Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

3 walled garden internet access?

• 20-10-2006 1:25pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 456 ✭✭

What exactly do people mean when they say that 3 has "walled garden" internet access? What is blocked exactly? What can you not do with your phone?

For example, is it just restrictions on the sites you can reach with your phone's browser? What about Java apps on the phone? Can you use your phone as a 3G modem for your PC and get at all the internet?

Thanks,

Ciarán.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

ceejay wrote:
    What exactly do people mean when they say that 3 has "walled garden" internet access? What is blocked exactly? What can you not do with your phone?

For example, is it just restrictions on the sites you can reach with your phone's browser? What about Java apps on the phone? Can you use your phone as a 3G modem for your PC and get at all the internet?

Thanks,

Ciarán.
    they have some selected sites like bbc.co.uk and wapidedia.org. you can't go on the proper internet, only the sites they list. you can't use it as a modem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Umiq88

With three you dont have open access to the internet you can only browse there content as far as i know otherwise id change in a second

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

This doesn't restrict you when using Wi-Fi does it? Friend was going to get the N80 but if this is the case, I'd advise him to just fork out the extra for sim free.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,174 ✭✭✭1huge1

no wifi still works since it has nothing to do with the 3 network

Obviously, but you are still using the Three browser. Would be easier to block with a browser than doing a network ban.

• Advertisement

chrislad wrote:
    Obviously, but you are still using the Three browser. Would be easier to block with a browser than doing a network ban.
    you can put opera mini on the phone

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Umiq88

If you use opera browser with 3g can you still only access 3's content or can you browse the web freely

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 456 ✭✭ceejay

Well, i have heard of someone being able to use MSN Messenger on his phone with 3 for example, and he wasn't aware of any particular restrictions. He didn't have enough credit at that time to check out using the phone as a modem, but this did seem to contradict what I had heard here before.

Can anyone who actually uses 3 confirm/deny any of this?

Is there somewhere on the 3 site that states what the restrictions are?

This has been putting me off switching to 3, but if it's not there, or is not really that restrictive, then I may switch :)

Ciarán.

ceejay wrote:
    Well, i have heard of someone being able to use MSN Messenger on his phone with 3 for example, and he wasn't aware of any particular restrictions.
    msn messenger is one of the things you can do on the phones yes.
    ceejay wrote:
    He didn't have enough credit at that time to check out using the phone as a modem, but this did seem to contradict what I had heard here before.
    you definitely can't

ceejay wrote:
    Is there somewhere on the 3 site that states what the restrictions are?

This has been putting me off switching to 3, but if it's not there, or is not really that restrictive, then I may switch :)
    its not so much that they restrict parts as they only offer certain things, such as msn messenger and hotmail, but not gmail. i'll have a look through what i can do and post back in a few minutes

actually there's a lot of stuff so i'll just list a few highlights

rte
    tcm breaking news
    GAA
    12travel.ie
    aer lingus
    dublins b&b's
    horse racing guide

bbc news
    hotmail
    amazon
    ebay
    news & weather
    entertainment.ie (i use it for cinema listings)
    shopping & lifgestyle
    sport
    webmail (yahoo mail and hotmail are the only ones i've heard of. there's about 10)
    travel
    tech & finance

lookup stuff (you can't use google but can use a version of wikipedia called wapipedia. you can use imdb aswell)

there's a good bit more stuff but i'd never be bothered using any of it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,174 ✭✭✭1huge1

ok im clearly out of the loop here
    do we have msn messenger with 3 and if so how can we access it?
    because ive looked around the hotmail thing on their websites and never got onto msn messenger

1huge1 wrote:
    because ive looked around the hotmail thing on their websites and never got onto msn messenger
    its not in hotmail iirc. my daily free trial has run out so i can't check now. i'll let you know tomorrow. it might not work on your v3x and maybe thats why you haven't found it

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭MayoExplosion

www.mobile.msn.com.

From your phone of course.

www.mobile.msn.com.

From your phone of course.
    ah, someone who doesn't know the not quite internet of the 3 network

I was told today the the WiFi on the N80 is also restricted. Hence, what's the point of it.

chrislad wrote:
    I was told today the the WiFi on the N80 is also restricted. Hence, what's the point of it.
    i thought you were wrong so i just phoned up and apparently it is. that's the most homosexual thing i've ever heard, and i've seen brokeback mountain!

Yup, I mean, it's not like they get charged for you using it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Are you actually telling me the wi-fi on the phone is restricted to 3s list also?

that completely negates the whole ****in point of having wi-fi...

yup. i noticed before that they didn't list wifi as a feature on the website but i thought it was just a mistake

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,173 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

ive a sim free n80 on the 3 network and i can access whatever i like with wifi? how can they restrict wifi, surely u just use the nokia webbrowser instead of the std wap style one that logs onto 3

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Yeah but you said you're using a sim free model with a 3 sim, rather then a 3 n80 with the 3 firmware...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,173 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

they are easy enough to flash with generic firmware, ie if i could do it anyone could!

Cyrus wrote:
    they are easy enough to flash with generic firmware, ie if i could do it anyone could!
    that's alright then. still a lot of unnecessary hassle to get it flashed though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 456 ✭✭ceejay

Thanks for checking that out for me. I think I'm going to stay away from 3 until they sort out their Internet access. I want to be able to use my phone as a modem every once in a while, and look at what I want to look at, not some stripped down version of the Internet. Looks like I'll be sticking with O2 :)

Thanks,

Ciarán.

1huge1 wrote:
    it is in hotmail. when i go into hotmail it looks like the attached pic
    does yours not have the same options?

Advertisement