Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Star Trek Nemesis - how bad was this film??

Options
  • 20-10-2006 2:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭

Guys, how bad was this film? Did it destroy Star Trek (yet again)? And did it pay attention to ANYTHING other than having to hire the same cast?

I think it was the crapest film ever made (except for the fight scenes in space, they were admittedly ace). The Romulans, the least known of the Star Trek universe characters...evil, cunning, duplicitous...begging for help??

Where was their massive shoulder pads? The Romulan Senate voting to reopen trade talks with another world???

Picard acts like it was the first time any federation personel made it to Romulus....it wasn't. In an episode of DS9 an interpid class star ship carrying Dr Julian Bashir made it there for talks during the Jem Hadar war...don't know the episode, anyone?

And the age old conundrum...the Soverign class Enterprise is only supposed to have 24 decks. I swear that Reman fell at least 100 stories down the 'well'. Reminds me of Star Trek IV...when they shoot to Deck 74..come on!!!!!

Love to hear your veiws...maybe I've missed some incredibly GLARING inaccuracies???

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,988 ✭✭✭Johnny Storm

IMHO there were some really stoopid elements to the plot:

B4 or B9 or whatever his name is. Why bother? And not even a mention of Lore. Unforgiveable. :mad:

Picards' clone - doesn't look anything like Picard, act like Picard or seem to have any real connection to him. Not threatening in any way. As soon as he gets the upper hand he becomes fatally ill. They should have gotten Timothy Dalton for the role. He (at least) looks like Picard.
    22m.jpg

Honkin' great big Romulan space ship. Takes half an hour to extend its wings before it can blow something up. How Kirk would have laughed. :D

Data's death. This scene failed to move me in any way. YMMV. My reaction was "what the hell did they do that for?" It just seemed arbitrary and unneccessary..

Riker's macho all-action punchup with the Reman no 1. C'mon...pull the other one.

In fact - Remans - why? Romulans not threatening and iconic enough?

I could go on like this for quite some time :rolleyes:

Actually many of the best scenes from that movie were in the deleted scenes section on the DVD, ie Picard having a chat over a glass of wine with Data, and Geordie crying over Data's loss (AFAICR)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

Data's death. This scene failed to move me in any way. YMMV. My reaction was "what the hell did they do that for?" It just seemed arbitrary and unneccessary..

Well he has moved to broadway now. Least he could do way die in a decent way. He may be a android but coomon te ****.

And leaping for one starship to another. can anyone say solar winds ?

And picard and dats flying about in the reman ship in a attack scout thing, Well as far as i knew phasers were pretty powerfully. Oh look... some baddies... FIREEEEE. whoa well done picard with your phasers you killed a few dudes, and did hardly any damge to the ship.

And that ship ( the remen one ) 24 phaser banks. 15+ torpedo bays. the enterprise have what. 12 phaser ( max ) and 6 quantum torpedo ( max )

this is still no match for that ship. i mean ffs the defiant could pwn the enterprise anyday, The enterprise dosent have multiphasic shields. or ablative armour ( cloak... domnt get me started on this ). Yet it can stand its own against a ship the size of quarks moon ( ds9 se04ep9 i think )

But afaik this was a b. braga film, Whos has now been sacked by paramount ( whoa supprising )

Overall this was THE WORST ST film ever. kirk....may...have...talked....like....this. But at least it was some what believable.

Why they didnt make some ds9 films i dont know, it has a stronger char base, Colm meany ( in many acclaimed films ) dax ( in that sitcome :/ )

But what happened to sisco . he was a timmid actor in se01+02 then half way through se03 he grew balls. did he appear in les mis ?

I really could rant for hours here. And im sure at some point i will, But OP i hope this is what your looking for.

but for now, Hab SoSlI' Quch!

and yes Heghlu'meH QaQ jajvam

-Anti

• Registered Users Posts: 6,905 ✭✭✭User45701

it wasent the best movie but it wasent that bad.
    i liked the deleted scenes aswell tho

• Registered Users Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭toiletduck

the whole thing didnt make much sense

• Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭mcgarnicle

Thought it was a good film. Don't really see why so many people hated it to be honest, espacially when compared to Insurection, or the final frontier.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,867 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

It was terrible...

The Romulans - handled very well in TNG and DS9 become cardboard cut-outs in the new movie. And don't even really feature in it except as a vehicle to introduce the scary never-before-heard-of evil Mr Hydes (the Remans).

Data's death - totally unnecessary and then, bad as it was, is watered down/cheapened even further by the follow-on scene between Picard and B4 where look, Data may not be completely gone after all!! :rolleyes:

The Scimitar and (as already mentioned) its 30 minute superweapon startup routine. Let's assume for a minute that they'd managed to destroy the Enterprise and make it to Earth. I'm sure Starfleet would've had a massive fleet ready to meet them - look how fast they assembled 18 decent ships (Prometheus, Defiant, Galaxy-classes etc) when Voyager made it back inside a Borg sphere - and that would've been that.

I too could go on but basically the whole film smacked of apathy and a "let's get this wrapped up so we can all go home" approach. To be honest - and this'll probably not go down well with some people here :) - I don't think the TNG crew/series translated well to the big screen anyway.

While Patrick Stewart is a superb actor and the rest of the cast had their moments during the run of the series, that's where I think they should have stayed as many of the episodes (like Yesterday's Enterprise or Best of Both Worlds) were better Trek AND better sci-fi than the 4 movies they knocked out (with the possible exception of First Contact).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,988 ✭✭✭Johnny Storm

mcgarnicle wrote:
    .... Don't really see why so many people hated it to be honest, espacially when compared to Insurection, or the final frontier.
    Fair point, but I suppose they didn't kill off any main characters in either of those so maybe they could get away with being slightly more lightweight. (or in fact, almost kill off the whole Trek "franchise" like Nemesis may have done)
    IMHO the final frontier had some good bits in it (like the campfire scenes, corny and all as they were ... "row, row, row yer boat" :D but I liked 'em). I think Insurrection is just so crap that most people have forgotten about it. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭Surion

Thanks for that guys! Nice to know my senitments are somewhat shared by you! Might I mention again the Romulan shoulder pads WERE missing!

I was surprised to read Kaiser's remarks about the difficult TNG transition! But, on 'mature reflection' I so totaalllly agree with you. For those out there still (somewhat) undecided...think back.......Troy, kidnapped from Psych conference abord a Romulan Warbird!!! Remember how excited we were? Never before insides of the Rom's ship (not quiet 'never before' but you know what I mean!) and having to stay on board!! Then finally she has to take control and relieve the Rom commander (great actress) for the FIRST time in the TNG series....I was flabbergasted!

And it WAS the best Sci-Fi TV ever at that time!!!!!

The support characters of Troy, LaForge & Crusher were unbelieveably underplayed throughout the TNG films and they could have been so iconic. I'm a huge fan and incredibly disappointed in the whole enterprise (another pun!). Blame Frakes again!

BTW, I ment no. V the final frontier where they shoot up to deck 74! Yes the Row row your boat was ace, and makes me laugh, and the shuttle hanger bay was way cool! All I wanted was to see what was behind the doors & shutters in the bay that we cant see!

I liked first contact & insurrection cos they had a technology focus (ie the turbolift screens etc). Other than the space fight scenes from nemesis - i think its dead!!! Yes, bring on DS9 - but not with Ezri Dax as she was crap! or the son, Jake! The prophets, the tears, the wonder of it all!

Thanks guys for all your input!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 981 ✭✭✭tj-music.com

Have to give them extra points for editing all Wesley Crusher scenes out :D - seriously I think it is not as bad as STar Trek I or V but knowing what the crew and the writers are capable of it was a real bad movie for all fans.

Advertisement