of reports on here about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭thefinalstage

Why are eircom shipping adsl2 modems?

And sometimes during the afternoon my modem won't synch for approximately 30 minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,245 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

I've been having this problem just the last week. The modem is a netopia 3341 which I've never had trouble with before. The last two mornings, it wasn't working but had been fine the night before. Turn the power switch on and off at the back and it works again, but it's beginning to be a pain having to do this. I'll have a look for a firmware update, but have been waiting to see if it will stop crapping out. Maybe eircom has started dropping connection when not being used and this is effecting some modems... but then thing is you can't even get to the menu of the box (ie 192.168.1.254) so the box must be crashing or freezing.

Here's the snr from the modem, if anyone has anything to compare them with let me know

ADSL Line State: Up
    ADSL Startup Attempts: 1
    ADSL Modulation: DMT
    Datapump Version: 3.28
    Downstream Upstream

SNR Margin: 14.84 19. 0 dB
    Line Attenuation: 39.40 24. 0 dB
    Errored Seconds: 0 0
    Loss of Signal: 0 0
    Loss of Frame: 0 0
    FEC Errors: 0 0
    CRC Errors: 0 62
    Data Rate: 3072 384

Im in south dublin btw

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Why are eircom shipping adsl2 modems?

And sometimes during the afternoon my modem won't synch for approximately 30 minutes.

Most likely because thats the way companies are now supplying them to the market.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,460 ✭✭✭shinzon

aye my lines been losing synch a lot lately tbh,only at night though never during the day, just loses synch resynchs up and im away again, pretty annoying though

Shin

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭douglasman

eolhc wrote:
    I've been having this problem just the last week. The modem is a netopia 3341 which I've never had trouble with before. The last two mornings, it wasn't working but had been fine the night before. Turn the power switch on and off at the back and it works again, but it's beginning to be a pain having to do this. I'll have a look for a firmware update, but have been waiting to see if it will stop crapping out. Maybe eircom has started dropping connection when not being used and this is effecting some modems... but then thing is you can't even get to the menu of the box (ie 192.168.1.254) so the box must be crashing or freezing.

Here's the snr from the modem, if anyone has anything to compare them with let me know

ADSL Line State: Up
    ADSL Startup Attempts: 1
    ADSL Modulation: DMT
    Datapump Version: 3.28
    Downstream Upstream

SNR Margin: 14.84 19. 0 dB
    Line Attenuation: 39.40 24. 0 dB
    Errored Seconds: 0 0
    Loss of Signal: 0 0
    Loss of Frame: 0 0
    FEC Errors: 0 0
    CRC Errors: 0 62
    Data Rate: 3072 384

Im in south dublin btw

Hi,
    I can tell from the Datapump version that you are running with very old firmware. I'm running with the latest firmware and have no problems at all, my connection has been up non stop since May. The firmware is available at

http://www.netopia.com/support/hardware/3341.html

However, your line attenuation is high so you are quite some distance from the exchange (wiring wise) which is also not ideal for a stable connection unfortunately.

douglasman wrote:
    Hi,
    I can tell from the Datapump version that you are running with very old firmware. I'm running with the latest firmware and have no problems at all, my connection has been up non stop since May. The firmware is available at

http://www.netopia.com/support/hardware/3341.html

However, your line attenuation is high so you are quite some distance from the exchange (wiring wise) which is also not ideal for a stable connection unfortunately.
    thanks for the reply

tried upgrade the firmware earlier today from the netopia page(my current vers. 7.3.0r1 btw), the modem spends a minute after the "install software" button is pressed before giving a failed message. Tried two seperate downloads of the file. Maybe disconnecting everything before trying the update again might help. I have another modem, use it for wireless, which if i can't sort out the netopia modem, i might try that, but it's a d-link which wasn't too good before.

I've had the netopia modem for.. must be nearly three years without any connection issues and it's still working fine after a restart... just strange it's crashed a few times the last few days.

shinzon wrote:
    aye my lines been losing synch a lot lately tbh,only at night though never during the day, just loses synch resynchs up and im away again, pretty annoying though

Shin

Just wondering does it resynch itself or do you need to switch it on and off again?

techie wrote:

Most customers have the old netopias and when I went to test with the silver netopia it still wouldn't sync. I've even been testing it with a Draytek Vigor 2600 which is a very reliable piece of kit and still no sync.

Advertisement