Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broadband without phone line?

Options
  • 20-10-2006 1:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,162 ✭✭✭

anyone know if any company is doing broadband service without using a phone line..?? in dublin city centre?

West Dublin, ☀️ 7.83kWp ⚡5.66 kWp South West, ⚡2.18 kWp North East

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 a line failure

Try Digiweb, they do a wireless broadband and phone service in most major urban centers.

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭dogpile

IBB Ripwave..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 661 ✭✭✭CountryWise

Clearwire.....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Skatedude

or vodaphone are doing the pcmia wireless cards for laptops,but you can simply get the adapter so u can use it on your desktop, heard they are quite good

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭sambora

Ripwave seems to be popular but I think it's absolutely sh!te

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,227 ✭✭✭gamer

its ok for webbrowsing, i get about 2ook per sec. 4ooo ft from aerial.i have to have ripwave, upstairs window,coonnected to pc by rj45 cable,30ft long.manual says max speed is 512k/persec.takes 5mins to load up 1 you tube video,4minutes duration,i downloaded opera browser in 3mins.vodaphone is faster, there must be no obstacles between you and aerial,los ,line of sight signal,even a tree branch or crane will reduce signal.IF you are student,on budget,its 18euro permonth,no download cap, its ok.Vodaphone is faster if you can find the signal.40euro per month.i had to put box upstairs to get a signal, my pc is downstairs, if you get no signal,bad signal bring it back to shop,you,ll get a full refund,got it in harvey norman,75euro,4 months service with modem,ripwave.included in the price.theres no harm in trying it,you have 3 days to get a refund.if you cant afford to pay 40 for phone/bband ,its ok,PROVIDING you can pick up a good signal,face the transmitter ,as high as possible,run network cable to pc,plug into ripwave unit,rj45 socket in the ripwave.i,m getting all green bars ,good signal quality,according to manual.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 tiggs

DON'T USE IRISH BROAD BAND!!!

Whatever you do DO NOT use Irish Broad Band - ANY of their services... I had murder with them when trying to get it set up - then when I EVENTUALLY did they were taking payments of out my account twice a month and when I coped it they would not refund me just said they'd credit me for furture dates but continued to take it... until I caused murder with them...

Then - I had my work email addy as contact with them as they kept sending me mails that the service was going to go down but I didnt have net access to couldnt check mails!!! d'oh!! So anyway I gave them work addy and then this day about a thousand mails came tru to me!!!! They had sent out a mass email - but did not bcc all the customers they were in the CC so there were over a thousand people sent the message and everyone got everyone elese addresses to which there was full scale war and people started "replying to all" and then the amount of SPAM that came tru was cruel!!! And all IBB had to say was "Oh that's human error" I was appauled!!!!

Needless to say I do not use them now and would never ever again!!!

Well that's just my 2 cents worth!!! Take it or leave it but that's my experience!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,227 ✭✭✭gamer

if you are on a budget,if you r a student,if you are in a place with a bad phone,fails test,its GOOD option,with no download limits.IVE ,downloaded 100 demos, average size 12 meg ,no problems.IF your renting a place 4 a year ,you cannot get a phone line installed,plus broadband ,prbly not worth your while,unless you r rich.IT is not perfect ,you have to put ripwave ,up fairly high at least 12ft up,if you want a good signal at least 4 bars.I can download 5 demos from 2 different web, listen to podcast, and read email browse web,all at the same time.unless you are on top floor ,its not a matter of just turning on pc,plug in ripwave ,install driver and go.IF YOU cant,get good signal give ,it back,get a refund,must bring it back wuithin 5working days.
    IF you wanna be careful set up a 2nd email adress at dublin.ie,just to handle your ripwave account.IF you cant, afford eircom,phone ,its the cheapest way,to get acess to the web, with no caps/download limits.I ,M very happy ,with it as its not possible 4me to get phone bband where i am ,at the moment.its either this,or i go to library to check my email.BE realistic, dont expect 2meg persec on a wireless connection, unless you are very close to aerial, it works on los, line of sight to the transmitter.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭trotter_inc

Skatedude wrote:
    or vodaphone are doing the pcmia wireless cards for laptops,but you can simply get the adapter so u can use it on your desktop, heard they are quite good

My girlfriend uses a wireless card for work, its not too bad, depends on your location though....reception can be quite poor if you go outside of a maint town...

Sometimes, its quite fast, best thing is that you can use it on the move, if Im driving she can work away in the car...

Advertisement